Using older shotguns

Is it just me or does anybody else prefer using older guns with a bit of character?

I've got a sleeved 12 bore that is my beater, it's as tight as a drum and has immaculate bores AND tons of charm! I just love using something that is 100+ years old, to think how many people have shot with it before, the things it's seen....and it looks gorgeous! Not a best gun or even a known maker but an honest English side by side with a lovely patina.

So am i mad or are there other fans of using more "vintage" kit?

I've got an old BSA SxS, it's a lovely old thing but it kicks a bit and has seen better days...needs slinging really, i'd like to get an old hammer gun for a change but wouldn't know what to look for? what sort of money should I look to spend on something basic but serviceable??

I know its not really really old but my webly & scott 700 boxlock ejector is a sweet bit of kit.It was handed down from my father who has put all manner of loads through it and shot just about ever legal winged bird in the uk with it( and possibly a few not) As a well respected clay shot in the midlands he would take the side by side to local shoots and clean up, much to the surprise of some of the show offs with much more modern guns. Had it revamped a few years back as it had a bit of headplay and loose screws, never expose it to anymore than 28gr homeloads now,ideal walk about,pheasant or hide gun.

Billy after Bill badger in Rupert the bear?? :D

Not all that old I know but I really do love using my old Side by Side which is about 60 years old! It get's far more outings than my Lincold Over and under. My (old) SxS is an Italian made one and looks very similar to a Churchill XXV, it looks great with plenty of "character" and is a treat to carry and shoot!

I have a J P Saur and Sohn S x S got it off PW and its a lovely thing, Tim Greenwood serviced it for me and recons its a top quality shotgun, great to shoot as well, anyway I contacted Sig Saur to see if they had any records of the serial no.

Got a polite e-mailback saying that due to a major fire in the 1940s!! :oops: They had lost all there records of early firearms :/ I couldnt help thinking Lancaster or Flying Fortress arsonists :lol:

Thomas Bland 10 bore.....2 5/8" chambers, Damascus barrelled hammer and nitro proofed.

Cant get any ammo for it now and dont want to put non toxic through it so enquired about retiring it from my ticket.

Licensing dept went on about proof house certificate, if they think i'm deactivating they can ram it.

Its an obsolete calibre as defined by the Home Office, no ticket or security required if I keep it as a curio.

I have a J P Saur and Sohn S x S got it off PW and its a lovely thing, Tim Greenwood serviced it for me and recons its a top quality shotgun, great to shoot as well, anyway I contacted Sig Saur to see if they had any records of the serial no.

Got a polite e-mailback saying that due to a major fire in the 1940s!! :oops: They had lost all there records of early firearms :/ I couldnt help thinking Lancaster or Flying Fortress arsonists :lol:

I just had to cut and paste that to a friend in Texas, his father got shot down in the last week of the war, it could have been him :lol:

Hammer guns have a lot going for them. The one in the photograph (left), is about 160 years old. We have had some good shooting holidays together. If you hear thunder on a sunny day, that's us!

Have also shot pheasant with a flintlock, but the delay in firing takes a bit of getting used to. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

going to get a double barrel flintlock, i think they have a certain elegance!

GOOD MAN ! great too see there is still hope for the shooting race of people ! you are a man of great taste ! if you'r skillfull with it then you will have great fun shooting it , a bit difficult to get new flints for unless you are skilled at flint knapping .

Not long ago a chap at a Muzzle Loaders clay shoot shot 50 birds straight with a double filnter , so it can be done .

If you get any **** about it from the Rambo's with their camo 13 shot 3&half inch hevi shot magnams that kill birds at a 150yards blah ! blah !( Ive met em!) just tell em to keep seeing the Doctor ! & Keep taking the tablets ! & for heavens sake tell em not to **** in case they blow their "Teeth out!"

I have a double flint lock by Scudamore of Birmingham its about 20g & this season I will be having a go at Greylags on my farm with it .

If you want to Chat get in touch . Pole Star

Got an old family ward hammer gun, sadly getting to stage where bits are dropping off, recondition, deactivate or scrap??? Can't make my mind up.

refurb! as long as the tubes are good! if the are bad then have a wall hanger, I find myself being drawn more and more to a hammergun!

refurb! as long as the tubes are good! if the are bad then have a wall hanger, I find myself being drawn more and more to a hammergun!

lovely old damascussed barrels, good as the day they were made. its an old jones type underlever, unfortunately i lost the hinge pin on its last trip out and a couple of pieces of decoration have dropped off the fore end. I suspect it'll probably cost more than it's worth to have them replaced.......

Thomas Bland 10 bore.....2 5/8" chambers, Damascus barrelled hammer and nitro proofed.

Cant get any ammo for it now and dont want to put non toxic through it so enquired about retiring it from my ticket.

Licensing dept went on about proof house certificate, if they think i'm deactivating they can ram it.

Its an obsolete calibre as defined by the Home Office, no ticket or security required if I keep it as a curio.

If you can get 10g cases trim them to the chamber lenth of your old gun , recap em & reload em with black powder & shot ,but NOT STEEL its too hard on damascus barrels . The case dose not have to be rolled over just press on the top wad & seal it home with some silicon them you can reuse the cases many more times over than the ones that have been rolled . If you dont have a black powder ticket its well worth getting one just to keep the old gun in service. I use this method on my 8g cases & have used it on 4g brass cases to , best keep away from nitro with old guns its the wrong stuff for em & black is much more fun . Pole Star . ps make sure you clean it straight after use

lovely old damascussed barrels, good as the day they were made. its an old jones type underlever, unfortunately i lost the hinge pin on its last trip out and a couple of pieces of decoration have dropped off the fore end. I suspect it'll probably cost more than it's worth to have them replaced.......

if the barrels are good well worth investigating the cost if you can find someone who can do a sympathetic refurb at a price you can have a very usable gun back again if its been in the family for a while its got to be worth keeping for future generations!