Family trivia.

Dr_Scholl

-My father's original last name was Potts before my grandmother remarried

-Anthoney Potts, the first member of my family to set foot in America, immigrated to Virginia from England in 1635

-I'm of English and Ulster-Scot ancestry

-My great-great-great grandfather Capt. John Bunting was a slave owner

-my paternal grandfather, Lloyd Potts, survived an assassination attempt courtesy of his ex wife

-my maternal grandfather was a Baptist minister for 30 years

-I had 3 ancestors fight in the American Civil War, 1 died

Hi you have obviously done your research,good work that man.Question were did you find the info as I am quite interested but dont really know where to start

atb Jim

My dad's uncle did most of the research for that side of the family years ago. But he's been dead since 2005 so I don't know exactly how he did it.

For my mother's side, her brother did most of the work. He's a college professor and PH.D who loves doing that sort of thing. I should ask him one of these days.

-Anthoney Potts, the first member of my family to set foot in America, immigrated to Virginia from England in 1635

-my paternal grandfather, Lloyd Potts, survived an assassination attempt courtesy of his ex wife

ulster scots :good:

one of my relatives helped capture ned kelly. :lol:

Edited by artschool

my Glasgow born Wife has much of hers done dating back to the Irish side and a couple of unsavory characters, never had much luck on the sites, which would you reccomend to use for the best results Dr Scholl?

Martin.

Nothing special about mine, 9 on my mums side and 11 on my dads along with 44 cousins. My Grandad did spar with Tommy Farr. My wife was adopted though and has always known this. Eight years ago we got a springer pup from Bedworth, four years ago she traced her birth family. Turns out the pup and her half Brother shared the same post code!!! now that is spooky.

atvb Paul.

Nothing special about mine, 9 on my mums side and 11 on my dads along with 44 cousins. My Grandad did spar with Tommy Farr. My wife was adopted though and has always known this. Eight years ago we got a springer pup from Bedworth, four years ago she traced her birth family. Turns out the pup and her half Brother shared the same post code!!! now that is spooky.

atvb Paul.

i'm in bedworth,cv12 anywhere near here?

Montrose Scots on my dad's side, came down via Manchester/Lancs - Dorset of Cornish stock on my mum's side. Nowt really special otherwise, apart from the fact that my great.......etc Grandad owned what became most of Manchester airport, it was rough ground he grew strawberries on for a market garden business. It was compulsory purchased before WWI for military use, he got a pittance. I wish I could get it's current market value! :good:

my Glasgow born Wife has much of hers done dating back to the Irish side and a couple of unsavory characters, never had much luck on the sites, which would you reccomend to use for the best results Dr Scholl?

Martin.

Ancestry.com is good from what I hear. But it isn't as easy as they show on the commercials. It will take some time and get harder the farther back you go.

I've never looked in detail but my family resided in the Moravian Community in Manchester and my great grandfather was a spy for Kitchener - he spoke 6 Arabic dialects apparently, I have some very fragile press cuttings about it. He also liked antiques but tended to have them 'altered' to suit his taste, so they are 'family' but mongrel. I must dig a bit deeper sometime.

I like the 'involved with', are you any good at chopping wood Steve ? - could be a genetic 'gift'.

my great, great grandparents were Romany Gypsy; other arms of the family were 'pedlars' and 'horse traders' (all on my dads side - going back to the early 1800's). Mothers side are from south wales - cockle pickers at Penclawdd (again a long line back here)

my grandad was one of 9 siblings in active service in ww2 - they all came home (thankfully only with light injury) - this was apparently in the guiness book of records for a bit, until a family from Norfolk took the top spot with 10.

My Nans, cousin was a cabin boy on the Titanic

At 14 it was his first voyage and his last.

Also my nan had a photo of my Grandfather with the King and Winston Churchill at a Treaty signing.

My grandfather was in uniform standing behind them.

Dont know much about the history of the photo but i have a feeling it was in Paris?

Am sure my Nan said the place was bomb soon after they left. But i could be wrong about the last bit as its years now since i was first told :rolleyes:

xxxSuzy

I'm apparently descended from Irish Mercenaries (not intended to be a joke).

My Great Grandfather ran a mine on the Gold Coast in Africa and there is a photo with him, my Great Grandmother and a younger African woman holding a half cast baby in the background. Picture looks like it was taken in the UK but we know nothing else about it and nobody remains living to ask - would love to get to the bottom of that one day...

Personally I don't see the point. I knew who my parents were and that is good enough for me. Never knew my grandparents and had no interest in researching my family tree. I would rather look forward than back. I mean one of my ancestors could have been famous but what difference would it have made? It wouldn't change who I am would it.