Chainsaw won't start

Ricko

A friend gave me an ancient Stihl 08S, I have fitted a new spark plug and drained the fuel and replaced with Aspen2 (still doesn't start), can I have your advice on getting it going. I am/was mechanically minded but just being a bit lazy!!

Cheers

First, check it's got a spark. If that ok, pour a small amount of oil/petrol mix in the plug hole and try to start it. If it runs for a few seconds then stops, check the fuel filter in the tank. If that fails it may need the diaphragms in the carb replacing, especially if it has been stood for a while.

how are you trying to start it?

has it fired at all

usually with a stihl full choke, pull it till it tries to run then choke off full throttle and it should fire up, any more pulling it over with full choke will end up flooding it

is the plug wet

does the plug spark

you missed out shout and swear at it before taking to a shop

I have an old McCulloch (which in all fairness I bought in 1990 and have since given up with) which used to succumb to this treatment.

4 hours spent on a Sunday morning to get it working for 30 mins of cutting!

Edited by ricko

Got one of those beasts in the garage (well i hope stihl i have) :lol:

Now i am probably in the wrong here but what i have done is,-fill with decent fuel, take out plug & heat it up,squirt some lighter fluid in the pot, replace plug and lead and start :yes: not failed yet.

Must admit its been replaced with a newer more upto date safer 180 now with a nice chain brake on :good::yes:

08S is a bit OTT for logging

I've just got my 7 year old Husqvarna 346 back from the shop after it suffered a similar problem. It hasn't been used for a few months and when I went to it it would fire but not run, just needed the carb cleaned out and new fuel hose fitted as it had started to perish, only cost £20 to get sorted so I'm a happy bunny.......one of the larger local Husqvarna dealers told me to sling it in a skip at that age as it wasn't worth repairing.....won't be asking them again :rolleyes: