shot gun licence

fowler__88

hi

i am going to apply for a shotgun licence but i have a theft conviction 3 years ago went to court and got a fine,just wondering what are the chances of still getting the licence or am i waisting my time.

Ash

The BASC are give very good advice!

I guess there are a few questions they will ask, but you may have a chance?

How old are you? Was it a young and stupid thing and you're now growing up a bit?

Is this the only thing you've ever done wrong/been caught doing?

How is your lifestyle now? Settled with family or single and still partying?

Generally they will just come around, have a chat and try to figure you out. Three years isn't that long so it could mean a refusal but at the same time it's a very minor offence so may not bother them too much? If they do say no then you can always ask again later. Five years is a good time to leave - if it was a more serious crime then that's where the law states that you can be given consideration but I don't know if that counts for more minor stuff?

Phone your firearms department and ask

0161 856 0805 or joe.frangleton@gmp.pnn.police.uk

Edited by njc110381

Ash I would be surpried if they refused it as the conviction isnt a relevant one. Take the other guys advice phone and ask your fire arms department if they say you would be refused,then speak to basc and see what they say I am sure I am right.

As for the comment above "they also said they have to find a good reason to refuse a SGC unlike, A FAC where you need to prove a good reason to have one" thats exactly my point a theft charge isn't a good enough reason.

If Basc confirm this make your application and quote the positive comment from BASC in a seperate letter with your application. If not your done for no SGC.

best of luck

also a good point of reference is the firearms home office guidelines stick that in google and you'll get a pdf version of this document that all police forces should be following but remember they all interpret it differently :blink:

I guess there are a few questions they will ask, but you may have a chance?

How old are you? Was it a young and stupid thing and you're now growing up a bit?

Is this the only thing you've ever done wrong/been caught doing?

How is your lifestyle now? Settled with family or single and still partying?

Generally they will just come around, have a chat and try to figure you out. Three years isn't that long so it could mean a refusal but at the same time it's a very minor offence so may not bother them too much? If they do say no then you can always ask again later. Five years is a good time to leave - if it was a more serious crime then that's where the law states that you can be given consideration but I don't know if that counts for more minor stuff?

Phone your firearms department and ask

0161 856 0805 or joe.frangleton@gmp.pnn.police.uk

Hmmm if he had knicked anything of mine wouldnt have thought it minor, Hope they say no pay your dues come back in 5 years, theft is a miserable crime in my view.

Hmmm if he had knicked anything of mine wouldnt have thought it minor, Hope they say no pay your dues come back in 5 years, theft is a miserable crime in my view.

lets face it Doc they would be equipping him to do a proper bank job so really they will want to be pretty damned sure he won't. Like you i don't see it as being that minor an offence

Like you i don't see it as being that minor an offence

Any offence could be considered serious depending on how you look at it. Yes, pinching stuff is bad but I'd rather see a petty thief woth a shotgun than someone who's been done recently for getting punchy after a few beers when out in town. Theft isn't a violent offence and as such an applicant may not be deemed unsuitable to hold a SGC for safety reasons. If the offence was assault then perhaps even if that resulted in a fine it would still point towards the person not being all that respectful or of stable character.

Lets face it a thief isn't someone who deserves anything, but I've done it in my past and I'm not proud of it. More to the point it doesn't make me a bad person now.

I had £18k in tools stole last year and would love to see them in a box and they do not deserve a shotgun but I know people who as a child stole choclate and got caught and trust these guys totally now.

The question was do we think it will affect his chances not to judge him.

If you did time then yes but is say if cautioned you should be ok

Any offence could be considered serious depending on how you look at it. Yes, pinching stuff is bad but I'd rather see a petty thief woth a shotgun than someone who's been done recently for getting punchy after a few beers when out in town. Theft isn't a violent offence and as such an applicant may not be deemed unsuitable to hold a SGC for safety reasons. If the offence was assault then perhaps even if that resulted in a fine it would still point towards the person not being all that respectful or of stable character.

Lets face it a thief isn't someone who deserves anything, but I've done it in my past and I'm not proud of it. More to the point it doesn't make me a bad person now.

hmm not sure I agree with all you say, to my knowledge I have never stolen anything, I think if someone has been convicted of a crime such as theft then it is reasonable that they pay for this crime, refusing them things they want for a period of time is not a bad way of preventing the crime, I know most people cherish there shotgun license and will in most cases be highly aware that stepping outside the law may cause it to be removed, a deterrent in every way.

This is not meant to be a personal attack on the poster, but my general feeling

Only one child? That's not patriotic as you need atleast 5 kids and to be claiming benefit for 8 years to stand a chance in this country .

Did you do time? That would be counted against you.

I know violent guys with a sgc so go for it, infact my mate got arrested for breaking bottle over someones head and still kept his some how

This kind of thread is popping up quite alot on this and other forums. I personally don't think that as a community we should be encouraging people with convictions to apply for tickets. Just imagine what the media will make of it if they get wind"guns dished out to criminals" headlines like that and no doubt worse will erode what little public support we have now.

And theft is not a minor offence it shows dishonesty and lack of integrity!

I know People change but I wouldn't personally entertain it after just 3 years!

Just my 2pence worth.

Yep, In England you´ll stand a reasonable chance of getting one. Were you in NI the chances wouldn´t be so good, as even a lowly shotgun is a full FAC here, even though restricted to 2 shots, and they also require you to give consent to see your doctor. So if ever applying for one here, then ensure you have plenty of time, but the FAC branch is very good and helpfull.

I returned to the UK after having travelled the world since 78, and decided to settle over here, and only when I got here did I apply, and am just waiting for it to come through now. I did a lot of different types of shooting on the continent (And in the UK before leaving), and on the continent most laws are that shotguns are part 1 FAC too.

Edited by Redditch

It seems like barely a week goes by without a "what are my chances" thread. If you put all the advice together, I suspect it would not make pleasant reading. Nor would the list of "acceptable" offences.

Why do the people not just seek advice from an FLO, rather than garner support on a forum.

I am of the opinion that not all are genuine. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why are you all judging. I hate thiefs and would chop their fingers off but all he's asking is do we think its possible to get one.

Many people break the law every day but the difference is they don't get caught speeding, dangerous driving, dealing cash, and as for making a mokery of us all if he gets it well we have enough thieves in parlament who control the country so I say apply and see.

By the way after having my workshop emptied 7 times and my van twice plus trucks stolen I hate thieving but I don't know the situation .

Why are you all judging. I hate thiefs and would chop their fingers off but all he's asking is do we think its possible to get one.

Many people break the law every day but the difference is they don't get caught speeding, dangerous driving, dealing cash, and as for making a mokery of us all if he gets it well we have enough thieves in parlament who control the country so I say apply and see.

By the way after having my workshop emptied 7 times and my van twice plus trucks stolen I hate thieving but I don't know the situation .

He has said it was a chainsaw, if it had been yours would you be saying the same thing ? If the answer is yes, you are a better person than me.

hmm not sure I agree with all you say, to my knowledge I have never stolen anything, I think if someone has been convicted of a crime such as theft then it is reasonable that they pay for this crime, refusing them things they want for a period of time is not a bad way of preventing the crime, I know most people cherish there shotgun license and will in most cases be highly aware that stepping outside the law may cause it to be removed, a deterrent in every way.

This is not meant to be a personal attack on the poster, but my general feeling

just be carefull dont want to knock that halo of your head eh lol

realy thou he stole he admits it he is better now whats the problem? if he is not fit to own then the foa will make that choice not us.

just as a note i know i guy called billie boom boom who is a wee bit short so one night at the pub he was getting picked on he went home got his shotgun walked back to the pub where the guys where haveing a smoke outside at about 100m he let both barrles of at them :blink: :blink: the ducked no one was hit he still has his sgc