.17HMR screw-up

CZ550Kevlar

I was getting my rifle ready for a couple of long nights of rabbit culling Monday and Tuesday nights, got my moderator out of the holder and thought i would check the baffles inside only to find the first baffle is completely bent out of shape and a funny shaped hole cut out of it, i then started thinking if i put the baffles back in properly after cleaning which i know i did, i should add it`s a Scirocco SM11 moderator which is the best i have ever had on the rifle for the price.

I`m now ringing around on a Sunday to find somewhere in Kent open to check stock with no luck so i`m going to have to phone when i`m working in the Sidcup area tomorrow and find somewhere, Does anyone know a Kent stockist with one in?

Now onto the bit that makes me rethink if i should feel stupid or not, i was looking on the Edgar brothers web site to find a stockist and i found they do a Scirocco moderator designed for 16" barrels, when i purchased the rifle and mod it was a factory length barrel but when i took it into get re-cur from the same chap i didn`t give any thought to it, now i know for future reference and anyone else reading this post hopefully will not make the same mistake as me.

Sooo in short i`m after a .17HMR moderator for a 16" barrel 1/2" 20 UNF thread, that can be put onto a .22 moderator slot in the Kent area and not lots of money, suggestions please.

EDIT:- Saddlery and Gunroom at Westerham have offered a SAK moderator for £40 which will do a .22RF and a .17HMR which means i can use my open .22 moderator slot to get one and then worry about clearing my .17HMR moderator slot off in a week or so.

How do i get the .17HMR mod off my ticket? i know i have to notify Kent police that i have disposed of it with the usual form but do i need a receipt from a RFD or something stating they have scrapped it for me?

Edited by CZ550Kevlar

How do i get the .17HMR mod off my ticket? i know i have to notify Kent police that i have disposed of it with the usual form but do i need a receipt from a RFD or something stating they have scrapped it for me?

why not give Kent Firearms Department a ring and ask?

Alan :hmm:

I have the same mod fitted to my cz .22lr and made the mistake of not cleaning it,when i did get round to stripping it there was a build up of crud and the closer the baffles were to the barrell the more out of shape they were with a bulge like a wedding ring,so much build up infact that i had to make a tool to get them out.

I would suggest cleaning OFTEN and swapping baffles end to end,still a highly recomended moderator,quiet and light.

You guys must have different ears to me, there isn't a decent mod for the HMR (or WMR) and I am not in the least bit impressed with the Sirocco.

My first, a SM11 melted internally as some others have found.

In fairness Edgar Brothers did replace it (when it was about 2.5 years old) with a SIROCCO-SM1116 (thats what it said on the box), this generally has more metal baffles in than the SM11, I'm guessing the one they sent me was some sort of special as ALL the baffles were metal.

Well, it hasn't melted but the sound reduction is nothing clever at all! :no:

The SM11 16 is the version designed for use on .17HMR rifles with 16" barrels, my standard SM11 was perfect until i had the rifle shortened to 16" but didn`t know about the moderator problems so it was too late and find myself with a screwed up moderator. I just hope someone in Kent tomorrow has a SM11 16 in stock, the only people i stand a chance of having it are Wilson & Wilson or John Forsey, Saddlery and gunroom only have SAK which they assure me will be fine on a .17HMR with a 16" barrel and that`s their gunsmith who supplied that info.

The SM11 originally had aluminium baffles which were ok for longer length .17HMR rifles. When this mod was mounted on the 16 inch barrel things got a bit too hot for it and the baffles melted. Edgar Bros. replaced mine for me at no cost and no fuss with stainless steel baffles. I have had no further problems and I agree with Vampire the sound moderation is very effective. :good:

Do you have the moderator named on your FAC? If not, it is as simple as taking the mod you have into your RFD for disposal and buying a new one. The other option if the mod isn't listed by make/model is to just buy another for air rifle use and stick it on your HMR, then bin the wrecked one. :yes:

Edited by njc110381

The SM11 originally had aluminium baffles which were ok for longer length .17HMR rifles. When this mod was mounted on the 16 inch barrel things got a bit too hot for it and the baffles melted. Edgar Bros. replaced mine for me at no cost and no fuss with stainless steel baffles. I have had no further problems and I agree with Vampire the sound moderation is very effective. :good:

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

My CZ Silhouette HMR has the FULL length 22.5inch barrel and still melted the Sirocco SM11.

Do you have the moderator named on your FAC? If not, it is as simple as taking the mod you have into your RFD for disposal and buying a new one. The other option if the mod isn't listed by make/model is to just buy another for air rifle use and stick it on your HMR, then bin the wrecked one. :yes:

It is named as a Scirocco, another member mentioned about just buying a new scirocco SM11 16" for air rifle use and binning the old one and nobody is none the wiser.

If your going to bin it CZ550Kevlar, bin it my way :good::D

The baffle in the picture and the 2 below it had to be pulled out with pliers and bashed with a rod they were mangled so much. i have sent an e-mail to Edgars and see what they say, who knows i might even get free baffles. If i can`t get them you can have it for postage.

post-16509-0-36454800-1311542851.jpg

post-16509-0-32569900-1311542868.jpg

post-16509-0-92278900-1311542884.jpg

You guys must have different ears to me, there isn't a decent mod for the HMR (or WMR) and I am not in the least bit impressed with the Sirocco.

My first, a SM11 melted internally as some others have found.

In fairness Edgar Brothers did replace it (when it was about 2.5 years old) with a SIROCCO-SM1116 (thats what it said on the box), this generally has more metal baffles in than the SM11, I'm guessing the one they sent me was some sort of special as ALL the baffles were metal.

Well, it hasn't melted but the sound reduction is nothing clever at all! :no:

Fire your HMR or WMR into a suitable safe backstop at about 8ft with the moderator fitted, you will or should eliminate the sonic crack and be left with just the ingnition noise and that of the impact. Unless you slow the bullet down you will always get a sonic crack, however in open country away from the muzzle it is very difficult to actually hear that sonic crack, hence the moderator is more effective than you might actually think.

case in point my hmr couldn't be heard downstairs if shot from the upstairs window ( yes it is safe were i am) my Hornet cannot be noticed if you stood in the kichen dinner with the outside door opened and i fired it moderated off the driveway maybee 40 yds away into the fields in the oposite direction. You will hear the .243" plainly moderated or not in the same location but thats just the difference of 30+ extra grains of powder that makes it far harder to moderate.

The HMR needs a dedicated moderator to be at its very best IMO, they cost more but if you want the best they are worth it even if they don't / can't remove the sonic crack. .22 lr stuff only does so much at the end of the day they are designed for use with far smaller amounts of propellant

My CZ Silhouette HMR has the FULL length 22.5inch barrel and still melted the Sirocco SM11.

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Thanks Dekers, I think I've had that response some time back, I was quoting the advice from Edgar Bros when I questioned the damage in the my moderator.

I spoke to a Gunsmith friend of mine on the subject and he described the flame from the HMR as being like a cutting torch. I can't recall where the test was done but he did say it could be extremely destructive. :unsure:

• 5 months later...

Phoned edgars today, finally got to the right department and they are shipping a new set of baffles of free of charge.

Thought i would update this, Edgars never sent the baffles as promised, they did however say i could have them if i paid for them, upshot is Edgars are rubbish and will never buy any product associated with their name.

I did try one of these for a short while and it just welded together, knackered it tyring to get it apart. Went back to the SAK I had on my .22lr and its still fine a few years on. I would like a nice mod on the HMR but a few things put me off. One, I don't like giving money away and Two, all I have heard sound the same and three, Rabbit's don't know !!!

I've given up faffing about with HMR mods. I just use SAKs, clean them, take them off to let them dry and accept that they're a consumable part and need replacing every year or so (and my HWs got a 14" barrel). I reckon I can manage £30/40 a year. They're not entered on my ticket by make or number, I just take the old one in pay my £40 and walk out with a new one.

The rabbits certainly don't know the difference. Long before the muzzle report can reach them there's fresh air where the auditory nerve should be.

Thought i would update this, Edgars never sent the baffles as promised, they did however say i could have them if i paid for them, upshot is Edgars are rubbish and will never buy any product associated with their name.

It wouildnt have made any difference, they sent me stainless baffles and they still melted, and my barrel is 21"!!

Get a dm80, strips easy lots good and easy to clean, youll never have to buy another!!! :yes: