Sir Fred

la bala

Sir Fred the shred is Mister instead :good:

The best bit of news in a long time - Mister Goodwin - it has a nice ring - plus the news that Hester has been shamed into giving up his million [sorry 960 odd thousand] pound bonus.

Pressure on the bankers can work - let us keep it up!

At least no banker is now likely to get a knighthood for a very very long time...... :good:

The best bit of news in a long time - Mister Goodwin - it has a nice ring - plus the news that Hester has been shamed into giving up his million [sorry 960 odd thousand] pound bonus.

Pressure on the bankers can work - let us keep it up!

At least no banker is now likely to get a knighthood for a very very long time...... :good:

Goodwin was a complete ****. A nasty piece of work. Hester is actually a decent bloke and is doing a good job. I doubt he was shamed into giving it up. More likely Cameron made some promises in order to take the heat off if him.

Goodwin was a complete ****. A nasty piece of work. Hester is actually a decent bloke and is doing a good job. I doubt he was shamed into giving it up. More likely Cameron made some promises in order to take the heat off if him.

Should have never got it in my book. Knighthoods should be for people that have helped poeple in need/acheived something great for the country etc not excellence in banking or whatever tosh it was.

I think the way SH has been treated is really bad, he has been hired to sort it all out not take a load of grief for what is in market terms a modest basic pay package. i don't know why he hasn't walked out and gone across the road for more money and less hassle.

AVB- Are you OK in the latest round of cuts, i haven't been on here much recently?

Goodwin didn't ask for a knighthood. The system is so corrupt they offered him one without checking whether his claims were justified. It happens in other walks of life. Senior police officers pass promotion boards based on what they claim are successes with no actual checks to prove or disprove their claims. The whole system is corrupt.

That said, I think it is disgraceful that Stephen Hester has been hounded out of taking a bonus by two groups of people who are corrupt beyond belief; Labour politicians and journalist. Look at the expenses claims scandal and the current News International investigation.

Labour under Brown, Darling, Balls and the Millibands agreed Hester's contract and approved the bonus scheme. That is what attracted a quality candidate to the post. Now they have renaged on it just to court short term political approval, and spineless Cameron has let them get away with it. You can't blame Hester for achieving his targets and if he now, as is likely, walks away from the job, RBS will be in deep poo. No one with any sense will want the job.

The way he has been treated by the media including the BBC is disgraceful.

Edited by UKPoacher

Goodwin didn't ask for a knighthood. The system is so corrupt they offered him one without checking whether his claims were justified. It happens in other walks of life. Senior police officers pass promotion boards based on what they claim are successes with no actual checks to prove or disprove their claims. The whole system is corrupt.

That said, I think it is disgraceful that Stephen Hester has been hounded out of taking a bonus by two groups of people who are corrupt beyond belief; Labour politicians and journalist. Look at the expenses claims scandal and the current News International investigation.

Labour under Brown, Darling, Balls and the Millibands agreed Hester's contract and approved the bonus scheme. That is what attracted a quality candidate to the post. Now they have renaged on it just to court short term political approval, and spineless Cameron has let them get away with it. You can't blame Hester for achieving his targets and if he now, as is likely, walks away from the job, RBS will be in deep poo. No one with any sense will want the job.

Agree entirely.

:yes::yes: Saved me saying it! :good::good:

Agree entirely.

Sir Fred the shred is Mister instead :good:

I wonder whether Fred is that bothered. He will still be massively rich in the morning. In a way the people that have stripped his knighthood have come out looking small and churlish themselves. Remember in the eyes of the law he has committed no crime and knighthoods are only normally taken away for criminal activity.

Should have never got it in my book. Knighthoods should be for people that have helped poeple in need/acheived something great for the country etc not excellence in banking or whatever tosh it was.

I think the way SH has been treated is really bad, he has been hired to sort it all out not take a load of grief for what is in market terms a modest basic pay package. i don't know why he hasn't walked out and gone across the road for more money and less hassle.

AVB- Are you OK in the latest round of cuts, i haven't been on here much recently?

I am all right at the moment thanks but mainly because I am in the hell hole called India. Not sure what I will come back to in September as there is not a lot left in London! What about you? It seems that GBM is taking the heat at the moment. We have now been renamed MIB (Markets and International Banking). Stupid name. What next? Dark glasses and Dark suits.

I was speaking to Hester a couple of months ago about being in the media spotlight and to be honest he was worn down by it. I am surprised that he didn't walk, not because he is a prima dona throwing his toys out of his pram over the 'bonus', but because he is just doesn't need he grief.

AVB I cant believe your last words "because he is just doesn't need he grief" who the heck takes on the RBS role and doesnt expect grief to come with the title? His predecesor was the most hated man in the UK not so long ago so him taking the job was never going to be a walk in the park! If he didnt want any grief he should have applied for a job in burger king!! (no offence meant to burger king employees)

I hope he does well with RBS as I have a lot of cash tied up in shares!

AVB I cant believe your last words "because he is just doesn't need he grief" who the heck takes on the RBS role and doesnt expect grief to come with the title? His predecesor was the most hated man in the UK not so long ago so him taking the job was never going to be a walk in the park! If he didnt want any grief he should have applied for a job in burger king!! (no offence meant to burger king employees)

I hope he does well with RBS as I have a lot of cash tied up in shares!

He knew it wasn't a walk in the park but let's remember he didn't apply for the job. He was asked to do it by the Government (a lot of people turned it down) with a compensation package depending on meeting certain performance criteria. He has met those criteria to date. The goalposts are being moved massively. The Government are meant to be managing RBS on an 'arms length' basis through UKFI. They are not and ministers are getting involved.

I am not expecting him to get an easy ride and I know he doesn't expect one all I am saying is he is, imho, getting more grief than he deserves and I am surprised he hasn't jacked it in.

Spot on :good:

I have to agree, using an apparently skilled executive as an opportunity for political point scoring is pathetic. Politicians do this sort of thing constantly and it makes me sick. Anyone with half a brain can see it for what it is.

I honestly feel sorry for Hester in some respects. Punished and derided for being good at what he does. People just see a figure of £1m, become jealous and hate him for it without any consideration being given as to why he is highly paid. The same people then turn on the television and watch a premiership football match which consists of 22 multi millionaires kicking a ball. If the BBC screen such games, the players are also benefitting from the tax payer but nobody seems to make the connection.

The fact is, to run a bank requires many years of experience and knowledge, not to mention intelligence. City salaries are high, people just are not generally aware that in banking £100k+ a year is chicken feed (for the sector), a junior broker with skill can pull that in easily. If he was doing a good job and is one of the best in his field at the highest level, would the tax payer not prefer to reward someone who is actively protecting their investment?

What is wrong with giving £1m to someone who is potentially able to make a much larger savings for the tax payer. Speculating, I would suggest his salary of £1.2m and bonus of £1m is a little on the low side relative to his peers.

As for Fred Goodwin, well, he is an example of a failure, whereas Hester has been rather successful it seems.