Is a rotary really worth it?

Hi guys, as a yound shooter l8iving on a farm i am hoping to get alot of pigeon shooting at harvest, over the stubbles :D .

I have 10 deocys and a hide etc. I amm wandering about getting a rotary machine, however they seenm quite expensive :/ , is it really worth it? Does anyone know of a cheap machine for sale anywhere?

Cheers HR

A rotary is not essential, its just part of your armoury.

Some days it will pull in the pigeons when nothing else seems to work, other days it may spook them (although this doesn't happen very often to me).

I always have mine with me, but I don't always use it.

There are some very cheap rotarys about, which are probably OK if you are only going to use it a few times a year.

If you want something reliable, then you are better off buying from a reputable outlet and paying that extra few pounds.

Try the UKShootwarehouse website (the adverts at the top of the page), their machines are very reliable and you also get a Pigeon Watch discount when you buy from them.

Rotary machines are probably at their best at harvest time. There isn't many times i go decoying without one and i shoot my fair share.

If you can afford one, i'd say get one. You can probably pick one up for around £50-60.

I would say i use 1 99 times out of 100 find them really good for pulling in the birds where if using just statics would not .

Some love them some hate them ,same with alot of gear you can get ie floater i hate them i find birds come over to them then spook where as with the rotary by the time they see something is not right they should be dead :yes:

Would not go out with out 1 now days :good:

I've got one but never had that much success to be honest. I find they pull them in but then spook them before they are in good range. About the only time I have had success is in swathed rape where normal decoys get swallowed up too easily.

Same here, I've tried one all year this year, I think I must be doing something wrong as it has never really paid dividends for us, it gets them interested then spooks them way before I can get a shot off.

Bouncers seem to be best for us.

Same here, I've tried one all year this year, I think I must be doing something wrong as it has never really paid dividends for us, it gets them interested then spooks them way before I can get a shot off.

:stupid:

And then a couple of flappers in the pattern to finish the job. Although I'm far from complaining, the one thing that I don't for the life of me understand is why I shoot so many birds that are hovering around or over the flappers on occasion.

the rotary works for me more often than not, i think if people are not having much success with one it will be down to placement of it rather than the actual machine itself, sometimes i end up moving it 3 or 4 times in a session until i find the right place for it, sometimes just stick it out and its bang on where it should be.like to add a floater to one side of decoys as well for a bit more added attraction.

Like most people, I do like to have one in my armoury, but don't always use it.

To be honest ,my truck is full of equipment, when I get to where I'm going to shoot, then I decide what I'm going to take with me.

Right now, for example, in the standing crops, rotary can be awesome. But, as already has been pointed out, placement can make all the difference.

So basically, if its within your financial grasp, then go for it.

If not then keep your eyes and ears open for a secondhand one, because they do crop up now and then, but they tend to get snapped up quickly.

the rotary works for me more often than not, i think if people are not having much success with one it will be down to placement of it rather than the actual machine itself, sometimes i end up moving it 3 or 4 times in a session until i find the right place for it, sometimes just stick it out and its bang on where it should be.like to add a floater to one side of decoys as well for a bit more added attraction.

I agree, I'm no expert, I just can't seem to get it to work, maybe too many people use them in my vicinity!

I shot for 5 years without one, had some good results best 133 in a day so far, however i treated myself to a rotary and the first time i used it one pigeon didnt need shooting it knocked itself silly trying to land on the rotary(dumb feral) but they do seem to be attracted to a bit of movement as long as its not you. :good:

I always take the rotary but don't use it unless it is needed; i.e. pigeons in the air and not coming to the deeks. Last time I went shooting over clover the magnet pulled them close enough for me to get some cracking flighting. If I'd had relied on the deeks and floaters they wouldn't have come close enough. (The pigeons wanted to be on set-aside barley where I couldn't shoot because of game birds.

At harvest time or on fallen crops the magnet is worth its weight in gold for me.

What is the consensus of opinion regarding magnet placement? What are the most successful set-ups folks?

I always place mine to the rear of the decoy layout, so it mimics pigeons landing behind those already on the ground (which is what they do in real life).

Occasionally, depending on the wind, I will place it slightly to one side of the layout (the side nearest the hide)

I always try to convince myself it isn't needed, more because it adds so much weight if you've got a bit of a walk :rolleyes: On the few times i've used one it helped bring the birds in, especially with freshly shot birds on the arms as opposed to those spinny wing or foam jobbies.

I always place mine to the rear of the decoy layout, so it mimics pigeons landing behind those already on the ground (which is what they do in real life).

Occasionally, depending on the wind, I will place it slightly to one side of the layout (the side nearest the hide)

Thanks Cranfield. Generally how far back from the pattern?

Everyone has their own way, but i find it works best when placed between the main decoy pattern and the hide.

same here prefer it inbetween the hide and decoys

I always have mine infront of the decoy layout some times only a few yards sometimes 20 yards works best for me :good:

Maybe you have it too near the landing area, try putting it further off to one side, and on the very tip of the pattern

Maybe you have it too near the landing area, try putting it further off to one side, and on the very tip of the pattern

In all honesty we have tried alsorts, we just seem to always do better with 'normal' decoys. I've had some decent days with the magnet, but not many.

This'll be the first concentrated effort on the harvested crop with it this year (we bought it a little late in the year)so it may redeem itself!

Thanks.