Set trigger

gixer1

Wotcha

I have them on a Steyer-Mannlicher and Beretta.

Tend to use them on longer shots where squeezing the trigger is likely to cause movement when in the aim.

Sometimes use them when checking zero.

Occasional use for me seems to make the let-off a nano-smidgin sooner than perhaps expected...............

L

They're usually found on sporting rifles. I think the principle is that you get two "feels" or weights to the trigger. Hunting in summer you want a light feel to reduce jerking but in winter you might be out in the snow with gloves on so you need some extra feedback and resistance.

The extra light setting is good for precision target shooting too. I've never actually used the full weight setting on my CZ.

I used a set trigger on a BSA cf2 in .270 for many years and absolutely loved it . It is something you need to get used to as the weight of the trigger is measured in grams and not in pounds . you dont want to be swapping from set trigger to standard trigger as this could cause negligent discharges and be very dangerous . If you go for a set trigger than you need some range time to get used to it . With the set trigger I swear that I used to think the trigger to go off . Not for the faint hearted . Also remember some estates do not allow set triggers . A fabulous trigger system that I really loved . My present stalker is set at about three and a half pound .a monstrous weight compared to my set trigger .270 . I might add that it was this rifle and set trigger that I shot 12 consecutive v bulls at 600 hundred yards to win a target rifle competition .

Harnser.

Edited by Harnser

I used to have a set trigger on my CZ 550 - 22-250 and really struggled with it.

It must have been the only set trigger with creep :rolleyes: I could accurately predict it would shift a mm before actually being 'set'. The flipside was a trigger with miserable creep. No wonder I swapped it in the end.

I used to have a set trigger on my CZ 550 - 22-250 and really struggled with it.

It must have been the only set trigger with creep :rolleyes: I could accurately predict it would shift a mm before actually being 'set'. The flipside was a trigger with miserable creep. No wonder I swapped it in the end.

MY cf2 had two triggers .one facing back the opposite way to the main trigger . To engage the set trigger you just pushed the front trigger foreward with your trigger finger and then used the normal trigger to shoot with .

Harnser .

I was just wondering how many people use this feature on thier rifle, most people i know don't so if you do use it - in what scenario is it used? (i.e.- paper punching, high seat shooting or always?)

Regards,

Gixer

Just got into them after buying the CZ, previous prejudice removed! :good:

Use one on my Steyr scout for longer range vermin shots. Excellent, but very light, need plenty of practice and I only set the trigger when I am confident I want to take the shot. It is very good though, i hold my finger completely off the trigger, then just relax my finger and the light touch is just enough, no chance of pulling off to the right .

I find mine most useful for taking free standing shots or others when I have a poor rest like a standing shot from the top of a wobbly fence post. I have a poor free standing technique when I am given a rifle with more trigger weight than I would like and I find the set trigger really helps to pull in the groups.

I tried a chaps Mannlicher at the range a while ago and shot it free standing at 100 yards. Although the rifle was lovely my group was far from it. I think the trigger was about 4lbs, I prefer 2lbs maximum and I shot into about a 7" cicle. It really was terrible, and a bit of a :blush: moment!

I've only had one rifle with a set trigger - a BSA in 22-250! Never again! It really was frightening, you only had to look at it and the damned thing let rip! Whilst I like a fairly light trigger I personally would be very wary of having another rifle with a set trigger on it without having an awful lot of time and practice to get used to it before taking it out in the field!

Mind you, everyone to their own I surpose!