Introduce myself

Holland&Holland

Hi, because i am new member on this forum i like to introduce myself. I am Ruud and i am Dutch. I started my hunting career as a beater. I liked it so much that i got my hunting diploma (takes you in the Netherlands roughly more then a year of study and two theory exams, rifle exam, clay pigeonshooting exam and safety exam !). Like most people started with the small game. By now, after 18 years, i have been lucky enough to have had experience in almost any european gamespecies, like for instance wild boar, roe, deer, fallow, mountain goat..... But i'm also (still) very keen for shooting pigeon and rabbit! :lol:

Every year i am going a couple of times to a friend of mine in Lincolnshire to shoot pigeons and other vermin (fallow counts as vermin in these parts i'm told :blink: ).

The reason i registred myself is that i think it is a good thing to exchange different experiences and thoughts about shooting and hunting. That's why i explain a little bit about my background so maybe i can answer some of your questions. And of course i have a couple of my own. :lol:

So if anyone has some tips what's the best way to shoot muntjac (stalking, high seat, where do they like to stay etc..) please let me know.

Thanks for the welcome. By the way, how do you get pictures and stuff like location etc... in the left "banner" under my nickname Holland&Holland. Tried clicking on it but can't get it right. Looks a bit dull now, you guys all have nice pictures. :*)

Aha tried a bit more, and got something right :blink:

Maybe in future some personal pics.

Edited by Holland&Holland

hi Ruud

Nice to welcome another Dutch friend,

I have spent a few pleasant evenings testing both barrels in Holland with the local ladies :blink:

I used to work near Coevorden & Groningen, I once went to the Coevorden Goose fair and was late for work by two days due to too much local hospitality :lol:

All that mayonnaise with the Kip and chips……fantastic

Well that's a lot of welcome ! Makes you feel almost at home :lol:

@Lord Geordie; yes safety is a big issue over here. For the safety exam you'll have to walk through a wood and over a patch of grassland and climb over fences and through ditches, all in a safe manner. (for instance; break gun and pull cartridges out, don't point the barrel at the instructor !) During the walk several clay pigeon traps are situated on the track. When the clay flies you'll have to decide if it is safe to shoot the clay. On certain positions they place dummies in the wood, if you point at them with your gun in a 45 degree angle, you failed ! (whether you shoot or not). Then you stand at a fixed position and you get clays over you (like pheasants :lol: ), but the tricky bit is that again there are dummies and fellow hunters present. So no shooting at them (of course) or point at them in a 45 degree angle. This has to be decided pretty quick, but i think this kind of training pays off.

Most young (say under 50) shooters did the exam and are responsible shooters. With some of the older gentleman (in the old days there wasn't an exam) i've looked in quite a few barrels :blink: .

Edited by Holland&Holland