Almost a 100 Corvids!

steve_b_wales

The Poacher (Mark) and I, decided to make the most of the weather, and try our luck on the corvids. After a previous phone call to the farmer,and him telling me that there were 'thousands' of them on his land, we set off this morning. We were at the farm before 1st light, and started setting up the decoys etc at around 06.45. After a few minutes, some Jackdaw's came close enough to shoot, and we had 3. One was attached to a floater, and the other 2 on my rota. Almost as soon as I switched the rota on, Jackdaw's came swarming in, and we shot quite a few. This went on for about 3 hours, with groups of 8-10 birds hovering around the rota.

Both Mark and I had a few left and rights,right and lefts, and I managed 3 with 3 shots.We both missed some very easy (we thought) birds as well. A few Crows came too close (for them) and they too were shot. A lot of the birds that we shot, landed in the small woods behind us, and despite looking for them, they were lost. Also, a few that were shot, landed further down the field, and we could not find them.We counted 15 lost birds, which was annoying to say the least. We continued shooting, with short lulls, until 2pm, when the farmer decided that he had to turn the hay over to dry. This put an end to our day out. We plan to go back up tomorrow morning for another crack at them.

Our total for the day was, 80 Jackdaws, and 3 Crows. 77 jackdaws can be seen in the photo. I shot another one, just after we disposed of them, and we found 2 wounded ones futher down the field, which were dispatched.With the ones lost in the woods/stubble, our total was 98. We had a brilliant day, our best together yet. Hopefully, tomorrow will yield another big bag.

The photo's show our hide, the dead Jackdaws placed out as decoys, and the 'group' photo. My thanks to Mark as always, for his company. See you in the morning mate!

CROW 123.jpg

Hide 123.jpg

FIELD 123.jpg

very good bag of blackies you lads got well done :good: and the pattern looked very impressive, and dont them jackdaws make for some good shooting when they swoop in to the deeks in large numbers and they just love that magnet with a couple of there buddys on :lol: , hope you get back there soon and get plenty more Steve and Mark :good: