Visit from police...

BenBhoy

Hey all,

was out decoying pigeons yesterday (got more bloody crows and magpies than woodies!!). anyway....

about 11am my mobile rings, with a witheld number so i ignored it...then another witheld number...followed by a voice mail from police, saying they need to speak urgent and to quote a certain number. i phone but get no sense, whilst on phone it beeps to say call waiting and i receive a second voice mail saying "hello ben, pc #### from derbyshire police here. your vehicle is parked in lay by, return to to it ASAP as we're about to tow it away!! obviously i am gobsmacked, but car is only a 5 minute walk from hide so i quickly pack up and rush over. get there and greeted by two officers. they have received a complaint that shotgun pellets are landing in someones back garden. the house in question is two fields away, approx 800 metres away and in opposite direction to where i've been shooting! i say thats impossible and offer to show PC where i'm shooting. he comes with, and whilst walking admits that he suspects the lady in question is either annoyed at noise or the fact that people shoot things. he gets to my hide, sees decoys and is more than satisfied that i'm shooting safely. he shows a real interest in the decoys and in the whole set up and was actually a thoroughly decent chap. he apologised for dirupting me and thanked me for being so understanding. he checked my permission and said he'd call back in on the lady with complaint and inform her that as long as someone has permisson and is acting within the law then they can shoot on farmland.

just goes to show what your up against when you simply intend on spending a few relaxing hours alone. hats off to staffordshire police though (well, this individual officer anway)

What has towing a vehicle got to do with a shooting complaint??? That wouldve been a of a silly response to the complaint wouldn't it? If they did that you have a hacked off guy carrying a gun, decoys and dead pigeons for god knows how many miles!

Sounds like the end result was good though... :good:

It really is about time these people had a bill through their letterbox for the full cost of the callout :yes: I would so love to see some one having to pay for the full monty, armed response, helicopter etc. And have it broadcasted over the main news media so every one that thinks they can use the police as a tool to disrupt a totally legitimate country pursuit gets a wake up call at hude cost to themselves :yes::yes:

A local pheasant shoot had a visit from the plod last week. Apparently a jogger had been shot with a shotgun leaving her with huge bruises on her legs. The police were satisfied that anyone standing in the bottom of valley were unlikely to hit anyone in the woods half a mile away :blink: We expect it was actually the neighbours (city folks weekend retreat).

It really is about time these people had a bill through their letterbox for the full cost of the callout :yes: I would so love to see some one having to pay for the full monty, armed response, helicopter etc. And have it broadcasted over the main news media so every one that thinks they can use the police as a tool to disrupt a totally legitimate country pursuit gets a wake up call at hude cost to themselves :yes::yes:

bang on mate.. :good:

Best response on the forum i can remember. A great idea. I detest these cowardly tossers who make up lies. I had a woman come over to me when i was legit and she said she was a police officer visiting her sister and that i should be at least 150 yards from her boundary. I was well over 200 but the point is she claimed to be a cop and dident know that the law states 15yds from a road only. I decided to confront her after i packed up and knocked on her door and when the sister answered she claimed her 'cop' sister had just gone home. She was impersonating a police officer and was happy to cause aggro in my life. **** her i thought, the bitch.!!

Edited by unapalomablanca

Best response on the forum i can remember. A great idea. I detest these cowardly tossers who make up lies. I had a woman come over to me when i was legit and she said she was a police officer visiting her sister and that i should be at least 150 yards from her boundary. I was well over 200 but the point is she claimed to be a cop and dident know that the law states 15yds from a road only. I decided to confront her after i packed up and knocked on her door and when the sister answered she claimed her 'cop' sister had just gone home. She was impersonating a police officer and was happy to cause aggro in my life. **** her i thought, the bitch.!!

Sorry to correct its 15feet from the center of the highway mate

How do you know Warwickshire police do that?

That would be telling

I am surprised not that the police responded to a complaint. What i am surprised at is after seeing the police in the rest the uk's armed response units in action you are lucky you didn't end up looking down the wrong end of a mp5 dogs biting your ankles and a helicopter hovering over your head.

Just as well you weren't sitting on a train minding your own business.

These alligations are rife mate half the time the coppers beleve it and take it a step further no matter how imposable the alligation sounds. Theres are more lawfull shooters haveing H&K MP5S pointed at them & looseing their certs over **** like this than anything else

Like your mate Winchester?

Theres no way shot is going to travel 800 yds. More like 120 yds but these people will wear the police down eventually and the attitude will change. Next time you may not be so lucky getting an aware cop.

I use 400yds as my safety zone. No problems so far. I might have to up it a bit when I start using bigger shot sizes through my homeloads.

Been fortunate never had guns pointed at me but have been (to say the least) inconvenienced with stop/question/examine documents/car search a few times at the same location.I know the source of the complaint & do wonder why the police do not at least warn her for wasting police time but fear that having SGC/Firearms makes me vulnerable to every bigots unfounded accusations.It seems making unfounded accusations against shooters has no repercussions!