What Gun

ROY

Sweeping statement, please explain.

Not why the others are better, but why not to buy those particular guns.

They are plentyful at clay shoots without any more complaints than the guns that you recommend to buy. Or is it just preference?

It is all preference isn't it.

I don't know many people that buy one gun and stick with it. Most of us go through a few before we find one we like. I would therefore consider the resale value and would not buy a new gun until I had tried / owned a few.

I relate guns to cars. Browning and Beretta are the BMWs and Mercs, there are other cheap makes that would be the Citroen / Fiat / Kia / Skoda type alternatives.

Do you want a second hand Merc that will hold its value or a new Kia that will lose value immediately?

This car comparison bears out in the difference between Brownings and Berettas. I see Brownings like a BMW, lots of people like them but I personally wouldn't own one. Nothing against them or their owners, just don't like the look or features of them.

EDIT: My first gun was a 1985 Beretta Silver Pigeon. Prior to that the gun was Munglers first gun, it was passed by me to our mate Dave. None of us lost any money on the deal, the gun has done the rounds over the last 6 years, shot many cartridges and has never needed repair. I saw it at a game shoot the other week and held it up and it still fits and "comes up" the same. That same gun will STILL be the same price in the second hand market now.

Edited by ME

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are plentyful at clay shoots without any more complaints than the guns that you recommend to buy. Or is it just preference?

A Browning/Beretta/Miroku will far outlast a Lanber or Webley. They might be Ok for occasional use, but not if you want a gun that's going to last for a few years and hold it's value :yes:

A Browning/Beretta/Miroku will far outlast a Lanber or Webley. They might be Ok for occasional use, but not if you want a gun that's going to last for a few years and hold it's value :yes:

Thats more what i was looking for :)

Anyone strongly agree or disagree???

I agree with it, if your budget will go for getting a beretta / browning or miroku as the spares if ever needed should be availiable and will have a better resale value. A friend asked one gun smith which gun to go for and his response was to get one of the above.

Not every ones budget will stretch to the above so other guns do come into play like the lanber sporting delux.

You will also get the get a browning or beretta as don't like the browning or beretta. I have owned browning / miroku and beretta's with my preferance being beretta's as they are a better fit. With browning / miroku I have to have the cast altered.

The guns i am thinking of are......

Webley 912K

Avoid the Webley AT ALL COSTS!! Webley now mass produce cheap Turkish rubbish. My Webley failed after a few days and the foreend on my mates split within 6 months. I got a full reund after plenty of arguing, my mate got naff all!

For me it would be a used beretta, if you want to buy new the Lanber Field and Sporters are about £600, they're also 3' chambered and steel proof. Or so I believe...

Thats more what i was looking for :)

Anyone strongly agree or disagree???

Strongly agree, when i started i was given my dads old browning my mate bought a new lanber.

We were shooting 200 clays a week & after just over a year the lanber was worn out. We both traded for new guns, my mate got sod all as it was knackered i got more than my dad payed for his.

I shoot a Browning which I have had from new just on 20 years, nice gun and has been very well used but looks as good as new, I also have a Lanber that I have had for 12 years and was 2nd hand when I brought it as an intro gun for my son in law, this gun has been passed around to many a new shhooter, and will be again this week end in Norfolk, it is regularly used at Oddjobs school shoot, and as they say it does what it says on tin (stick expected with that statement (tin)).

As ME stated it is all about preference, what would I go for? my Browning everytime, and if I were to buy another new gun, I would probably go for a another Browning.

But a Lanber along with many other makes, is a good intro gun, and as, has been said many times already, get a gun that fits, try as many differing guns as you can, and then make an informed decision.

I have owned a Beretta Silver Pigeon, a Browning Medallist and got rid of both when I got My Lanber. Its about 15 years old, shot thousands of Cartridges between myself and the chap that had it before me and Im sure will see another 10 years of action at least. It cost me £100 pounds.I use it as my rough gun, on the clays and on organised shoots. Get some stick for it but hey, kills as well as the guns next to mine. Again, fit is the important bit, but if something works for you then that cannot be a bad thing. On a shoot last year, there was an eleven year old boy with an old .410 hammer gun that did not look safe. I was scared standing next to him. He put most of us to shame and did not miss a thing!!!! He knew his gun and it worked for him. Try out as much as possible, get a feel for what you like but put practicality before anything else. Its much more upsetting damaging a £1000 gun than a £100 gun. Good luck! T

The webley will fall to bits if you look at it funny and the lanber handles like a bag of spanners. Plus come to re sell one and wave goodbye to a good chunk of cash. Second hand beretta at mirook and look after it = neutral transaction.

I don't mind the new b525 too much, but any other Browning feels like a fence post with dead weight at the end of the barrels. I don't think you can beat Beretta. The Silver Pigeon 1 Sporter is in a league of its own :sly:

A league of one that's true, how exactly do the new 525 differ from the old ones?

After a quick look about i have discovered i can get a NEW Browning Citori for about £1200 or a Beretta Silver Pigeon I for £1300 think ill extend my budget a little and go for one of these depending on the fit. I have used a Beretta 686 at the clay shoot will it be similar in fit to the Silver Pigeon???

:hmm:

Edited by ROY