chop / mitre saw

normgun

If, for example you are doing skirtings -get a mitre. If its just 90 degree stuff then its a chop saw just pulls out and does not mitre.

I have a mitre saw which extends about 6 inches, with an eight inch dia blade, it also has a turn table so it mitres in all directions, suits all my little jobs pergectly.

I would however get a good quality saw as the mitre part needs to be accurate, also the arm needs to be robust or you will find the cuts inaccurate as pulling down on the saw will cause it to change the angle of cut. You will also need a blade with around about 40 teeth (8") or the cut edges will be v rough.

Try a few out "dry" (- no power) see how they feel setting up for jobs and pulling the blade.

I've had a Dewalt for a few years at work, which is used every day cutting everything from cornice to 9x3 and is faultless. Just changed the bushes last week. The gaffer bought a second one (slightly bigger) again from Dewalt. Very good piece of kit and highly accurate.

JF

I used to have a Dewalt DW708 a few years ago when I worked for myself, excellent piece of kit allows mitre cuts past 45 deg think it goes to 55 and 60, cuts compound mitres both sides, slides to cut 12x4 timbers and has the ability to set depth of cut easily.

Expensive to buy but if you can justify the expense worth every penny.

As I only use a chop saw occasionally and for hobby/diy stuff I couldn't jutify it so bought the evolution rage at £150 does nearly as much but not quite, it only cuts to about 46-47 deg mitres and the depth of cut is a faff to set.

Definately Dewalt, if money stretches ,

Dewalt is just overbadged, overpriced Black and Decker :lol:

There is nothing wrong with B&D, but dont pay Dewalt prices.

My other view is, I would rather buy 10 cheap tools than 1 over priced one.

Edited by V8landy

Sorry mate got to disagree, I'm learning with age that you do get what you pay for, and that rings true with power tools. I'd rather buy the best I can afford and know it won't let me down at 10.30 on a sunday night, even after a few years of hard use.

What a lot of ****.

Another vote for DW712 with stand.

JF

I would agree for some tools, but not for a mitre saw.

A cheap one that doesn't cut straight, doesn't keep it's angles and gets sloppy after a few dozen cuts is worse than useless, you'd be better off with a hand saw and a sharp pencil.

There is also quite a difference between, for example, B&D plastic gearboxes and Dewalt metal ones. It's like comparing a Snap-On spanner and a Halfords one. Both will do the job but how well and for how long?

It all depends on what you are doing and how often you do it, but the difference between a DIY tool and a professional one can usually be seen in the quality (and speed) of the finished job.

I would agree for some tools, but not for a mitre saw.

A cheap one that doesn't cut straight, doesn't keep it's angles and gets sloppy after a few dozen cuts is worse than useless, you'd be better off with a hand saw and a sharp pencil.

There is also quite a difference between, for example, B&D plastic gearboxes and Dewalt metal ones. It's like comparing a Snap-On spanner and a Halfords one. Both will do the job but how well and for how long?

It all depends on what you are doing and how often you do it, but the difference between a DIY tool and a professional one can usually be seen in the quality (and speed) of the finished job.

Given that halfords bought out Sykes-0pickavant several years ago and for a long time every own brand halfords spanner still had a sykes pickavant logo on it you've probably picked a bad analogy, but the sentiment is one i'd agree with.

Trade users should buy the best tools they can afford- buy cheap and you will buy several times over. Remember when in factoring in the costs for the hours work lost when the homebase value brand tool lets you down and you have to leave the job to replace it.

for DIYers i would suggest taking a view of the jobs that you will have for a tool and buy quality where you are going to get regular use and lesser quality when you are going to have only very occaisional use. for most that means a good quality battery combi drill and lesser copies of everything else

if dewalt, makita and Hilti where simply producing overpriced Cwap they would have gone out of business

Given that halfords bought out Sykes-0pickavant several years ago and for a long time every own brand halfords spanner still had a sykes pickavant logo on it you've probably picked a bad analogy, but the sentiment is one i'd agree with.

Fair do's, I didn't know that. I have a fair number of Halfords branded spanners and I will admit they are good quality. Their "professional" socket ratchets are a load of toss tho, the innards seem to be made of some combination of cheese and balsa wood.

No mate, far from it, the early dewalt chop saws were in fact rebranded ELU, one of the best designs on the market for years and still popular for a smaller machine, i've still got my big ol' dewalt chopsaw, i think it's a 708L, had it for 12 yrs now and still going, some people rave about makita, they're well made too but i prefer the handle on the dewalt and the less complicated locking mechanism. I do have a small 9" makita saw for smaller stuff as it's easier to carry.