what cheap shooting jacket?

spiderlegs

im looking for a new shooting jacket or smock for hopefully no more than £120 but could spend more for the right one. what would people recommend? jack pyke stuff looks good and reasonably priced? im leaning more towards the camo rather than tweed type as tweed doesnt seem very practical, and most are alot more than £120? thanks alot for the help.

Have a look round the charity shops, you will be surprised what you can find.

A few years ago I found a lovely tweed shooting coat, as good as my old Husky, waterproof, hardly used and fitted perfectly. Its previous owner had also taught it to shoot far better than me, oh the cost, at £8 I did not haggle !!., I would have expected to pay in excess of £300 in a shop. Regretably they did not have a set of breeks to match !!, I suspect they threw those away before getting them into the shop.

A

I doubt ill never get another Jack Pyke jacket.

I have had one and it lost its water-proofness after one year, and when i contacted JP they weren't exactly helpful Saying that as the waterproof membrane would still be intact, it would just need re-proofing.

When i asked why it should need re-proofing if there was a waterproof membrane still intact i didn't get a response.

Seeland have a very good write up at present though i have yet to try one.

I can recommend all of the Deerhunter range, i have the Ram, and after 4 years of abuse its still as functional(water/wind proof) as when it left the factory.

Edited by Beretta28g

Another vote for anything in the Deerhunter range. There are some good bargains on flea bay especially at this time of year. I recently bought a Deerhunter Ram jacket for £95 which, when it arrived, was patently a second. After a brief email conversation the vendor refunded me £40 so a new jacket, admittedly with two small non functional zips only cost me £40!

old tatty Barbour (bedale)of ebay the older the better.I wasted money on a Jack pike camo, the ones that are supposed to be breathable, load of rubbish the stuff in the arms & around the soulders makes you swet & when you take it off your soaked. Tatty old Barbour & tin of wax & a decent set of thermals.