A Question for You Left Hander’s. (Semi Auto Question)

A Question for You Left Hander’s.

Do any fellow lefties shoot with a “Right Handed” semi auto?

Do the flying carts distract you? Is it dangerous?

Looking to buy a semi, but am restricted in the second hand market for a good left handed gun. Also they seam to be more expensive when found!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

POL

I'm a lefty and had a R/H Remmie 1100 back in the seventies when I knew nothing and found the faceful of crud when the cartridges ejected and the wind was blowing into my face not pleasant. If I was in the market for a semi auto nowadays I'd certainly get one with a left handed eject mechanism.

A Question for You Left Hander’s.

Do any fellow lefties shoot with a “Right Handed” semi auto?

Do the flying carts distract you? Is it dangerous?

Looking to buy a semi, but am restricted in the second hand market for a good left handed gun. Also they seam to be more expensive when found!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

POL

im a lett hander and do most of my shooting with a right and semi.most semis dont have much cast anyway,and most come with cast spacers anyway,although i never bother with them.i never notice ejecting shells,so if you pick up a semi and it feels right dont worry if its a right hander makes no difference

As a left handed shooter I have owned a left handed ejection s/a and shot a couple of right handed s/a's.

AFAIK the only left hand eject S/a's available are hatstands, Webley & Scott 810s,

Remmington (1100 and 11-87)and various models of benelli's. If you want a if you need a cheap left hand semio auto you want a Remmington and if you have more money to spend buy the benelli.

A lot of semi auto's have negligible cast and many(particularly the man made stock variants have shims to alter the stock, making it easy to alter the cast yourself.

If you are going to use a right hand eject s/a make sure you wear shooting glasses !

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick one, why dont they make them eject downwards rather than out to the side? Surely this would make it easier to collect carts and make these more ambidextrous. I dont mean moving the mag and changing the whole mechanism but maybe some sort of deflector plate? I know you could possibly go even further and have the used cartridges returned to the magazine somehow and then empty when full but surely downward ejection would be a good thing?

As you rightly say, the magazine is in the place where the cartridges would eject if they are going downwards.

I'd also expect the design evolved this way round to stop people accidentally putting their hand over the port accidentally, or slipping over by standing on a spent cartridge. Semi-auto design are/were heavily military driven, and it's probably best flinging that cartridge as far away as possible when you're a soldier on the move rather than stepping on it.

The Beretta UGB ejects downwards:

BERETTA_UGB_XCEL_side1.jpg

Edited by Flat-Cap

I use a left handed Benelli Montefeltro. excellent value for money second hand and hardly used (£700).

Improved my shooting by about 30% having a left handed gun.

I have used right-handed semi's without too much problem, but the dramatic improvement clearly indicated to me that you need to right tool for the job if you want to improve. :good:

Mart

my shooting friend has a hatstand and i'd never used a semi auto before, his was right handed and i shot it left handed for a grand total of three carts, i saw no problem with it, and there was noticbly hardly any recoil which alowed me to shoot faster and more confortably, never caused a problem for those three cartridges