First blood with .223

ollie

Well myself and Glensman headed out tonight for a shine after Glensman's success lastnite; he shot 3 foxes without me there the greedy pig :lol: . Anyway we went to a farm that Glensman had saw a fox on last nite and it was a bit too close to our pheasant pens.

We shone the light and give a call to see a set of eyes coming bouncing down the hill, but then the fox sloped off and we lost him.

So we went further up the farm and saw another one, again a quick call and he was coming down quickly but I couldn't get a shot off as the angle I was at was wrong, so we started walking towards him with a handheld torch and we spotted him in the next field, so I got down on a fence post but I had to use my left shoulder and the lamp wasn't too bright...I fired and we thought I got him as there was no sign of the fox running away, but when we went up there was no sign. I am going to take a walk up tomorrow evening but the only explanation for a miss I can think off is because I was using my left shoulder.

We saw another fox soon after about a mile away but we had no luck with him. So we came back to the spot where we saw the 1st one, we were shining the lamp around and I decided to give a quick squeek and the fox had been lying about 50 yards away from us in the long grass sleeping, he popped his head up and sat looking at us and I sent a 55gr Remington into his chest. This fox then decided to flap about for a while and I thought I only clipped him but when I went up I had totally gutted him, the pic below is the best I could get due to the damage. I will be disappointed if I don't find that other fox tomorrow evening but I am glad I have blooded the .223.

PICT0166.jpg

What a good write up mate! It sounds like you had an interesting night. :good:

I never worry too much if I get a fox that will not come in close enough to the call or one that doesn't offer a "safe shot"! It will always be there for another night and it makes me use my brain - i.e. I have to think about how I can get it into a good shootable position for a safe shot another night. Sometimes we need this to happen to keep us on our toes and to keep the old grey matter working! :good:

you want to see the ones round me frenchie every bloody one is like that, whether dogmen or neighbouring shoots I don't know but most are educated to the call and lamp.

Its always nice to get the first one with a rifle sounds like the shot was a little back or missed most vitals to get the thrashing. Don't worry too much its one of those things with their guts hanging out they don't ever go far.

Nice shooting mate...what scope you using??

Scope is a Simmons Aetec.

I'm looking forward to telling his Da about the miss!.. I missed one in the next field las year because my scope was off- and he was very fast to tell his Da about that one!!!

I notice Ollie you never mentioned how close the one you missed was!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To answer a few queries.

Nice shooting mate...what scope you using??

Simmons Aetec mate, nothing special but it will do until I can afford a proper bit of glass.

What a good write up mate! It sounds like you had an interesting night. :good:

I never worry too much if I get a fox that will not come in close enough to the call or one that doesn't offer a "safe shot"! It will always be there for another night and it makes me use my brain - i.e. I have to think about how I can get it into a good shootable position for a safe shot another night. Sometimes we need this to happen to keep us on our toes and to keep the old grey matter working! :good:

The shot on the first fox was safe, just the angle I was at I had to take the shot with the left shoulder because it was up against a fenceline.

you want to see the ones round me frenchie every bloody one is like that, whether dogmen or neighbouring shoots I don't know but most are educated to the call and lamp.

Its always nice to get the first one with a rifle sounds like the shot was a little back or missed most vitals to get the thrashing. Don't worry too much its one of those things with their guts hanging out they don't ever go far.

I don't mind about the guts coming out, a dead fox is a dead fox after all :D

Scope is a Simmons Aetec.

I'm looking forward to telling his Da about the miss!.. I missed one in the next field las year because my scope was off- and he was very fast to tell his Da about that one!!!

I notice Ollie you never mentioned how close the one you missed was!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes mate I have to go home and tell him, I am not looking forward to it :lol: . Lets hope the other fox has trailed itself into a bush :huh: . Ok the shot on the first fox was only about 5 yards closer than the 2nd, I must practice these close shots :lol: