Heating Oil Tank Location

rover

We will at some point finish our central heating system, and we will need to buy and site an oil tank. I guess it will be one of the plastic double skinned ones (is that 'bunded'?) but guess there are rules on the siting of it? Are there rules about how close to the house or a boundary or the road it can go? Are there any specific requirements for the concrete base we will lay for it to sit on? Anything else to watch for?? Thanks in advance!!

There is a specified distance from your boundary, also distance from your house walls, as stated see Oftec site. The last one I put in a few years ago now had to have a base extending 300mm all round the tank,but this could have been a local authority requirement.

Remember and get a padlock if one is not supplied. Yes a double skin tank is ,bunded'.

Blackpowder

get one with the longest possible warranty available, site it EXACTLY as per the rules/instructions. Keep ALL warranty info etc.

I have had 3 plastic tanks on the farm split and a 4th warpped badly.

2 were balmoral tanks, I'd give them a wide birth if I was you. They tried/did get out of their warranty commitments.

I had the tanks FULLY supported, but on slippers. They claimed this caused the splitting, which is utter rubbish. Wood was not recommened so warranty invalid.

Also they had a 10year warranty on them. Since there was 2 years left on the warranty when they split, they said they would only pay for 1/5 of a new tank.

Anyway I get the impression that these plastic tanks can't take UV radiation for any period of time. So they need to be in the shade, at the very least, if not undercover.

They say there UV stable, but don't believe them, their liars.

Has to be sited where the company who will fill it can see the tank as well as operate the tanker at the same time u cnt put them out of site been a wile seen I fitted 1 so cnt tell u the distance away from the house I will check up in the oftec book and get back to you

get one with the longest possible warranty available, site it EXACTLY as per the rules/instructions. Keep ALL warranty info etc.

I have had 3 plastic tanks on the farm split and a 4th warpped badly.

2 were balmoral tanks, I'd give them a wide birth if I was you. They tried/did get out of their warranty commitments.

I had the tanks FULLY supported, but on slippers. They claimed this caused the splitting, which is utter rubbish. Wood was not recommened so warranty invalid.

Also they had a 10year warranty on them. Since there was 2 years left on the warranty when they split, they said they would only pay for 1/5 of a new tank.

Anyway I get the impression that these plastic tanks can't take UV radiation for any period of time. So they need to be in the shade, at the very least, if not undercover.

They say there UV stable, but don't believe them, their liars.

This is very very good advice - we had 2 x Balmoral 5000 litre tanks - one split a after 4/5 years so well within warranty - they wriggled out of it 100% - what is the point of a gurantee? I would concur on keeping tanks out of sight and if possible secure and locked up -also out of direct sunlight....

we had 2 x Balmoral 5000 litre tanks - one split a after 4/5 years so well within warranty - they wriggled out of it 100% - what is the point of a gurantee? I would concur on keeping tanks out of sight and if possible secure and locked up -also out of direct sunlight....

Sorry to hear you had problems also. Sympathies etc.

These plastic tanks aren't what their hyped up to be.

Be warned.

Although some do seem to do better than others.

I think the direct sunlight is the issue.

Funnily enough I work for an oil company that has a depot in Norfolk. We give FREE estimates and advise (really!) If you give the depot a call Joey our tank man will call around and fill in a site appraisal. The tank makers can be REALLY funny if you have a warranty issue and it is not installed by a registered engineer. There are big differences in plastic tanks in terms of warranty offered (and stood by). I personally would buy a metal tank and look after it properly making sure that I can paint all around the tank at least every three years (make sure you spec one with a lockable drain valve as it is the condensation gathering at the bottom of a tank that will rot it from inside)Plastic tanks do not offer this so you have to suck the water out after a peiod of time.

It doesn't matter where you site it if it isn't in a locked building the theives will get the product if they want to, drilling holes is the norm these days with a transit and suction pump. (LPG is really expensive and you will be contracted to a supplier; I would say that however as I am an Oil Man!!)

If you want us to take a look give us a call the company is called RIX PETROLEUM, tell them Rory put you on to them (I am the director) and ask for Joey. I started the business in Norfolk from my bedroom with Joey, he is a top bloke!

Good Luck, any problem drop me a PM. (we sell the oil to go in it as well by the way!1)

Cheers

Rory

Has to be sited where the company who will fill it can see the tank as well as operate the tanker at the same time u cnt put them out of site been a wile seen I fitted 1 so cnt tell u the distance away from the house I will check up in the oftec book and get back to you

Does that apply to oil now as well, it used to be the regulation for LPG?

Blackpowder

My 2500lt tank is at top of garden - the Tanker hose is just long enough to fill it - You can't see tank from road but they have never refused to fill it - My garden has a field at back so it is a worry - I have covered tank with a plastic camo sheet mainly to keep sun off but it also makes tank blend in a bit better - With space and time I would certainly get brick building put up around it. - A shed is illegal as you need 700mm from tank any combustable material and base must be 300mm bigger than tank all round.

Dave

Being able to see the tanker from the tank side is a grey area, OFTEC can only give guidance on this it is down to ADR regs, VOSA and the great HSE. Our tankers now mostley have remote control so the driver can operate the pumping and metering system from the tank side, the issue comes when a scroat appears at tanker when you are 150 yards away!!

If we declined to deliver when we couldn't see the tanker we would very quickly find ourselves with no domestic work. Most tanker hoses are at least 150 foot long so there is some lattitude for siting a tank, just be careful that you don't tie yourself to a particular company that has an extra long hose/ baby tanker as you will end up having your leg lifted. We have around 90 tankers delivering and very few deliveries come back due to tank location.

We supply the oil delivery hoses to a big national company and the usual length of hose on a tanker is 54m, we sometimes have requirements for 60m. As mentioned above dont put it too far away as will be tied in to one company that can deliver further than that.

Also I am pretty sure the hose cant go through your house any more, as if it burst the clean up bill is pretty horrendous.

Edited by ferguson_tom

We had ours fitted before Christmas. They said I could not have it at the front of the property , so it went in the back garden 3 metres from the house with a concrete foundation, and a wall to protect the neighbours garden... New regulations were cited!!