Extend the pheasant season?

scolopax

Just been onto the BASC site and saw they are running a poll, to gauge opinion on extending the pheasant season to 20th February.

Now realistically this would probably never happen, as opening up the shooting season debate could backfire as those who want to limit our shooting would relish the opportunity to influence the decision makers to our detriment, but......if there was to be no come back, what would you change ?

Personally I would be happy to shift the pheasant season back 20 days, and also whilst about it do the same with redleg partridge, conversely I would support a shortening of the grey partridge season by finishing on the 1st January.

Not realy too bothered about extending the pheasant season;some may want it starting later as a result of too amny immature birds about.Not my opinion,just what I've heard.

One of the main reasons the game license was scrapped was because it was costing more to administer its application than was received in revenue from it.In all the years I've shot,I was never asked once to produce my game license;many guns didn't bother with them,and some Post offices didn't stock them.It was quite common for 'city' guns staying in the local hotels in my village to buy them from our village PO as they couldn't get them back home.

If they were introduced again you can rest assured they would cost a damn sight more than six quid.

No. Leave it as it is. I think they should bring back the game licence aswell but not as before were the money was put into somones back pocket. The full amount should go to consavation. What dose £6 get you these days a couple of pints depending were you are.

I think you will find that the problem was none of it was making it into anyones pocket.It was costing more than it was taking in so to take it back is a joke,and nay a very funny one either.

Just been onto the BASC site and saw they are running a poll, to gauge opinion on extending the pheasant season to 20th February.

Now realistically this would probably never happen, as opening up the shooting season debate could backfire as those who want to limit our shooting would relish the opportunity to influence the decision makers to our detriment, but......if there was to be no come back, what would you change ?

Personally I would be happy to shift the pheasant season back 20 days, and also whilst about it do the same with redleg partridge, conversely I would support a shortening of the grey partridge season by finishing on the 1st January.

No leave the season as it is, February is when most members here will get their best opportunity to roost shoot at the finish of the game season.

Blackpowder

If you look at the BASC website it is not a campaign and I doubt whether any members money has been spent on it except for the two minutes it took for a staff member to put the poll on the site.

They have polls like this on a regular basis asking a whole host of questions, I guess it is usefull in gauging the memberships opinions on different matters.

Its amazing how quickly folk jump into BASC bashing mode !

If you look at the BASC website it is not a campaign and I doubt whether any members money has been spent on it except for the two minutes it took for a staff member to put the poll on the site.

They have polls like this on a regular basis asking a whole host of questions, I guess it is usefull in gauging the memberships opinions on different matters.

Its amazing how quickly folk jump into BASC bashing mode !

well said

I can confirm that no BASC money has been spent on this. The purpose of the poll on the BASC website is to guage opinion in the shooting community, no more than that. Should this debate go forwards it will not be the only consultation with the shooting community.

The reason behind the poll is that a pro-shooting MP - Jim Shannon - raised an extension of the pheasant shooting season in parliament. The governmnet's reply was that they were open to holding a discussion. If such a discussion were initiated BASC would want to know the views of the shooting community.

The key factor in any extension of the season is whether or not it would impinge on the breeding season. We have a legal obligation under the Birds Directive to ensure 20 clear days before egg laying in the wild. Initial reviews of the science suggest that a February extension would not interfere with the breeding season.

There is no suggestion at present that this would imvolve a shift in the season with no shooting earlier on to secure shooting later on. Nor would anyone be forced to go shooting in February. It would be up to each shoot to decide their policy within the law - just as many shoots don't start until November although the season begins on October 1st.

The poll is currently showing 75% in favour of an extension. It is helpful to get feedback from pigeon watch on individual views.

On a personal note, my political judgement is that if we wanted such an extension and there was a logical case for it then this government might well be up for it, nor do I see a major problem with opposition parties or a significant campaign against it from the antis.

Christopher

I would rather shoot dec, jan, feb

1. Birds would be further along, and better fliers, good tails etc

2. leaf cover would be down so you could see the damn things.

3. Hate feb so would be something to see the end of winter

1. Surely if the birds aren't ready when you shoot them, then put them out earlier rather than extending the season. :blink:

1. Surely if the birds aren't ready when you shoot them, then put them out earlier rather than extending the season. :blink:

yes But it doesn't happen, I beat at 2 shoots, one private and one with over 4000 pheasants and 1000 ducks but no one makes the effort to bring the birds on a month early so the majority of the birds will be fully tailed (pheasants) instead of them being shot it the first month with many havin only half tails If they're lucky. I say by starting the shooting season a month later than it has currently been for many years this will allow wild birds more time to mature and for woodcock to have some time on their own to get into shape again after their long journey, shootin to the end on February can only do more good for shootin and wild life :good:

I do agree with the lengthening of the season to mid or end of february for all shooting not only pheasant. I also think though that it should be put back a month at the beginning especially the shooting of young ducks in september. Also some milder years our main migration of woodcock don't arrive to the january moon

yep too many shoots moan about heir birds not haveing tails......simple get them out sooner!

and yes i think we should add a month to the season,just think of all the extra tips and bottles of port (when i actuly start getting a share!)

i would personally move the pheasant season so that it started on 1st of november and ended on the 1st of march. october is a wasted month as cover is still heavy, the weather is still warm, and there are to many young birds around

and what about them who make a liveing from shooting?

the leavs are off a lot sooner up hear we shoot from day one! and as i said befor get the birds out sooner!

It would be a major mistake putting back the shooting season for pheasants for a month. First you are shooting birds that have survived the worst part of the winter when food is at its shortest and the breeding season is just around the corner. By killing wild pheasants in Feb you will be killing the seed crop for next seasons breeding. Secondly what would happen to late winter pigeon roost shooting ? It would have to be stoped or at the very least put back a month or more close to the time when the woods need to be quiet as the game are starting to get ready to nest. Last year we had pheasants laying by early April , so they would have been selecting nest sites by at least mid March.

By putting back the shooting season a month may mean a few late bred mallard would be bigger birds , but mallard are breeding very early these days and i shoot a lot of well coloured males by mid september. I have caught from the end of January mallard( for ringing study ) with eggs inside them and mallard are sitting by March. The loss of September duck shooting would mean may teal would pass through the country before the start of shooting and put an end to most stubble shooting.

The seasons are a fair balance as they are and the only people who would benifit from an extended season are the shoots that only worry about reared birds and do not care about wild stock.

Edited by anser2

It would be a major mistake putting back the shooting season for pheasants for a month. First you are shooting birds that have survived the worst part of the winter when food is at its shortest and the breeding season is just around the corner. By killing wild pheasants in Feb you will be killing the seed crop for next seasons breeding. Secondly what would happen to late winter pigeon roost shooting ? It would have to be stoped or at the very least put back a month or more close to the time when the woods need to be quiet as the game are starting to get ready to nest. Last year we had pheasants laying by early April , so they would have been selecting nest sites by at least mid March.

By putting back the shooting season a month may mean a few late bred mallard would be bigger birds , but mallard are breeding very early these days and i shoot a lot of well coloured males by mid september. I have caught from the end of January mallard( for ringing study ) with eggs inside them and mallard are sitting by March. The loss of September duck shooting would mean may teal would pass through the country before the start of shooting and put an end to most stubble shooting.

The seasons are a fair balance as they are and the only people who would benifit from an extended season are the shoots that only worry about reared birds and do not care about wild stock.

An excellent post. :good:

Another good reason to leave the shooting seasons where they are is that without October shooting some shoots will get very little chance to bag a pheasant or two.

I used to shoot a couple of marshland shoots that held a good head of wild pheasants. But as soon as the winter rains set in usualy by mid November the birds leave for the dry uplands off the shoot. OK you have to be a bit selective in the birds you shoot only taking well grown birds , but of the 10-20 birds we used to shoot only the odd one or two were shot after November . Another factor is on most farms cover is in short supply after late autumn and it becomes difficult to hold birds and get within range after the frost kills holding cover. That might not be such a problem for driven birds , but good cover is important if like me you prefer to hunt pheasants with a dog rather than standing at a peg.

There are few more enjoyable shooting sports than hunting your dog through a reedy corner or berry laden hedge on a golden October afternoon. For the all round roughshooter \ wildfowler early autumn pheasants fill the gap between the early days of September duck shooting and the serious days of wildfowling to come.

Edited by anser2