allotment

jimbo1

hi guys,

a few people on the allotment plot im on keep chickens which are drawing the attention of an urban fox(vixen)with three legs.

the plot is surrounded by housing so shooting it, i would think, is a no no because of the proximity of the housing.

any ideas on what we can do to get rid of it?? can they be trapped?? apologies for silly questions chaps im a bit of newbie when it comes to things like this.

regards

james

hi guys,

a few people on the allotment plot im on keep chickens which are drawing the attention of an urban fox(vixen)with three legs.

the plot is surrounded by housing so shooting it, i would think, is a no no because of the proximity of the housing.

any ideas on what we can do to get rid of it?? can they be trapped?? apologies for silly questions chaps im a bit of newbie when it comes to things like this.

regards

james

Yep totaly argee with the comments, cage traps are around £100.

Place it down near the chicken pen so the fox can get to it easily.

Ensure the ground of the cage is covered with loose earth etc so it feels natural under foot.

Wear gloves and bate up (Chicken,dead birds etc)

It will probably take up to a month before the cage catches anything as the fox will need to get use to it and the new smell. It will weather in time and the fox will become more confident.

Caught three last year doing exactly the same.

Edited by Anth6568

hi guys,

regards

james

First thing to consider, is it a council allotment or a private one. If council you will probably find dealing with a fox problem tricky as you most certainly wont be allowed to shoot it on site and I cant see snairing it being allowed either. :good:

12gauge subsonic hushpower if you want to shoot it on the spot, in the cage.

but that can have its own issues.

as steve b wales said.

On one of my shoots last year, I covered about 600 acre in a very sensitive area.

I used the cage trap in some areas as I mentioned on my other post. I also used a 12g hushpower with home loaded subsonic ammo. I used to watch all the fox routes then sit up a tree and wait for them. Had 3 foxes with the cage trap and three by shooting them with the hushpower last year.

You need to keep the range down and use BB shot.

Edited by Anth6568

First thing to consider, is it a council allotment or a private one. If council you will probably find dealing with a fox problem tricky as you most certainly wont be allowed to shoot it on site and I cant see snairing it being allowed either. :good:

Most allotments are Parish Council. I got asked to despatch two foxes that had been trapped on my father inlaws allotment by the allotment committee as the local council wouldn’t touch them. :angry:

more replies.....thanks gents. :good: just to confirm this is a council allotment and as was mentioned by cooter i dont think the council want to deal with it...ill have to confirm this with secretary of course...but pretty sure they arent bothered about the fox. i think trap and removal for humane dispatch may be the way to go.

cheers chaps

james

more replies.....thanks gents. :good: just to confirm this is a council allotment and as was mentioned by cooter i dont think the council want to deal with it...ill have to confirm this with secretary of course...but pretty sure they arent bothered about the fox. i think trap and removal for humane dispatch may be the way to go.

cheers chaps

james

If they're as obstructive and unhelpful as the allotment gestapo woman at my local borough council then you'll find you're on a hiding to nothing :angry::angry:

ok quick update......apparently the plot is not council owned but owned by the local allotment association outright....least the council are now out of the picture.

Good news then, it's all down to the committee.

One of my buddies shoots the vermin on his allotment, which is parish owned and run, as they asked him to do it.

He puts up signs on the gate when he is shooting to warn other users. Still get the occasional daft one that ignores it and wanders in though. :rolleyes:

I'd say that a trap would be ideal in that situation. It could be put under a cover of some sort next to a shed so it's not obvious and will work in time. If the Fox is limited in ability by an injury then nine times out of ten it will be much easier to catch because it will be hungry.

Depending on your budget/ability you could make a trap. I made mine from weld mesh from the local scrappy for about a tenner. It took most of a day to make it but it works perfectly. I've even seen things knocked up from old pallets before that have done the trick. :good:

One has to accept the background malarkey is sorted and you can do whatever is required.

So, get in a professional who will deal with it in quick order (see my ad under Fox Control in Yell.com :D:D )

Be advised that a snare is not going to win you any friends and may well be difficult to site in these circumstances, and you will need to check it twice daily (or more) ideally!

Traps are fine and you will have no problems with your fingers on any half decent trap, and you can pick it up, take it away and dispatch the fox wherever you want.

The problem you will find is getting the fox in the trap, consider bait and location, again you will have to check it daily, preferably twice daily, and you are most likely to catch fox cubs, cats, badgers, squirrel, pigeon, whatever, ADULT foxes are not stupid and on the whole don't just walk in (unless they are sick or injured or desperate), even for a free meal staring them in the face!

Many think fox catching/trapping/removal is easy, it isn't, sometimes people get lucky, but they commonly spend a lot and get nowhere.

Give it a go by all means, and good luck, but you may need to consider another option later!!

ATB!

Many think fox catching/trapping/removal is easy, it isn't, sometimes people get lucky, but they commonly spend a lot and get nowhere.

I agree. A Fox that's been perhaps caught in a poor quality trap before or caught and released will be almost impossible to trap! They will still go in though if you do it right. You need to make sure the bottom is covered (I prefer buried) and that the trap doesn't stink of humans! If they step on weldmesh or smell you then you can just about forget it usually! My trap lives on the shed roof when not in use and when I do move it I wear gloves that are also left in the garden (so wet, soggy and generally smelly to me yet normal to a Fox).

Even then you may find that it takes them a few weeks to get used to it. I don't even bother to bait them at first, rather just leave a bunny in the rough location every now and again. If they relate the smell of the bait to the smell of you on the trap there's a good chance they may not even go in there once your scent has faded.

When trapping against a chicken run try putting the trap in the run, wiring the open end to the fence and cutting a small hole in the run for them to get through (into the trap). If you do that be sure to wire the trap to the fence, just in case for any reason the Fox knocks the trap when it springs but isn't caught. If it wasn't wired on that would then leave a hole for him to pick up a takeaway before leaving!

I should add that I've caught some pretty smart country Foxes this way. Just don't keep going back to the trap to check it - check it with binoculars from a distance if the trap isn't set where the Fox is used to smelling people. Just walking up to it regularly will create a scent that they will be alert to. :good: