advice on a new watch.

dan browning gts

Nial there is nothing saying you need to send it to Omega mate! Find a reputable watch maker close to you and I bet he is less than half that price to service it! I made the mistake of sending a Rolex to them for service and the clowns took 12 weeks to do the service! thats just stupid in my opinion and I never used them again! Breitling were slightly better but still took several weeks.

You are spot on regards accuracy though! no mechanical watch will perfom better than a quartz movement!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go with an Omega PO they use the 2500 movement which has a life span of 10 years between services…..makes it a lot cheaper only having to get a service every decade, plus I've got an Omega dealer in town or could always go to the Trafford centre and have it done there at the Omega outlet

I am surprised that you even mentioned Seiko with the budget you have but whatever you do, dont buy a Seiko automatic.

I bought my last one as a general everyday watch that I could wear when working on the car etc.

They are rubbish and won't last long before they go wrong- I have had 2 (30 years apart)and 2 of my sons have one each. All 4 have gone wrong.

Seiko UK don't give a toss once it is out of warranty and quoted me 86% of the price I paid for the watch to "service" it.

My 2 Breitlings and my Tag are very reliable.

You get what you pay for.

1st thing to take on board is to ignore the advice about your watch being worth X amout more in X years! The reality when spending 2k is that you will be buying into a mid range watch (not being a smart *** because I appreciate that 2k is a LOT of money to be spending)so you are VERY unlikely to make any money on the watch you buy. Advice such as "I paid 2k for my watch 5 years ago and that same watch now costs 2.7k so my watch has gone up in value" are total rubbish! The NEW watch is worth 2.7K but your now worn and scratched/chipped etc 2nd hand watch will have most likely dropped to around the 1.5k mark. So bottom line here is you are not buying for investment purposes :)

Ok now thats out the way, you then need to decide a few things;

1. Automatic or Quartz? If its accuracy you want then there is only one choice which is quartz. That said I would never pay 2k on a quartz movement watch, thats a personal thing but for that sort of money I want a decent mechanical movement that will last me a life time and will be good to pass on to my Son. A good mechanical watch will be plenty accurate for 99%

2. Fashion brand or known name? obviously the fashionable today maynot be in a few years. but the way I look at it is if you like the watch and think you will in years to come go for it! Who cares if Bell & Ross stop being fashionable if you still love the watch!

3. Multi function watch or simply to tell the time? Stopwatch and Chrono features are all great but if you aint going to use them you are paying extra for the functions (more so on a mechanical watch).

4. Some brands are heavily counterfeited! Does this bother you? Rolex/TAG/Omega are well copied and as a result loads of folks are wearing fakes that 90% of folks would think were genuine. This has personally put me of some particular watches but thats just me! A friend has recently managed to purchase a fake Panerai that he seems to think is an "Exact" copy of my genuine version! I pointed out several mistakes to him (not mentioning the **** movement, but thats a different story) but he's happy with it and he could have bought 100 copies for the price of my genuine version so who is the mug?? If this is an issue for you go for one of the less well known brands that as a result have less fakes kicking about!

Bottom line mate is there are hundreds/thousands of nice watches out there, you need to start looking and decide what you like and what you dont!

hope the above helps and if you need any advice drop me a PM :)

Ricky

Some of the Japanese auto movements used in the better Panerai replicas are in fact better than the real thing. :good: For £250 you can get a bloody good watch every bit as good as the P9000- 0002 movement.

If the OP has 2 K to spend then I would invest 1200 - 1500 and get something with a superior japanese movement...Like Ive said many times before the Japs take something and make a better copy of it... A High end Seiko or even a Citizen ecodrive would last a life time.

And as you rightly say a top end Marque is not necessarily a sound investment

Interestingly I had a highly radioactive Luminor originally from a Italian POW submariner go through my hands in 1997 for £1400... It was one commisioned for the Italian Navy form officine panerai in 1945. It had a Rolex movement and was in one hell of a state. Restored the watch has just been sold to a Italian collector or £32,000 . An identical model was featured on Antiques Road about 5 years ago.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I am surprised that you even mentioned Seiko with the budget you have but whatever you do, dont buy a Seiko automatic.

I bought my last one as a general everyday watch that I could wear when working on the car etc.

They are rubbish and won't last long before they go wrong- I have had 2 (30 years apart)and 2 of my sons have one each. All 4 have gone wrong.

Seiko UK don't give a toss once it is out of warranty and quoted me 86% of the price I paid for the watch to "service" it.

My 2 Breitlings and my Tag are very reliable.

You get what you pay for.

There's Seiko, and then there's Grand Seiko. If any of those take your fancy then have a look on the Jura website to see how much you can expect to lay out for one.

Ive got a Raymond Weil Freelancer Automatic, very very nice watch handmade in Switzerland. You can see all the internal workings through the fae and I always get a lot of comments on it. Nice and heavy, blingy and classy, but not too chavvy. I would highly reccomend them. Looked at Breitling, Tag Heur and Omega when I was looking to buy.

Edited by 12borejimbo

Ive got a Raymond Weil Freelancer Automatic, very very nice watch handmade in Switzerland. You can see all the internal workings through the fae and I always get a lot of comments on it. Nice and heavy, blingy and classy, but not too chavvy. I would highly reccomend them. Looked at Breitling, Tag Heur and Omega when I was looking to buy.

Lovely time piece..I have a couple of Weils in my collection, both vintage picked up for a song...Quite my favorite Suisse manufacturer...understated yet very classy. :yes:

Lovely time piece..I have a couple of Weils in my collection, both vintage picked up for a song...Quite my favorite Suisse manufacturer...understated yet very classy. :yes:

How do you go about getting vintage watches cheaply? I would love to buy and sell but never know where to aquire. It amazes me how these dealers get so much stock.

How do you go about getting vintage watches cheaply? I would love to buy and sell but never know where to aquire. It amazes me how these dealers get so much stock.

When I started collecting I used to scour flea markets, junk shops, jumble sales, bric a brac stalls at fetes etc etc. sadly Ebay and Antiques roadshow has killed off the chances of finding a undervalued or sleepy bargain.

You can still pick up top vintage Marques in poor condition for sensible money, repair them ( or have them repaired) and sell them on for a profit ) Some dealers are also Horologists and watchmakers and can repair themselves.

Ebay.com and Eastern Europe still throws up the odd bargain. Ive only ever sold three watches from my collection of about 100. My father who started me on watch collecting has over 1500 in his including a couple of real crackers including a 1930 Breguet and a 1950 Cartier both bought for less than a slab of Cartridges!

Most of mine are jewelled mechanical movements which is really where the passion lies for me, they are just the best of human engineering on such a minute scale ( excuse the pun !) I have a few battery operated but as a previous poster said one quartz watch is much like another and they do nothing for me Im afraid.

I know some people might bulk at the thought of spending a lot of money on a wristwatch, but wouldnt think twice about spending the same amount on two cylinders of steel with a bit of wood on the end. The care and attention and precision which goes into making a mechanical watch movement is 10... ney 100 fold that of your silver or gold pigeon!

Heres a vintage Longines Im bidding on at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110803951047

If it goes for less than £120.....BARGAIN !

Edited by Fisherman Mike

When I started collecting I used to scour flea markets, junk shops, jumble sales, bric a brac stalls at fetes etc etc. sadly Ebay and Antiques roadshow has killed off the chances of finding a undervalued or sleepy bargain.

You can still pick up top vintage Marques in poor condition for sensible money, repair them ( or have them repaired) and sell them on for a profit ) Some dealers are also Horologists and watchmakers and can repair themselves.

Ebay.com and Eastern Europe still throws up the odd bargain. Ive only ever sold three watches from my collection of about 100. My father who started me on watch collecting has over 1500 in his including a couple of real crackers including a 1930 Breguet and a 1950 Cartier both bought for less than a slab of Cartridges!

Most of mine are jewelled mechanical movements which is really where the passion lies for me, they are just the best of human engineering on such a minute scale ( excuse the pun !) I have a few battery operated but as a previous poster said one quartz watch is much like another and they do nothing for me Im afraid.

I know some people might bulk at the thought of spending a lot of money on a wristwatch, but wouldnt think twice about spending the same amount on two cylinders of steel with a bit of wood on the end. The care and attention and precision which goes into making a mechanical watch movement is 10... ney 100 fold that of your silver or gold pigeon!

Heres a vintage Longines Im bidding on at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110803951047

If it goes for less than £120.....BARGAIN !

Good luck with it, it looks cool!

I had this on my watch items on Ebay - was there for quite a few months and listed again - I can't make up my mind if it's sold - if so why keep it up.

Was very tempted but if none of Breitling Forum members bought it it was probably way overpriced - I still like it though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110726989014&rvr_id=254536996092&clk_rvr_id=254536996092&mfe=sidebar&clk_rvr_id=308077700202

Make them a offer.

Dave

I had this on my watch items on Ebay - was there for quite a few months and listed again - I can't make up my mind if it's sold - if so why keep it up.

Was very tempted but if none of Breitling Forum members bought it it was probably way overpriced - I still like it though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110726989014&rvr_id=254536996092&clk_rvr_id=254536996092&mfe=sidebar&clk_rvr_id=308077700202

Make them a offer.

Dave

Im not convinced its genuine

FM, I have a seiko 21 jewel watch kicking about somewhere. My did got 2 whilst in Singapore in the 60's. It's a non runner in need of some tlc. Is it likley to be worth anything or worth the cost of restoring?

Is it an auto movement ? If so it might just need a good clean. Im afraid probably about £40 to get it cleaned... would have to look at a photo to see what type it is...

The Seiko 21 divers auto was very popular with American GI's during the Vietnam war who revered it for its outstanding durability..Japanese watches werent common in the US at this time.

They also introduced a Diashock dress watch in the 50,s & 60,s these in excellent order are quite collectable.