Ebay help ...

dodeer

Listed my car for sale on ebay...

2 mins later get a call from a foreign sounding chap desperate to buy it and will drive from 200 miles away to buy it now for cash.

I stupidly press the sold button and now am having thoughts about if im going to be conned by this bloke.

Should i just say no dont want to sell it and sorry go away or do i just sell it to him and take the cash to a bank before letting him drive it away? He is on about ebay laws and once sold he has to buy it etc etc.

Your thoughts pleae?

Should i just say no dont want to sell it and sorry go away or do i just sell it to him and take the cash to a bank before letting him drive it away? He is on about ebay laws and once sold he has to buy it etc etc.

The best thing to do if he wants to buy it is to drive him to your bank and make sure he pays the money into your account before you hand over any paper work also make sure you make out a recipt and give him a copy and keep one for yourself, sometimes it can just be that someone is looking for a car like yours but be carefull !!!!

eBay motors has special terms and conditions and bids are not binding...I am not sure on the position of a seller once a buy it now has been accepted. I would contact eBay to confirm your position but if you ended the listing in response to his offer of cash, rather than him clicking "buy it now", then you might well be in breach of eBay T&C's. Go careful.

Anyway...

I have heard of a scam where people call and claim to be seriously interested, usually they offer the asking price in full, in cash, plus an additional sum (may be requested further into the negotiations).

What they do is, either offer you more than the vehicle is worth (for some random reason, it varies) and/or agree to the asking price immediately.

In the latter case, they will offer a money order or similar (because physical cash is risky for the buyer, they could say). The money order/transfer will clear and be shown as such if you ask your bank. Of course they "accidentally" overpay and ask you to wire the difference back to them, usually via Western Union. The money they originally sent was "stolen" from a third party and will be reversed by the bank, leaving you out of pocket for the difference you sent back, not to mention leaving you without a car....

Basically, be very wary if he seems overly eager to purchase and is more interesting in doing the deal quickly rather than the history of the vehicle and its condition. I would tread very carefully with this one. Remember that good feedback can be faked, eBay accounts can be hijacked and bank transfers can be reversed. Cleared funds can be removed from your account if it later transpires they were the proceeds of a fraud, this includes payments received via Paypal (they can also freeze your Paypal account and debit from your linked bank account as they see fit....yes, they really can).

Not wanting to scare you but it really pays to be careful in situations like this. The above is a very common scam.

That said, I did once have a buyer come from Devon all the way up to Wakefield, Yorkshire to collect a Renault Clio. Basically because it was so much cheaper up here than down south, he did negotiate though. He brought cash and I had a note inspection light thingy ready plus I took a note of his driving licence number. Legit buyers will have no problem with this sort of thing I'd suggest.

Is the car rare, valuable or special in any way? Is your asking price low or in line with other sellers?

It wouldnt hurt for you to contact some other sellers of the same make/model on ebay with around the same asking price and just ask if they had experienced anything similar. If it is a scammer, he will have contacted more than just yourself.

Edited by notsosureshot

with a vehicle only accept cash or a cheque,but don't let them have the vehicle or the docs untill the cheque has cleared.

A cleared cheque can be reversed mate, it happened to me once with a laptop. They used stolen bank account details so the money disappeared back to the victims account and I lost the laptop aswell :S

It was a combination scam of mail fraud, something Im not going to publically talk about and identity theft.

PS. Nice collection of guns...

Edited by notsosureshot

I Have sold numerous vehicles on Ebay and always insisted on cash.

Only exception to the cash only rule was. I sold a Audi Quattro i owned, i had it advertised as a buy it now on Ebay. I took it to their house which was only 3 miles from where I lived they loved it hit the buy it now and paid for it via paypal all while I was still at their house I went onto my account checked it out it went thru in a few minutes they gave me a lift home and all was done and dusted no problems.

I sold my M3 to a guy from Holland who paid the fuel for me to deliver it to Harwich dock 200 mile round trip, where i met him and he paid me nice crisp notes but was short £100 cost for the fuel we agreed on so he gave me it in euro’s which i didn’t find a problem. With the exchange rates i actually came off better.

Then when i sold my Toyota Supra a guy from Germany brought it and he came over to Hull on the ferry and got a taxi to my house that’s over 200miles...., paid the full amount in cash and drove it all the way back to Germany. He actually followed the taxi driver from my house back to Hull.. Not sure what the total distance that would have been from Germany to my house and back. Got an email from him thanking me for being honest and how good the car was...

Pajero i owned also sold on Ebay. No problems guy came paid cash and went on his way.

So i would have no problem with anyone buying anything off me but i always insist on cash.

Just make sure that you fill all the paper work in correctly.

Good luck

Darren

A cheque you think will take 5 days to clear..fraid not allow up to 15 min before you know its safe. We had a customers cheque bounce and be rtn to me after 14 days ..bank said there is now no real clearing period for cheques..basically if its good all is OK if its hooky then you will loose the funds eventually..maybe even weeks after the sale. Cash ..pay it into your bank first...let them tell you if its legit money. Tell him this is what you want to do and if he turns up after banking hours be even more suspicious.

Probably what will happen is what happened to me...a fat African chap turned up (called Nigel :oops: ) ..with good cash ...then offered me £900 for a car he agreed £1500 on....I told him to %^$£ off , but he had a few to look at in the area so all he was doing is securing the visit and first offer by saying he will have it..if you are desperate you may well take his stupid low offer

Edited by PWD

If its the right car for him then he will sound keen, i would only accept cash for it and take some details of the person you are selling it to.

I would not be worried about the 200 miles i would travel that for a car or similar. I had someone drive from spain to pick my old caravan up, he said it was cheaper to do that than buy one in spain, it was a right hooker which was even better for him.

Edited by ferguson_tom

i sold my freelander on ebay,polish fella,loads of foreingers rang and asked me to take itoff listing and would pay asking price,i thought like you,so let it run a few days,then one polish fella offered me more than i wanted so said yes,he travelled over 200 miles ,payed cash,left me with car and said someone would pick it up in a few days.they were exporting them to poland cos their making good money there,money was fine,fella was nice,a bit hard to fathom out but deal went brill,my freelander is now in poland,i did ok out of deal,and he must be too,all happy. :good:

CASH !!!! ONLY !!!

go with him to the bank and pay it in, if you have cancelled the auction it is a private sale and nothing to with ebay, people will travel 100's of miles to buy cars ive had them come on a bus from ireland a ferry from norway even fly from poland so wouldnt worry about it. poles, latvians, lithuanians good to deal with, asains are hard work but if they try and barter you down what is last price just add 100 quid on they soon get the message.

message me if you need anything else it what i do for a living

Listed my car for sale on ebay...

2 mins later get a call from a foreign sounding chap desperate to buy it and will drive from 200 miles away to buy it now for cash.

I stupidly press the sold button and now am having thoughts about if im going to be conned by this bloke.

Your thoughts pleae?

he should not offer to buy out side of ebay, if he wants it he has to bid or take it at a buy now price.

If your that worried, cancel the sale, he'll log a case with Ebay.

Worst case scenario, you get bad feedback. (No big deal)

Once you trade outside of Ebay you leave yourself exposed, but hey, it's your vehicle. Don't be intimidated by threats of Ebay legal rights, they very rarely enforce.(IME)

he should not offer to buy out side of ebay, if he wants it he has to bid or take it at a buy now price.

don't be so honest ebay don't need the money when selling vehicles on there I've always sold them outside of the auction and saved the selling fees. As a seller if the buyer pays cash you have nothing to loose just gain on the selling fees