Crow Shooting tips

ajm1979

Hi all had a phonecall from a new permission this morning asking me to come and try and reduce the numbers of crows on a dairy farm, Farmers says there are large numbers around the farm buidlings and in the fields. Crows are not something i've spent any time on so looking for some general advice. Popping down to have a look around the farm tonight.

I would hazard a guess that they will be jackdaws and rooks rather than crows, however as it is your first time out there, just sit somewhere that is comfortable and watch for where the birds are coming from and going too. Then you can move to the best ambush area, this may change due to wind and disturbance around the farm.

Just don`t shoot any machinery or buildings !!!!!! :oops:

Its not my first time shooting round a farm :yes: just havent been asked to deal with corvids in any large numbers. Am I better off using crow decoys and a flapper or just sitting well hidden? Whats is the best option using the semi out with something like 36g of no 6 or sitting a bit further back using the .17hmr?

Ive only got 6-8 decoys at the minute as dont normally go for crows, will that be enough?

one is better than none! you should be fine with those numbers, just put them so they are easily seen, getting a few more will help. I am sure Steve b if he hasnt gone on holiday yet, will be along to give advice

Yeah,that's plenty. If they're coming in to the yard to feed,they're not going to be hard to bring in to the gun,your decoys will draw them into the area you want to shoot them in. If they're coming in in good numbers,use the semi and take them on the wing,you'll get a bigger bag. ;)

Decoys and a caller such as the primus will work well

The above are highly recommended. Another good bit of kit, which will prove invaluable for crows/jackdaws, is a flapper, fitted with an intermittent timer.

Used in conjuntion with the Primos Power call, it has worked everytime for me.

Steve.

You may find that they travel between the farm buildings and the fields.We find they congregate more over fields with plenty of cow **** in them,especially once it's rained.As others have said,8 deeks are plenty,we only have those and a couple of plastic maggies.Early morning,around or soon after first milk should be ok.We get about 30/40 for a mornings shooting,just hiding under overhanging Hawthorn bushes.

Would the farmer allow you to hide inside the doors of one of the feed buildings?It may be this that the birds are after.You can build up big bags this way.the birdsfly into the building,see you,brake like mad in mid air presenting you with an easy shot.

You don't need 36's,30's will do it.Have fun. :good:

I have done quite a bit of rook bashin this year, i find that early morning works best as they tend to be hungry and decoy well.

I shot a double century bag last weekend and all were shot with 28 grammes 7.5's. your number of deeks will be enough. but i think if you can get a floater set up that will also work well.

Good luck with it and hope it goes well. :good: