getting a good fix in plaster board !

Salop Matt

Now this may sound simple but still on this occasion i failed !

I mounted a coat rail inder our stairs last month with 4 hooks on, i used plaster board rawl plugs and did a tidy job but now with the weight of only 6 coats the darn thing is pulling off the wall ! :blush::angry:

So now i need to re-mount it ! any recomendations on what i should do different second time around ?

4 screws insed of 2 ? expanding foam behind the plasterboard to strengthen it ?

Cheers

Matt :good:

spring toggle fixings mate, they push through a small hole and spring out so cannon come back, were the fixings you used a metal type screw with very coarce thred that another screw goes into? if not they are worth a go, either that or try and find a stud to fix to, there is also a product called stix-all if you put a few lines of tha behind it that will also help. iv learnt allways throw the fixing kit that comes with things like that away as its usaully pants!

Butterfly bolts are a spring loaded clip that is designed to push through plasterboard then as you tighten they expand behind the board . Put as many secure fixings in as you can as they tend to help each other out by spreading the load

Ideally, For anything that will have to hold substantial weight you should try to find wood. Either a post/dwang or such like. Otherwise you will have to continue to re-fix something like this over and over again. What Stokie has said is probably the best solution for plasterboard fixings, so even if you can get one side in wood one side fixed as above, this wood(see what I did?! :blush: ) be much better :good:

Ideally, For anything that will have to hold substantial weight you should try to find wood. Either a post/dwang or such like. Otherwise you will have to continue to re-fix something like this over and over again. What Stokie has said is probably the best solution for plasterboard fixings, so even if you can get one side in wood one side fixed as above, this wood(see what I did?! :blush: ) be much better :good:

that's what I would do. fit a patress which can be screwed back to the stud.

If its studwork then a toggle fixing would be best....If the plasterboard is dabbed onto a soild block or lightweight block wall ( which it might be in a staircase area/Loadbearing) best to use a fischer long hammer in fixing through the coat rail, plasterboard, the cavity behind the board, which is usually 15-20mm and then into the blockwork. If your fixing a 15mm thick rail you will need a fixing 100mm long. Done properly they wont come out. You can get them at al good DIY stores.

Bloody Drylining is a PITA :yes:

http://apps.fischer.de/poc/default.aspx?page=layer&sprache=EN&kat=$MART-HK-$MKAT-HK-$MPG-G2&ekat=$EKAT-HK-EN&path=$MART-HK-$MKAT-HK-$MPG-G7&path=$MART-HK-$MKAT-HK-$MPG-G2

Hack the lining section (Say 6 inch square ) away and replace it with something more solid (plywood sections)fixed to the wall built up to approx the same height as the finished board. Poly skim over it if finish is important. Then screw to that . I used to use a 120mm hole drill and then use the same drill to cut some ply pieces..fix these to the wall and even some cheap filler can do a tidy job of blending it in.

Butterfly/toggle fixings will spread weight a bit,just remember the more you put in the weaker it gets as you are making holes/removing plasterboard each time you screw another in because the holes are so close together on a clothes rail.

As others have said,it would be better to put a nogging in behind the p/board and screw to this or a par bearer ontop of p/board :good: