Can't believe it!!!

beanieboy

I am amazed to read that already some MP's and others are complaining that those found guilty of involvement in the recent riots are being treated too harshly by the courts. A couple of guys who organised a riot via facebook have been given 4 years each.....GOOD! I'm not an out and out right winger, but I think it's time the courts started to get real in terms of sentencing - this would seem to be a step in the right direction. By the way please don't anyone respond with the poor, disaffected kids argument or I may have to shoot you!

I believe that every single one of them that were caught either rioting or looting should be tagged and a dusk to dawn curfew put on them with a mandatory prison sentence imposed if they break the curfew!

This may sound harsh but this was not a protest against the government or anything else, it was wanton vandalism, destruction and theft! There is no excuse for it regardles of the age of those concerned! In some cases even a birching would not have been a bad idea!

Wrong is wrong and it is time that people of all ages were made to realise it and to find out that the general public are not prepared to tollerate it any longer!

Living in City Centre Manchester I'm glad that these muppets are being handed 'harsh' sentences for what they did. I saw it all first hand and it still sickens me. I'm 23 and even I can't understand what this 'youth of today' delinquents are playing at i cannot relate to them what so ever. They didn't do what they did for freedom of speech or to have their voices heard. They did it because all their other chav mates think it would be good to make other peoples lives a misery and have a nice new 50" Sony TV on the wall.

They don't WANT to work

They don't WANT to go to school

and They don't CARE about the consequences

All in all all sentences nowadays are laughable compared to sentences in other countries. As my ex cop father in law says "they need a good bashing"

Edited by AndyElectro

Blimey lads :blink: you lot are harsh :blink:

We end up paying for these people to stay in prison, what they need to see thier errors is a good long holiday :good:

we need to show them they to can gain respect :yes: rebuild thier lives :yes::yes:

Now !!! Location :hmm::hmm: Siberia could be a nice place in winter :good:

they are right the sentences are not proportionate and have been hiked up, to suit public opinion, question is if they can do it for this why can't they do it for all crime, card fraud for one (it's all right you will get your money back) car theft, burglary and drug dealing?

How many cops shows such police interceptors, night cops etc (do cops now wear make up?) do you see the perps get off with a lessor fine than a speeding motorist, or not charged due to lack of evidence?

KW

I feel the sentences were a little harsh considering both men were not involved phisically in any rioting, and that the riots they were trying to start never actually came about, so 4 year i feel is a little harsh, however, for the actual rioters caught smashing shop windows and buring cars, then let them have it

Dont think they care going to prison they get free food, free electric and heating free games, dont have to pay for the tv licence and they probably get a lump sum of cash when there released. All paid for by us the taxpayer. Sending all off to a desert with no water.

they are right the sentences are not proportionate and have been hiked up, to suit public opinion,

KW

As someone pointed out stealing a £3 bottle of water during a riot isn't the equivalent of normally steaking a £3 bottle

of water. They were in someone else's shop destroying their livelyhood, and people were terrified in their houses

while the riot was going on. _Anyone_ involved should be harshly punished.

Also those ***** up here who tried to incite more rioting deserve everything they get. Nothing

happened in the end, but there's a good chance it could have spread and 5 (?) people were

killed where it was happening.

They'll serve 2 years of a 4 year sentence which I think is a reasonable.

Nial

Four years for inciting a riot that never happened does seem rather steep. However, the people who were involved in actual riots do deserve longer sentences than those committing the same crimes without the aggravating circumstances.

I'm not convinced that wasting taxpayer money imprisoning people is the right course of action for a lot of these sentences. At least some of their sentence should be restorative justice, whether that means rebuilding shops, cleaning streets or other community service. Society won't gain anything from a system that doesn't require people convicted of crimes to make ammends by giving something back to society through a community aspect to their sentence.

If you are inciting a riot where life can be in danger you deserve what you get, 4 years in prison. Hopefully that will teach your mates not to be so stupid should we have a problem in the future.The fact that no one turned up does not absolve you of the crime.

Bill

A couple of years ago at the start of the 'financial crisis' the then Labour government launched their 'Fiscal stimulus' policy, spending millions (which they didn't have) on government projects which in the grand scheme of things achieved not very much!

Now had the then Government built a super prison on the bleakest wetest moor with a capacity of lets say 100,000. Upon its completion then adverts should have been placed in every tabloid and on every social network site saying "Vacancies- we are actively trying to fill". That I wouldn't object to my taxes being spent on.

At the same time Prison regimes need to change. Prisoners should be stripped of all rights except a cell and the very basics of food stuff. With the option to work, this work in the first 2/3 of their sentance should be hard physically demanding (digging ditches and dykes etc.) In return they should be rewarded with prison credits which allow them to upgrade their food, rent a tv, buy cig's, phone cards etc.

After the first 2/3 of hard labour then the last third should be of a more usable type which gives them the skills which allow them to contribute towards society upon their release. Any accrued prison credits could be exchanged for money to assist in their resettlement.

This system would start to develop the cycle of earning money and then having the freedom to spend it whilst the sheer hard work would provide a deterrent.

Hard labour in prisons was outlawed years ago but by stripping them of all luxuries the hard labour is optional and the only way to work their way towards some form of rewards.

Implement the above and re-offending rates would drastically fall.

What they need is to attend a creative arts work shop whereby the could express themselves through the medium of dance, performance and painting. They should then be fed a vegan diet of mung bean and soya milk to rid their bodies of the toxins that they've imbibed whilst being raised on fast food. They could then have some reiki candle therapy and infuse their negativity with essential oils whilst being played the sound of whales ********.

I feel the sentences were a little harsh considering both men were not involved phisically in any rioting, and that the riots they were trying to start never actually came about, so 4 year i feel is a little harsh, however, for the actual rioters caught smashing shop windows and buring cars, then let them have it

disagree mate, its about incitement. Personally speaking I'm for the birch for this sort of thing as it costs nothing, hurts a lot (thus is a good deterrent to the casual feckless chav) and sends a positive message that this sort of thing isnt acceptable. Heard a barrister on the radio saying he felt the juydge was swayed by public opinion when sentencing. I say good to that, swayed by public opinion means they ARE listening to the likes of us........... left, right, black and white all seem to agree that these actions were wrong. All except those caught, their relatives and the people paid to defend them

What they need is to attend a creative arts work shop whereby the could express themselves through the medium of dance, performance and painting. They should then be fed a vegan diet of mung bean and soya milk to rid their bodies of the toxins that they've imbibed whilst being raised on fast food. They could then have some reiki candle therapy and infuse their negativity with essential oils whilst being played the sound of whales ********.

I feel aaaaaaaaaaall relaxed reading this lol