poachers shooting ilegal quarry

king ratcatcher

went over the feilds with my sisters bf on the motorbikes on sunday where we always go and have done for years, as we was riding round we come across two blokes with air rifles, one with a hw57, and the other with a cheep b2, so we stoped and asked them what they have shot, they said anything with a pulse and started giggling, so we said fair enough and rid of, as we went round we both split up and went diffrent ways, after about 30 minutes my sisters bf said to me i seen him shooting a squirrel, i said oh right, he said they were standing there putting about 10 pellets into it, so we rid of and came across them again, any luck i said, yea, one squirrel, and a bluetit, your joking i said, he said no, then he said under hes breath well we have to shoot them all, then they both walked of and went to there car got in and drove of, so we rid abit down the feild and noticed a dead little bird on the floor, i stoped and picked it up, it was a baby wagtail of some sort, now im not sure if they have permission, but i dought it making comments like this, what a pair of ***** it upsets me to see someone shooting a song bird, makes me sick to the bone, what would guys have done :lol:

No point confronting them if they are technically armed - well the guy with the HW57 was :lol:

Get the car number and tell the old and Bill and the RSPB and pass the dead bird over.

Tell the old bill they were being reckless with a rifle - don't tell 'em that it was an air gun and it will get their pulses racing all the more.

People like that spoil it for everyone else and do actually need prosecuting.

No point confronting them if they are technically armed - well the guy with the HW57 was :lol:

Get the car number and tell the old and Bill and the RSPB and pass the dead bird over.

Tell the old bill they were being reckless with a rifle - don't tell 'em that it was an air gun and it will get their pulses racing all the more.

People like that spoil it for everyone else and do actually need prosecuting.

Also tell the ole bill that they have shot a songbird. Thats a wildlife and countryside act offence.

[Not nice to hear that. I think i would have told them that its illegal to shoot certain birds. Perhaps they did not know/quote]

It is the responsibility of the hunter to know what he can and can't shoot. If you can't recognise your quarry then tin cans are your best bet.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by martincavie

Not having a go but,I presume you weren`t riding the motorbikes where any ground nesting bird would be were you? As I get a lot of quads/bikes on one of my permissions and they seem to stick to field edges etc. where the grey partridge used to be so prevalent.

Hi,

I would have confronted them about it and checked if they had permission and if not then kindly reminded them they were commiting armed tresspass and called the police. In all fairness I was not in your position but I doubt they would use the air rifles against you. Also remind them it is illiegal to shoot just anything. Did you get their registration details? Report the incident and check with the landowner if they have permission. If not and you see them again I wouldn't be suprised if the landowner asks you to ring the police on sight of them.

FM :angry:

Never, never, ever confront poachers if they have a gun. Even an air rifle.

If they are kids, then a firm word is best - unless you want to take them under your wing.

So many are stupid and think that the countryside is owned by rich **** who have all the shooting rights.

I have stopped quite a few in my time (before I learned better), and the response has varied from "I am sick of all you rich ******** buying up the shooting rights (news to me that I was a rich plonker) to "Fair cop guv, I'll be going now".

If you happen to be carrying a shotgun (even empty and broken) lies may be told that you started an armed confrontation. In such a situation the police tend to act first (confiscate your guns) and only then start to ask questions.

I am not pretending that I know all the answers, but a polite warning off is better than to risk an open assault. A farmer friend of mine ended up with a broken jaw when he aggressively told a local yob to get off his land. Needless to say the punishment in court did not under any circumstances fit the crime!

A keeper friend of mine had a knock on the door at midnight by several heavies when came 'heavy' with one lad that he caught. Please be aware.

Don

totally agree with never approaching poachers/****** etc with a gun under your arm,it smacks of "get orf my land" and there is a real danger the tables could be turned and your gun could be stolen or worse.

ive been shot at by poachers with a .22 and to know you are being aimed at is a horrible feeling.

for all the horror stories of kepers being threatened or beaten up there are ten that never get aired where the scum take a kicking.

the police would show no interest in this case so i stand by what i said.hello/oomph/ride

Good advice,

DO NOT CONFRONT,just obtain all the details you can ,desription of weapon,offender and vehicle,circumstances etc and pass to the local Police.

An injured or worse still dead witness is no good to anyone.

Doesn't matter if the weapon is an airweapon or full bore it is still a Firearm.

Very serious stuff.

We once had a car load of illeagal hare coursers on our land and they were driving over the straw as it layed in its rows as left out of the combine in their subaru legacy making it very difficult to bale :angry: . when my uncle saw them he headed over with his shotgun under his arm, but with not any cartridges on him at all and confronted them, one thing lead to another and he laid one out with the butt of his baikal :( . The result was that he had no SGC or FAC for 5 years after the incident :good: . So in my experience you dont know what is going to happen when you go over to them so its best left to the cops, i mean its what they are for isn't it :angry:

ps my uncle did get a SGC and FAC earlier this year as the five years were up but it was a bit of a *** to get back :good:

foxer

My point exactly be a witness not a vigilante or a co defendant.You have worked hard and earned your F.A.C. do not lose it because of some low life.

As for the subaru driving on crops .There is more than one way to skin a cat,if you or the law can't prove poaching there is an offence of driving otherwise than on a road,good one to use,hurts the poachers in other ways.