What to buy next?

ukfirefighter

Hi,

I would also say a magnet and a floater/bouncer or two. I've been using Hypa Flaps on the magnet to good effect, but have noticed once I've shot a few birds, switching to dead birds on the magnet, the magnet works even better. A set of nets and hide poles are good to have too. :good:

Cheers,

Dr_T

Cant really see the point when you can get remotes and timers etc and useless for me as I take a dog it would most likely get caught up in the wire sooner or later.

The point is that you maintain control that a random timer alone can't give, you don't want it flapping when a pigeon is committing to the pattern. Remotes don't appear to be that reliable besides being expensive at £40, whereas 20metres of black speaker cable and a switch will cost about a fiver.

I love the magnet but I would recomend the Turbo Flapper for you if your new to decoying. The magnet is a good tool on it's day but it's positioning is usually vital; put it in the wrong place and it scares more than it attracts. Saying all that, get it right and it's excellent.

A flapper on the other hand is very forgiving when it comes to placement. It attracts the birds and since I've got one, though I always take the magnet in the car with me, it doesn't always come out, the flapper on the other hand is always used. You can stick it on a bouncer in long crops as well and it works just as well.

The point is that you maintain control that a random timer alone can't give, you don't want it flapping when a pigeon is committing to the pattern. Remotes don't appear to be that reliable besides being expensive at £40, whereas 20metres of black speaker cable and a switch will cost about a fiver.

pointless just stick a timer on it and let it do its work, it will bring pigeons in better if its on a timer, because it will pull birds that you can,t see passing behind you, but if you use the remote you only switch it on when you see a bird in the distance, not on the ones you can,t see.

had birds commiting to the pattern yesterday and today with it flapping and pigeons came straight over it

pointless just stick a timer on it and let it do its work, it will bring pigeons in better if its on a timer, because it will pull birds that you can,t see passing behind you, but if you use the remote you only switch it on when you see a bird in the distance, not on the ones you can,t see.

had birds commiting to the pattern yesterday and today with it flapping and pigeons came straight over it

Totally agree. I have never had a problem with a pigeon jinking off when the flapper flaps. I think this is yet another pigeon shooting myth.