Reccomend a nice scotch

alexf

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input everyone if only I could buy a selection pack of all your suggestions think I will definitely try berties suggestion of Monkey Shoulder just for the name! Going to look on various websites over the next couple of day and make a purchase will report back after tasting :hmm:

apparently monkey shoulder is a repetitive strain condition the malt turners used to get from turning the barley continually by hand,

My personal favourite which I will recommend highly is Dalwhinnie, light yet full flavoured.

Talisker is strong, peaty and a real headache in the morning. Just started a bottle of Glayva which is very good.

SAainsbury's or Tesco are the cheapest but pay a bit more and go local - we can all do with a little more on the high street.

Dalwhinnie is one of my favourites, as Kes said light yet full flavoured. Might like to try 14 yo Oban or Aberlour too.

Anything from Islay will be intense and not the 'smooth' you are after. I love them all, even been to them. Speyside can be a little burning in my opinion.

So for smooth I'd go for Oban, wonderfully complex but mellow enough, yet not flowery like the Irish wiskeys. If that's not easy to find, Talisker would be my other recommendation. Enjoy!

I always get the old man a bottle of jura for bday and crimbo lovley drink shop around its always under £20 somewhere, partner came back from the bushmills factory tour in ireland and got me drinking the blend and single malt, nice as well a bit more taste than jura. I would avoid glenfidich and glenmorangie they taste quite powerfull. Isnt monkey shoulder bourbon not whiskey?

Tesco value scotch whisky. Had to try it, half the price of a half decent blended. Uncomplicated, unsophisticated, smooth, pleasant after taste. After they've been in a hippy for a few hours they all taste the same. I've decanted it into higher end bottles and passed it round after dinner and I **** myself as everybody waxes lyrical about the attributes of a nice Glenfiddy.

Ohh you bad lad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its the same with wine amazing what you can get away with with a couple of empty bottles :yp: :yp:

Edited by sodit

I always get the old man a bottle of jura for bday and crimbo lovley drink shop around its always under £20 somewhere, partner came back from the bushmills factory tour in ireland and got me drinking the blend and single malt, nice as well a bit more taste than jura. I would avoid glenfidich and glenmorangie they taste quite powerfull. Isnt monkey shoulder bourbon not whiskey?

actually a blended whiskey in a way

actually a blended whiskey in a way

I was going to say, if you want a lovely smooth drink try some of the Bourbon's on offer (ie: morrisons/tesco etc £11-12 a bottle) I'd quite often have a glass of whisky until I tried bourbon........can't drink 'owt else now :good: Seems to my taste cheap whisky can be truly dire whereas the cheap bourbon's can be very,very nice.

First choice Highland Park :yes: (12yo will be fine), lovely and peaty, smooth and smokey!!

I'll also second the Talisker however...

A second for the Highland Park,did a tour of the facilities last aug when we were blown out on the Flow,very nice

Personally I prefer Jack Daniels over anything!

Quite a fan of Jack Daniels but prefer "Gentleman Jack" to the rest, had a bottle of "Single barrel" wasn't impressed, want to try the green Label Jack, but if you like jack then try Woodford Reserve that's very nice......

Unfortunately I have just finished a bottle of the best Whisky that I have ever had......a 25yo Glenfarclas. Went online to see about a replacement and was informed by the keeper of the purse (aka wife) that such an extravagance would directly lead to the immediate withdrawal of conjugual activity for an unspecified duration. Reckon I'm just gonna have to be drunk n horny !! :lol:

I've about a third of a bottle of 1972 Blair Athol left, by far the nicest whiskey I've ever tasted. It was a gift from a now deceased uncle and having spoken to the manager of the whiskey shop in York was informed it was worth £400-£500 if unopened. I suspect I'll never taste a second bottle.

I had a glass of 1981 it was stunning and for my birthday some years ago i got a bottle of 1987 i think the 81 was nowehre to be found! Very nice.....