UPVC door lock lost keys

harrycatcat1

My daughter has UPVC french doors that lead into a conservatory. She has had the french doors wide open all summer but with winter coming she wants to shut the french doors and lock them but has lost the keys.

I have changed locks before with the key to line up the "cam" and slide it out but cant work out how to do it without the key. :hmm:

Can anyone give me advice please or is it a locksmiths job?

I've changed locks with no keys by drilling the tumblers out.. I use a good 2mm drill bit and drill approx 8mm below the key hole then enlarge the hole to 6mm. if you drill out he tumblers you can then turn the lock with a screwdriver to line the cam up. With good drill bits it should be a 5min job

take the handle off inside and out you need 2 pair of good grips and 2 people grip lock on in side and out and twist in opposite directions it take some doing but the lock should snapin the middle then you can pick a new lock up from most diy starting at £12 it cost me £100 to find that out when the daughter broke a key in a lock and the wife phoned a lock smith up before i got in from work he turned up just as i got home he was there 10 mins and got me to help as well

My daughter has UPVC french doors that lead into a conservatory. She has had the french doors wide open all summer but with winter coming she wants to shut the french doors and lock them but has lost the keys.

I have changed locks before with the key to line up the "cam" and slide it out but cant work out how to do it without the key. :hmm:

Can anyone give me advice please or is it a locksmiths job?

When we had a locksmith out last year after we were burgled overnight whilst we slept upstairs, the guy changed the lock barrels on both the front door and back door in less than 10 minutes flat - No Drilling required, on the edge of the door was a screw which he removed, the whole barrel slides out and a replacement slides in and screw replaced.

Still cost me over £100 though.

When we had a locksmith out last year after we were burgled overnight whilst we slept upstairs, the guy changed the lock barrels on both the front door and back door in less than 10 minutes flat - No Drilling required, on the edge of the door was a screw which he removed, the whole barrel slides out and a replacement slides in and screw replaced.

Still cost me over £100 though.

Yep, undo the screw in the door frame and the lock should just come out.

I've changed locks with no keys by drilling the tumblers out.. I use a good 2mm drill bit and drill approx 8mm below the key hole then enlarge the hole to 6mm. if you drill out he tumblers you can then turn the lock with a screwdriver to line the cam up. With good drill bits it should be a 5min job

Thanks, does this need to be done with the "locater"screw in or out please.

edited to say how far through do you drill and is there any particular side :blush:

I will try this option first as I dont feel strong enough to snap it in the middle knowing my luck I would knacker the door and need a new door. :no:

Edited by harrycatcat1

Thanks, does this need to be done with the "locater"screw in or out please.

edited to say how far through do you drill and is there any particular side :blush:

I will try this option first as I dont feel strong enough to snap it in the middle knowing my luck I would knacker the door and need a new door. :no:

Have you checked the edge of the door for a screw to release the lock barrel ?

(Before you go making extra holes in the door)

leave the screw in as it will hold cylinder while you drill. doesnt matter what side you drill. you will usualy have to drill in at least 20mm depends how long the keys were you can see if all the tumblers are done by looking in drill hole, if lock wont turn drill some more. It might take a bit of force to ture key hole try back and forward and and remaining bits will drop down. Be very careful you dont snap a drill bit as it can be a nighmare then. Have you got a new lock ready to fit in?

take handle of and get a pair of mole grips make sure there tight on barrel head push them to the side and hit with a hammer done this loads of times and i mean loads hope this helps ,forgot to say take holding screw out breaks easier

So, just for the avoidance of doubt, take the screw out, then put the mole grips on (not at 90 degrees) in line with the lock, put pressure on away in the direction you intend to belt it, then belt the back of the grips hard, and hopefully snapping the lock.

Is that the gist of it?

Back in half an hour chap just going to fit me an air flow sensor.

I have just googled "Removal of Euro lock without key". -- loads of answers but copied this one

unscrew the door handle and remove it then get an adjustable spanner and clamp it onto the narrow part of the lock with the spanner horizontal or pointing towards your waist snap the lock from side too side then it will just fall off in your hands remove the screw and any bits of the old lock that have broken off in the lock aperature then fit new lock and refit the screw and the handles

trust me i do this everyday as i work for a maintenance company that change locks on a daily basis

Just found this - it's called lock bumping and it's easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O83MxpEJVVA&feature=related

There you go :good:

Edited by DSPUK

So, just for the avoidance of doubt, take the screw out, then put the mole grips on (not at 90 degrees) in line with the lock, put pressure on away in the direction you intend to belt it, then belt the back of the grips hard, and hopefully snapping the lock.

Is that the gist of it?

Back in half an hour chap just going to fit me an air flow sensor.

no hopefully m8 it will :good:

I was told the same thing by a lock smith - Mole grips, grab the outer part of the lock and twist and move until the lock snaps (and thats with the door closed and locked) in the end I just hammered the **** out of the outer edge of the lock and it snapped in half (weak point is the locator bolt hole in the centre). Then just pull out the debris and either refit a new one (ebay is from experience the best place to find genuine replacement Yale euro's) or if the door is closed and locked use a screwdriver to slide the lock open and then open the door and refit new lock.

It is pretty simple really and worst case is you damage the door structure slightly - I bashed hell out of the lock on mine and didnt cause any damage

Hope this helps

Mike

Edited by Newsportshooter

• 2 weeks later...

post-16219-0-52554000-1320440937.jpg

post-16219-0-16050400-1320440920.jpg

As you can see the lock did not break, I thrashed it senseless to no avail. :no:

The down side is that the door now wont shut properly so wheather its shook the packers loose in the door glass I dont know, I wished I had started with the bump method now cos now I will have to sort out the none shutting door. :angry: