The day you left home forever!

unapalomablanca

A momentous day for most i would think, though its not often you hear people talk about it.

I was 21 and left with thirty quid and a few tins of soup and went to live in a grotty flat with 3 others. None of this rich parent lark for me! Looking back, although it was responsibility it was actually made easier as i was the only one i had to fend for. How about others?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 years old, mortgaged to the eyeballs, my bivvy bed and sleeping bag, portable telly, and the girlfriend. ( now wife) . We had no heating apart from each other and struggled to pay for food. Wouldn't change a thing and we both appreciate what we have and can afford to have now.

17 and got on the train to start my basic training for The Royal Engineers in blackwater,camberley,waving goodbye to my family.

was very apprehensive,but when i got there,i didn't have time to fa*t let alone be homesick,was one of the best things ever to happen to me,taught me to fend for myself and made me think for myself.

Edited by welsh1

I was 20 and I left to work at sea and in the first 2 weeks I crossed the Atlantic 3 times and went to 4 continents.

Felt guilty that I didn't call or write enough and even more guilty when I moved back home nearly 2 years later with a girl that was to become my wife.

Edited by FalconFN

was 1993 i was 17 moved out with girlfriend who was 16, 6 months later she was pregnant, 3 months after that we were married, 6 months after that she gave birth to our first (daughter), two years later gave birth to second (son), 5 years later divorced, 11 years on .......... still hate the bitch!

:exclamation:

Haha made me chuckle that :lol:

I left home at 21 with the "girlfriend of the time". I only left because she promised that "it" would be on tap and she would do the washing and ironing.

We rented a flat round the corner. The flat had metal single glazed "Crittall" windows and it backed on to the main train line to London Liverpool street. We could look out of our window and see peoples faces on the train at the platform. The freight train went through at 4-5am and woke me up for months.

We had a borrowed sofa and a plastic crate upside down as a TV stand for the small portable TV - and that was pretty much it.

We used to sleep under two duvets and fully dressed in the winter months.

---------------

17 years later the "girlfriend of the time" is now Mrs ME (of 10 years), we have two great boys 10 & 7 years and my train spotting days are over!

Edited by ME

20, girlfriend was 17 and pregnant. We moved in together a couple months later, and we were so poor, i converted an old speaker cab into a crib for my son. Think thats where his love of Metal comes from :lol: Been married nearly 12 years. We had very little at the time, and everything we did have was either second hand or borrowed.

I left home at 21 with the "girlfriend of the time". I only left because she promised that "it" would be on tap and she would do the washing and ironing.

We rented a flat round the corner. The flat had metal single glazed "Crittall" windows and it backed on to the main train line to London Liverpool street. We could look out of our window and see peoples faces on the train at the platform. The freight train went through at 4-5am and woke me up for months.

We had a borrowed sofa and a plastic crate upside down as a TV stand for the small portable TV - and that was pretty much it.

We used to sleep under two duvets and fully dressed in the winter months.

---------------

17 years later the "girlfriend of the time" is now Mrs ME (of 10 years), we have two great boys 10 & 7 years and my train spotting days are over!

Lol, our flat had the great issue of no insulation, too hot in summer and condensation on the bed cloths in winter, our girls are 19 and 22. Doesn't hert to rough it a little ;) tough times never seem too bad these days . Ask your mum and dad about the tough times, not as easy as ours. You will always be a stronger couple because of this as will we be.

atvb Paul.

I too had those crittle windows and we used to scrape the ice off the inside in the mornings. I did not want to get out of my pit in the morning .

I am with you there brother.

All our clothes and shoes got damp and mouldy due to the damp cause by the condensation too.

We had a plant on top of the TV, it used to shake as trains went by - like on the Blues Brothers film.