Fishing

the hitman

Now is the time of year when i turn to my second sporting passion, fly fishing.

I am lucky to live on the banks of the glorious river tweed.

I also fish local stocked reservoirs for rainbows.

Do any other members fish on their local rivers ? And with what success.

Now is the time of year when i turn to my second sporting passion, fly fishing.

I am lucky to live on the banks of the glorious river tweed.

I also fish local stocked reservoirs for rainbows.

Do any other members fish on their local rivers ? And with what success.

marcm has just caught some cracking trout :good:

I used for pike fish the Thames quite a bit, but mainly fly fish small stillwaters for trout, and occasionally the reservoirs as well. You are lucky if you have access to decent river fishing, I envy you, there is nothing better when the water is right.

Have you caught anything decent from the Tweed?

My dad has a rod on a syndicate on the lark in suffolk, its a beautiful strectch of river and though all the fish are stocked and released into the river, it still makes for a different fishing experience and a fantastic way to spend an evening or morning. There's something hypnotic about river fishing, i don't think many things can beat it. I've not been out at all on the river this year (exams looming) but my dad had a good day not so long ago, had quite a few of a decent size on an evening hatch, a small green buzzer was the deadly fly!

IAS

I fish a few rivers "locally" like the Kentish Rother, The Brede and the Tillingham, all for freshwater fish.

Once, or twice a year I visit the Test (out of trout season) and fish for grayling.

There are no natural trout rivers near me unfortunately. :lol:

But, that does give me an excuse to travel. :yp:

Thanks for your reply stuartp.

I have never fished for salmon on the tweed (rather expensive), but i have had some good

sea trout , mostly at dusk. The brown trout are fantastic ,my best is around 3 pounds,

when you hook a wild brownie , it feels like a salmon, they fight like tigers.

I fish the Nar here in Norfolk for wild brown trout. I also make trips to Derbyshire Wye at Upperdale, the Test at Wherwell for the grayling. I was lucky enough to fish the Spey at Tulchan for Salmon for five consecutive years in the early 90's. Planning to go and fish the Wye Usk foundation waters soon hopefully. I enjoy fishing big reservoirs and have fished Rutland, Grafham,Bewl, Blagdon, Chew, Ladybower, Foremark and Hanningfield. Prefer river fishing though, I like the moving water and they way they continually change.

Nothing too local game fishing wise near here. But i do go down onto the wye at bigsweir on the odd day to try for a salmon. There are a few salmon caught on the severn but very few near here. Monnow was fishing well at Kentchurch yesterday had a few nice brownies.

Anyone had a sea trout yet?

Ft

FT,

There was great little run down still water not too far from you but if got bought and is now private, Monk something or other - can't remember now.

You live close to some very good pike and zander fishing as well in the Avon.

But as you say not too much game fishing up there.

FT,

There was great little run down still water not too far from you but if got bought and is now private, Monk something or other - can't remember now.

You live close to some very good pike and zander fishing as well in the Avon.

But as you say not too much game fishing up there.

I think you mean Hywel Morgans fishery in the Lenches, Black Monk lakes, he upset a lot of anglers and was not popular locally which accounts for it being run down. Great Pike, Zander and Barbel on Avon and Severn but no game fish unfortunately. Still it's only 45 minutes to the Wye!

ft

Hitman, if you are close to the tweed you should buy an association ticket for the whiteadder, 50 pounds will get you a season for salmon and trout on an awful lot of riverbank.

They are available at the tackle shop in Berwick.

Flytie yes i have had only a wee sea trout, this was on the cothi and the towy. i was fortunate enough to be out with friends at their small holding and his father is a VERY keen trout fisher, and even thought it was early in the season i caught 2 sea trout and a brownie all very wee ones though.

Haz :good:

Flytie yes i have had only a wee sea trout, this was on the cothi and the towy. i was fortunate enough to be out with friends at their small holding and his father is a VERY keen trout fisher, and even thought it was early in the season i caught 2 sea trout and a brownie all very wee ones though.

Did you fish the Abercothi stretch? Very fond memories of that piece of water!

Ft

i am not sure whether it was cothy or towy, but my friend has a house on abercothi estate and this was a week or few ago, just as the season really opened... so yeah i'll ask my friend.

Haz, the abercothi stretch is where the two rivers meet and upstream from the junction on both rivers for a mile or so.

Ft