Police targeting of shoot vehicles

Blunderbuss

Beating today and for a change we shot through and had lunch in the field between drives. We normally go back to the farm and sit down. We mixed it with the guns and it was quite a boozy do. Sloe gin, ginger wine, Kings Ginger, whisky macs and cans of beer etc. I was driving so only had one very small ginger wine, as did most of the other beaters apart from one or two who lived locally and could walk.

It was very tempting as it was freezing cold and the craic was good, but I value my driving licence too much. But I was amazed to watch some of the guns, all of whom were driving, chucking it back like there was no tomorrow! One of the other beaters told me that the local cops were deliberately targeting muddy land rovers full of tweedy blokes on Saturdays at this time of year, for D&D stops. They'd have had a field day with this lot today! Anyone else heard of the police targeting shoot vehicles for breath tests?

Edited by Blunderbuss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone whose partner was knocked down by a drunk driver who was 4x the limit, and who went to prison for 3months as a result I really can't see the need to drink at all when shooting and that is regardless of whether you are going to drive afterwards or not.

Very sorry to hear that, and I agree with you. The reality is though, that it seems to be quite widespread on driven shoots. I'm not suggesting the police shouldn't deliberately target shoots - if you're over the limit tough luck, just wondered if this targeting was common?

I'll always take a small amount of sloe gin at a shoot but if I'm driving it is a very small one! I know it's nice to have a few but I agree with the general feeling here - if you have too many then you need to be taken off of the road!

It's good to hear that the police are doing their job. I have heard the same in years gone by and although it's sad to say it I think a great many game shots have a little too much from the hip flask. :/

Im afaraid they get what they deserve in my opinion.

last week, the shoot captain buried His 14 Year old nephew because of a drunken scumbag in a Land Rover.

Drink driving is a disgrace full stop. I have zero sympathy for people who get done, I dont have a problem with a drink or two on a driven day, but at least arrange transport.

I agree with the majority, shoot and have coffee - finish and have as much drink as you like provided you arent driving. If you are stay off it. You kill somone whilst over the limit, its murder and its simply not necessary.

We have a special responsibility as gun owners and I, for one, dont see a problem with the police targeting drunk drivers, shooters included.

Am with Kes.

You want to drink and shoot ... blow your own face off do us a favour.

Drink & drive ... ... again just blow your head off before you get in the car you selfish ******* ... I too know a family who suffered through drink driving. And in my experience its the chava's & lardy daa toffs who think its their god given right to have a few as there above the law ... Lock em all up!

The problem is many drink drivers are unaware of the legal limits of consumption, ie, what puts them over the top, I personally favour a zero alchohol limit on driving then there would be NO confusion, and no more senseless accidents-deaths due to some ****** idiots who think its Ok to get legless and get behind the wheel.

Alan

There is no legal limit of consumption as drink affects every one diffrently. One drink may put you over the limit one day but not the next. I just dont drink at all if i'm driving. I also believe the police should target areas where drink drivers are likely to be whether its vehicles leaving a shoot or cars in the morning after xmas nights out. I hate drunk drivers as i have to deal with the aftermath and tell the families the bad news.

Seriously, to be unaware of units and drink-drive limits now, you would literally have to live in a cave.

I'm sure most people are aware of the limits, they just don't know how alcohol will affect them at a given time.

As has already been said, you might get away with a couple of pints one day but the same amount could put you over the limit the next.

I won't touch a drop if I'm driving for that very reason.

The problem is many drink drivers are unaware of the legal limits of consumption, ie, what puts them over the top, I personally favour a zero alcohol limit on driving then there would be NO confusion, and no more senseless accidents-deaths due to some ****** idiots who think its OK to get legless and get behind the wheel.

Alan

Don't disagree Alan150 but think you are being naive if you think having a zero limit will stop the drunken drivers. If they take no notice of the laws now why would they obey them if a bit tougher?

This is a currently a tough law to obey i.e. every persons limit is different, mine might be 2 pints, Joe Bloggs might be 4 pints and Jane Doe's might be 1 glass of wine. I blow 1mg below the limit but Joe and Jane blow 1mg over, I'm sent on my way and J & J are arrested. Reaction testing however might show that Joe and Jane are perfectly capable still but my ability is impaired, is that fair or just??

So zero limit is the way to go but the issue here is simple, at what point after having a drink are you at zero? The police could probably solve the UK's traffic overcrowding just by breath testing on a Saturday and Sunday morning, bet 50% of drivers would be over a zero limit.

Potter

Sentencing is a big problem, the courts treat motoring offences as a bit of a joke. Seen an article in the press recently drink driver court 4x the limit and jailed for 18 months, but it was his second conviction as he had previously killed a child while drink driving. Perhaps if he got 25 years for his first offence he might have learnt his lesson.

It's not just the courts that is the problem. When I was at school and learning to drive we were told every two minutes at school and on TV, don't drink and drive, don't take drugs etc. Problem arose when people stopped drinking and driving and the numbers caught dropped so they stopped the education programs. What we find now is there are three types of drivers. The older mid 40's upwards hard core drink drivers who don't think it is a problem and will always do it, a middle group from around 25 to early 40's who just won't do it at all and now we are getting more and more under 25's drink driving as it is no longer taught during road safety in school or on the TV so they don't see it as a problem or what it can do.

Don't disagree Alan150 but think you are being naive if you think having a zero limit will stop the drunken drivers. If they take no notice of the laws now why would they obey them if a bit tougher?

This is a currently a tough law to obey i.e. every persons limit is different, mine might be 2 pints, Joe Bloggs might be 4 pints and Jane Doe's might be 1 glass of wine. I blow 1mg below the limit but Joe and Jane blow 1mg over, I'm sent on my way and J & J are arrested. Reaction testing however might show that Joe and Jane are perfectly capable still but my ability is impaired, is that fair or just??

So zero limit is the way to go but the issue here is simple, at what point after having a drink are you at zero? The police could probably solve the UK's traffic overcrowding just by breath testing on a Saturday and Sunday morning, bet 50% of drivers would be over a zero limit.

Potter

Hi

No it will never stop drunken drivers or burglers or any criminal kind and Im certainly not naive at 54 I seen a bit of life both here and overseas where attitudes are both severe and relaxed towards drinking, my point is there will be no grey areas, no migating bull shine, no wasted and protracted legal manure with solicitors and courts etc such as: I have only had one drink - I thought I was in the limit, he came from a bad home, I didnt mean to kill the child, mum and dad etc etc

Its simple NO drinking, and a set mandatory sentence with no exception who ever you are.

Alan

Hi

No it will never stop drunken drivers or burglers or any criminal kind and Im certainly not naive at 54 I seen a bit of life both here and overseas where attitudes are both severe and relaxed towards drinking, my point is there will be no grey areas, no migating bull shine, no wasted and protracted legal manure with solicitors and courts etc such as: I have only had one drink - I thought I was in the limit, he came from a bad home, I didnt mean to kill the child, mum and dad etc etc

Its simple NO drinking, and a set mandatory sentence with no exception who ever you are.

Alan

I learnt my lesson years ago when I was young and neive...lucky that I only kerbed my car but I said from then never again...

I use to get pulled alot when I was driving home from work at 4/5am and I did not mind..record was 14 times in 14 days over Xmas...but if it instills the message then I dont mind the hassle at all...

As to a 0 limit I would disagree as it would ruin alot of businesses.

Hi

Alan

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Alan :)