Over under or side by side

*zinc

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is you favourite

• Over under
    • Side by side
    • Semi automatic
    • Single barrel

I'm lucky, I have a beretta 687 which is my absolute favourite, 17 years old but still special.

Really good sight picture - game rib and fixed chokes I've missed a few but not that many with it.

I have a semi for pigeons and geese and thats kept me very happy for a long time too.

I also have a very old 1903 H&H 'mutton chop' side by side with newish steel 30" barrels. Even with 65 MM carts its a pleasure to shoot but tends to bang my finger (short stock ?). As somone said above if I could only keep one it would be the o/u as I have shot consistently well enough for me for all the years I've had it. I much prefer the sight picture being 28" barrels its swift when swinging and as deadly as I need.

Enjoy your intended SBS.

O/U's are easier to shoot hence why all serious Clay Shots use them. I read somewhere about a 10% improvement in Clay scores for a like for like comparison.

I too like SBS's but there is no doubt the O/U is more efficient which is why I use one, a Beretta Perennia and very nice it is too.

I have O/U, Semi and Single Barrel in the Cabinet, whatever I do or try I just can't deal with a SBS.

Each to their own, but most (it they tried one) would rate the semi NO 1.

Without doubt they are the best, whatever that may mean, hardest to clean for sure but easiest and most accurate to shoot!

Many rate what they have, and a LOT make comment without ever going near a Semi.

Fine, but tradition is really a big issue, and I respect that, but without doubt given the choice I would use the Semi for everything, including the Pheasant/Partridge/Duck on the Shoots!

I have tried them all and am now settled on my sbs ugatecha classic,it may be because its the best fitting gun i have owned and the prettiest,slim stock,straight pull,light,short......simply the easiest gun i have ever shot with and great in the hide,the only downside is it has no recoil pad,just an engraved wood butt :oops:

Its the only gun i will never part with :good:

I was brought up on SxS and used nothing else but. Had a few nice AYA's and a Yeoman n/e knockabout which was very good for the money. Also owned/used Gallyon,Rosson,Webley and Scott, H&H, Westley Richards,Arietta to name few.Lovely to shoot and they do load faster.But....I don't have one in the cabinet these days. Why? Because I personally shoot better with an over and under. Favourite gun at the moment is a Caesar Guerini Maxum 20 bore game gun. It has the solid game rib 30 inch barrels and is chambered for 3inch (not used).

Until you have tried a wide variety of O/U and SxS it is very difficult to make a choice. I think it is also hard to keep changing guns and shooting well, although a lot of folk do it, no problem.

Edited by Whitebridges

I have O/U, Semi and Single Barrel in the Cabinet, whatever I do or try I just can't deal with a SBS.

Each to their own, but most (it they tried one) would rate the semi NO 1.

Without doubt they are the best, whatever that may mean, hardest to clean for sure but easiest and most accurate to shoot!

Many rate what they have, and a LOT make comment without ever going near a Semi.

Fine, but tradition is really a big issue, and I respect that, but without doubt given the choice I would use the Semi for everything, including the Pheasant/Partridge/Duck on the Shoots!

Semis are fine for Pigeon or Duck but a total no no on every Game shoot I have been on, I do own one but its horses for courses and an O/U is the most versatile.