ONE SHOT AND THE'RE OFF!

point and shoot

We've all had it - watched the woodies - know where they are feeding/have been feeding for a few days - set up and BANG! - all birds gone and clear skies for the rest of the day.

Apart from the inevitable smartxxxx answers we shall get , does any one have any suggestions or methods that they have found to work?

welcome to winter Pigeon shooting .

More guns on other fields help, banger ropes on fields and in woods to keep them moving ,though that may not be possible during the game season , short sessions with a early start may help so as you get a few as they come out from roosts.

A good blow away from the direction they are coming also helps to a degree.

Last year I drove into the neighbouring OSR fields and put flags up before shooting on the field I had chosen to shoot for the day, but it only had limited success. The best sport was on really windy days. If it was still I hardly had a shot in hours afer the first half hour or so. The only real option is to try and co-ordinate neighbouring guns to shoot on the same day. That however can range from difficult to impossible.

My best suggestion is to pick windy days and forget still ones.

Winter pigeon can be the most frustrating gun sport of all, as posted loads of pigeon feeding and one shot: they're gone. So many cafes to choose from they dont need the hassle of someone shooting at them, just up and away to the next rape field, or perhaps a quarter mile away. Yet there are times when pigeon do respond, a friend of mine shot his first 100 from a field which was all but picked bare. I think being beside a known flight line helps, at least the birds are getting a look at the decoys, as an earlier post lots of Guns out is a great help to keep the birds moving. Also a nice steady wind around 15mph helps to carry the sound of shots away.

Good luck with it anyway

Blackpowder

You need to be selective at this time of year . Flat calm is no good as your shots will carry and the birds are more likely to be sitting up trees all day. Afternoons are your best chance , walk the birds of the field and don't fire a shot until you have done this. If you have some woods that are not for game shooting , then roosting could be an option , if its windy.

You need to be selective at this time of year . Flat calm is no good as your shots will carry and the birds are more likely to be sitting up trees all day. Afternoons are your best chance , walk the birds of the field and don't fire a shot until you have done this. If you have some woods that are not for game shooting , then roosting could be an option , if its windy.

Totally disagree. I believe first light is the best time at this time of year. If you choose the afternoon, there's a good chance the pigeons will have had enough food and don't need to return.They are hungry first thing in the morning and it's possible to shoot the birds before they turn into a flock for the day, providing they haven't turned up en masse.

To the OP, i would suggest if it's one shot and they're off, then you haven't enough pigeon traffic to that field.

• 3 weeks later...