What Rifle/Scope/Ammo?

bullet boy

For years it was the 95 grn Nosler b/tip i used on everything. .243" win and a 3-12x50 S+bender, useally without the moddy but were required a T8. Due to ground conditions and the Deer not needing much attention these days i have been using more Varmint Bullets 75 v-max was my favourite but they stopped making them. 70 grn Nolers are great in my gun but struggling to find some presently. Think i am going to have to look at the new 87 grn v-max if things dont sort themselves out soon. In the meantime theres always the shottie and .22 Hornet. I shoot a fair ammount with the 12 bore its better around cover and esential for driving them and far less worry about backstops

hi mate my fox rifle is a tikka m595 223 the scope i use is not top of the range thats a simmons whitetail classic 3.5-10x50 but i like it and it does the job at a reasonable distance that i shoot at although if i was into longer distances it would be replaced.im currently using privvi 55grain softpoints these were the first rounds i bought to get some practise in and zero scope im paying around £10.50 for 20.maybe i fell lucky with these as they group well in my rifle. and dispatch fox so i dont feel the need to buy more expensive brands as yet.love the rifle like the scope and the ammo thats me happy with my setup and it does the job for me thats what counts in my opinion mate.

hi mate my fox rifle is a tikka m595 223 the scope i use is not top of the range thats a simmons whitetail classic 3.5-10x50 but i like it and it does the job at a reasonable distance that i shoot at although if i was into longer distances it would be replaced.im currently using privvi 55grain softpoints these were the first rounds i bought to get some practise in and zero scope im paying around £10.50 for 20.maybe i fell lucky with these as they group well in my rifle. and dispatch fox so i dont feel the need to buy more expensive brands as yet.love the rifle like the scope and the ammo thats me happy with my setup and it does the job for me thats what counts in my opinion mate.

Hi mate.TBH IMO the Simmons WTC range of scopes are superb value for money which I've always rated very highly!

I use x2 tikkas in 223 one has been semi customised..1st one is my standard tikka which has a D-830 Day/Night scope and this is very accurate with 50gn vmax out to 300yds if safe..second tikka i am using 64gn bergers at moment but when i get home will be trying some different heads as not happy with the bergers.

Mick

I use my .243 fitted with an 8X56 scope and shoot home loaded ammo with 70G Blitzkings! There aren't any foxes get up an run opn after being hit by that combination!

Why do I chose to use this rifle/scope/ammo combination for fox - Because it is the only one I have that is conditioned for fox except my 17HMR which is conditioned for "The dispatch of foxes caught in a cage trap"!

For normal use Sako75 Varmint with a Nightforce 8-32x56 with 75 grain V max reloads.Closer work i use the .17hmr,which is now a CZ455 thumbhole and will soon be fitted with the Nightforce when i get the new Zeiss on the Sako,and that wont be until the new mod for the 17 comes.Confused?You should be.Have been waiting for an LEI stainless for over 2 months now and no sign of it appearing yet.

There's always and always will be the debate of what calibre is best for Fox Control.

What I want to know is what set-up do you have for Fox Control? ie. What rifle,calibre,scope and what ammo do you prefer to use?

whatever is in my hand at the time. I have 22 LR , 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 308. All work.

As Mr L said....

..........there is no answer to your question bullet boy, simply what may be best in any given set of circumstances!

The setup I prefer to use is the right one for the individual job, and that is likely to be VERY different for a fox in residence in the Hay Barn or 200 yards away in the field!!

I'm using a Tikka T3 Lite in .22-250 calibre with a S&B 3-12x50 IR Klassik scope,and a T8 mod.The ammo I find very accurate in my rifle is the quality Norma 50gr V-Max.The Norma ammo is not cheap but it's superb!

I have the same set up as you except my scope is a Leopold 3-10X50. What twist do you have?

Norma V-Max go through my gun in a very random manner. Can't get a good group with them.

Remington ballistic tipped or Winchester silver tips do the job. (Both 50 gr)

I have shot Federal for years but can't get them at the moment.

As Mr L said....

..........there is no answer to your question bullet boy, simply what may be best in any given set of circumstances!

The setup I prefer to use is the right one for the individual job, and that is likely to be VERY different for a fox in residence in the Hay Barn or 200 yards away in the field!!

Perhaps I should have changed the thread name to 'What Rifle/Scope Combo do you mainly use'!!

Tikka 595 in .234Ackley with Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56, running homeloaded 66gn Berger High BC Varmint bullets at 3940fps.

Extremely accurate vermin control rig.

When a job HAS to be done effectively I prefer to use one tool, and use it very well.

Edited by Browning

Perhaps I should have changed the thread name to 'What Rifle/Scope Combo do you mainly use'!!

I mainly use rimfires!

...and quite often the humble .22lr with subs, which of course is totally unsuitable for foxes! :lol::lol::lol::D:D

Sorry, that will be me being naughty again!

post-20848-0-40804700-1317808567.jpg

Nice pic mate!

It was June and about 10.00pm, taken under natural light with my phone, hence more than a bit grainy! Just an illustration of the use/worth/effectiveness of the .22lr ..in the right circumstances! :good:

Edited by Dekers

105 foxes all taken with my custom built 20 tactical zeiss conquest 4.5/14x44 ase mod MC 40 grain hornady home loads,

32 foxes with my 6mm br zeiss 6.5/20x50 rapid Z ret,ase mod 75 gr hornady vmax home loads.

21 foxes take with my 17 hmr's both the cz and the sako.

9 taken with 22 lr.

all this in the last 2 years.

bob.

Edited by scotland rifles

Tikka 595 in .234Ackley with Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56, running homeloaded 66gn Berger High BC Varmint bullets at 3940fps.

Extremely accurate vermin control rig.

When a job HAS to be done effectively I prefer to use one tool, and use it very well.

.243Ackley Improved with a Nightforce NXS 8-32X56 , running homeload 80gr Berger bullets at 3500fps.