Age Issues

Hi all,

I am 16 years old and about to send off for my shotgun certificate and i am unsure about the law on the age restrictions of shooting unsupervised.

Once my certificate has been granted, i believe i can shoot unsupervised given I have permission from the land owner (correct me if i'm wrong, i read that on the BASC website ) but am i allowed to take a shotgun to my shooting permission unsupervised as my permission is just down the road and my only means of transport is walking?

Thanks guys :)

Phil

I'm not sure walking down the road with a shotgun over your shoulder is a wise choice. The way I see it the less people know you have it the better unless you can walk

across the fields out of sight.

I'm sure some of the other guys can fill you in on the laws as Im pretty knew to it all also.

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/requestinginformation/firearmslicensing/agelimits

my firearms department says you can carry a shotgun in a secure case in a public place look at the link tells you what you can and cant do. althow im 23 and wouldnt even think of walking down the street to my local land which is about 600 yards away. i got my license at 17 and couldnt drive so i got my dad or friend to take me where i wanted to go beats walking an getting mugged.

Edited by Bowen20

I walk to a lot of the places i shoot at, they are not that far and some are my own fields, i have never had a problem. Maybe something to do with where you live. I live fairly rural in Cornwall, but if i lived in Moss Side or Brixton i proberly would not walk around with a gun in a case. (No offence Moss Side or Brixton)

From 15 years of age you can own,and go out unsupervised with your shotgun.

As regards walking to your shoot with a sleeved gun,it is perfectly lawful,but depending on where you live the decision as to how wise it is,is entirely up to you.My nephew regularly bikes to his shoots,with his gun in a hard case over his shoulder,but we live in a very rural area.

If you feel unsafe walking to your shoot with a sleeved gun,then that is a sad(and infuriating)reflection on our society in general,and perhaps something you should be contacting your MP about. :good:

With referral to the replies above the town in which I live would be generally ok but im from northern Ireland the capital of illegal paramilataries. Anybody could be just around the corner or driving past and so it's best for me to keep the hole thing low key.

That's not to say you shouldn't do it. Ofcoarse there will be places that are perfectly safe to walk with your shotgun safety in a sleeve. It's pretty much for yourself to asess the situation and make you own mind up but for me it always best kept as secretive as possible

i cycle to all my permissions and in general have never had any trouble but i did have a worrying moment though when i was cycling back from lamping one night las winter, i was on my way down a long stretch with tree's either side for about half a mile when a i had a van of gypsy's slow down whilst driving past me from head on then turned round in field entrance and came past even slower for a real good second look and accelerated off when another car came round the corner in the distance, not saying they was going to do anything but it made me realise how vunerable you can leave your self without thinking about it, so now i try to get dropped off when ever possible for lamping as its not worth risking it.

if i was you if you intend on walking try to always go with a friend or you could see if any pw members live near you and exchange shooting for a lift that way you've got a mentor if you want one and a safer mode of travel.

gary

The problem your gonna have is mate buying a gun and ammo as you are not 18 yet - hence I waited till I was 17 as I didn't have anyone who could gift me the ammo on a regular basis. But now the law has changed to 18. Yes at 15 yo can use the gun on land you have permission to shoot over unsupervised.

Yes you can walk down the road with a secured, unseen (in a slip) shotgun. However the FEO will not be happy with you walking to all your shoots. What would happen if someone came up to you beat you up and stole your gun or even went on to commit a crime, not only would you lose your licence you would be in serious trouble. If its 200 yards down a country road (like mine is) fair enough but if it's a bus ride, I'd say be very careful

The problem your gonna have is mate buying a gun and ammo as you are not 18 yet - hence I waited till I was 17 as I didn't have anyone who could gift me the ammo on a regular basis. But now the law has changed to 18. Yes at 15 yo can use the gun on land you have permission to shoot over unsupervised.

Yes you can walk down the road with a secured, unseen (in a slip) shotgun. However the FEO will not be happy with you walking to all your shoots. What would happen if someone came up to you beat you up and stole your gun or even went on to commit a crime, not only would you lose your licence you would be in serious trouble. If its 200 yards down a country road (like mine is) fair enough but if it's a bus ride, I'd say be very careful

My older brother has a sgc and he lives with us still so he will supply me the ammo and gun, I understand what you mean about the risk involved of the gun being stolen but I have no other means of transport and I walk down to my shoot with a buddy usually anyway and every one knows each other and yes it's literally just down the bottom of my road :)

Phil

rubbish

you are just as likely to get smacked and your gun stolen when you walk from front door to car

or someone jump you as you get out of your car after driving to your field of choice

if someone sees you with a gun and they want it, it dont matter where you are they will attempt to get it, if you are that worried about having it astolen, leave it in the shop!

i have walked through malton (smallish town in north yorks) umpteen times with shotgun in slip slung obver me shoulder and a pocket full of cartridges, got on bus full of many old and young...jumped off bus, walked through big village to where i shoot (i have done this since i was 15, now 20, not a big person, i dont doubt many people could 'do me over' and take the gun, but i dont worry about it as i arent breaking the law)

it is perfectly legal, no hardcase or lock needed, just a good old gunslip zipped or buckled up

Edited by TJ91

Have to agree with last post;it has nothing to do with your FEO or anyone else how you conduct your business lawfully,and carrying your sleeved gun in a public place is lawful.

Thank god for a correct and sensible post.

The Firearms Act does not even stipulate that a shotgun needs to be in a case whilst being carried in a public place !!, although you may be asking for trouble walking down the high street exercising your right to do so.

:stupid:

I am disabled and as a result of my disability, the DVLA withdrew my driving licence, so like you, I rely on walking/lifts from friends or public transport to get to my local clay ground. I carry my gun in a Napier takedown gunslip, unless you know your stuff it could even be a squash raquet etc. Cartridges, shooting vest etc in a sports bag with shoulder strap - never been stopped or even looked at in all the time.

Yes, I know that as licence holders, we should all be able to carry a gun anywhere, (before I get shouted at), but I take the point that some people will never (want to) understand and the less I advertise, the less hassle I get! :good:

Edited by Bloke