So how many are finding pigeons?

old rooster

Just a quick question to ask whether those of you who have been at this lark for a few years are finding reasonable numbers of pigeons about?

Seems very quiet around here with very poor stubble shooting the past couple of years, despite conditions conducive to good breeding.

hi rooster,had a good earrly harvest getting 3,100 plus days on rape stubble,now thats been cultivated and the wheat has been cut its definetly getting harder,birds seem to be spread out.i shot 54 on saturday on wheat stubble,going today(monday)found another wheat stubble which looks a little busy so we will see.got a few field of beans yet to be cut i should get a few on them when cut(fingers crossed).

Its always the same this time of year with so much cut they have plenty to chose from ,saying that ive had a good time of late and same can be said for my clients with only a few poor days . I no a few are struggling as so much food around a few shots and birds move on , its key to get under a good flightline and if it dries up move .This time of year i have 3 fields planned for the day so if 1 dries up i move to 1 of the others . Things will pickup as the drill stats to go in over the next few weeks im sure .

But would say pigeon numbers are very good in my area :yes:

Big Big struggle in my area at present, managed 22 this afternoon on wheat stubble in a great bale hide, but birds were pretty thin on the ground all day and flightlines really hard to locate, saying that 22 was a great fun afternoon and it was just good to get out and about. Any others having better wiltshire sport ???

i,m finding it hit and miss last few weeks,one day they are there the next not,went out sat sun and could barely find a pigeon on our perms but had a decent return today with 45,but that proves my point there wasn,t many around the area on sat when i looked but hundreds there today,its not a lack of numbers just a lot of stubble around.

lots of birds flying about this year, but proving very hard to decoy, no really big bags to date 85 being best, but a few 50 plus bags and another 44 for me today keeps up the interest :good: strange how it goes, the other year not so many birds in the air but managed a ton plus 6 days in a row :hmm: ps nice to see you posting again

KW

Very few around my area, and as above very difficult to get them to commit to the pattern. Even over swathed rape numbers were worse since I've been shooting.

The stubble has been cultivated very quickly, so I'll wait for the new drilling and see what happens then.

Very few around my area, and as above very difficult to get them to commit to the pattern. Even over swathed rape numbers were worse since I've been shooting.

The stubble has been cultivated very quickly, so I'll wait for the new drilling and see what happens then.

We were sitting having lunch with family on Saturday at a pub grub place called "The Bridge" in Gamston up near Nottingham on Sunday. Pigeons were streaming over the road into stubble so might be worth a look there? Couldn't concentrate on the conversation during the meal :) :)

Poor afternoon in North Shropshire today, some Pigeons about but most ignored the decoy's and magnet. Three only came in and I managed to get two of them.On the up, my young lab 'Ross' 12 month old, went out of the hide for both and also picked a couple of crows that I managed , so all was not lost, hope it gets better.