PW Home Counties Butchery Night

Beardo

29 members have voted

1. 1. What night suits you best?

• Monday 8th August
    • Monday 22nd August
    • Monday 12th September

well just got in from work to see all the kind words,

thanks all for your comments i had a great time and a big thank you for the very generous gift awsome,

hope you all enjoyed yourselves as much i did thanks Nick for arranging it all huge thanks to the pub staff for everything especially for clearing my mess up when i finished normally have to do it myself at work :lol: :lol:

thanks stealth stalker for the deer and pelty not only for the deer but for being a great sport with my little twist at the end,

it really was my 1st time doing that sort of thing i was pretty nervy at the beginning but thanks to you lot i felt quite settled thanks again look forward to the next time

colin

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah The paddy whack

Paddywhack (also spelt Paddywack) or Nuchal ligament/Ligamentum nuchae, is a strong elastic ligament or tendon in the midline of the neck of sheep or cattle which relieves the animal of the weight of its head. It is pale yellow in colour. The name is derived from the corruption of paxwax (originally faxwax Old English hair + to grow).

This old man, he played one,

He played knick-knack on my thumb.

With a knick-knack, paddy whack,

Give a dog a bone,

This old man came rolling home.

Hi Colin, where can we get those knives from, my kitchen knives are bloody sharp but they pale into insignificance against those you were using? :good:

we get ours from a company called asco but have a word with your local butcher they may be able to order you one, you want one made by victorenox if they cant get you one i have half a dozen old ones like the ones we used last night you can have one of them

colin

I have the straight edge yellow handled Victorinox boning knife and it's superb (they're cheap as well - only about £12).

If you're struggling to get one, i can get them on cash account at the local butchers supplier. (they also do diamond steels, which i'd highly recommend)

we get ours from a company called asco but have a word with your local butcher they may be able to order you one, you want one made by victorenox if they cant get you one i have half a dozen old ones like the ones we used last night you can have one of them

thanks dude.

Nick I fancy a curved like colin was using last night. I already have a diamond sharpener, but tbh the best one i have was a free ceramic one that came with my diamond one!!! :yes:

A great night - I had the poops at 3 a.m and am blaming it on Stealth Stalker's Canada Goose bilton - well, as is often the case I had had a few drinks and eating bilton seemed like a good idea at the time.

Obviously a big round of applause to all who "arranged" and or "did" and particularly Colin who made it all look so easy.

Mungler your forgetting the the tub of sun dried tomatos, roasted garlic that you decided were to good to leave. Thanks for the drink that push me over the eight :good:

CP

Indeed, Colin was glued to his sharpening steel and without evening knowing it just constantly flicked the knives over to keep the edge.

The knives in my house get sharpened maybe once a week and only 10 minutes before I have to carve up on Sunday, that's it :lol:

However, (like everyone else, I'm sure) I have just sharpened all my knives following Monday's demo. Like everyone else I have also re-assessed my knives and sharpening equipment - like Stuart, I have worked out that already have everything I need (and much I don't need) and that any failure in my knives to stay sharp / retain a decent correct is entirely down to me :lol:

I expect there is a rush on at Lakeland for the burger press that got a load of Oohs! and Ahhhs, was like the unveiling of the latest Tupperware at an agents convention, sad or what?

Actually that was really funny, thanks for reminding me :good:

Also I now have 'mincer envy' as well, mine won't take munjac or roe meat unless it is half frozen, otherwise it just gums up.

If you are looking at one of these:

http://www.johnlewis.com/185055/Product.aspx

It will gum up, with anything but the leanest cuts, they are sold by everyone but all seem to be made by the same company.

Stuart.. Are you suggesting that one, or is that the one that bungs up?

Post EFA (long lunch ;) )

It's not how it is powered it must be the gap between the cutter disk and stationary disk.

They are mass produced so you may get lucky if the tollerences stack up.

All this means I will never be able to sell mine on here :oops:

Post EFA (long lunch ;) )

It's not how it is powered it must be the gap between the cutter disk and stationary disk.

They are mass produced so you may get lucky if the tollerences stack up.

All this means I will never be able to sell mine on here :oops:

We've got a Kitchencraft mincer as sold by John Lewis. I thought it would be the same as my old mum used when I were a lad. Unfortunately that's not the case and it seems to mush everything up.

We've got a Kitchencraft mincer as sold by John Lewis. I thought it would be the same as my old mum used when I were a lad. Unfortunately that's not the case and it seems to mush everything up.

The one your mum used was probably made by Spong - who went bust in the early 80's.

Salter Housewares, who bought the remnants of the Spong range from the receiver, had horrendous difficulty finding a manufacturer of tin-plated cast-iron mincers of equivalent quality at a sensible price, so discontinued the range.

I guess that the John Lewis current version is a Chinese copy.