Price of Clays

Whitebridges

Fancied a bit of practice before the barley/wheat gets laid and nipped over to High Lodge shooting ground, Suffolk, for a few clays with a mate. I've shot a bit at High Lodge before and it has an excellent lay-out, friendly staff and great facilities. At 22p a bird I thought the price was very reasonable and good value for money. I'm not a member and I think members get a discount on practive clays as well as other benefits.

I would thoroughly recommend High Lodge and wondered if 22p was the going rate?

Fancied a bit of practice before the barley/wheat gets laid and nipped over to High Lodge shooting ground, Suffolk, for a few clays with a mate. I've shot a bit at High Lodge before and it has an excellent lay-out, friendly staff and facilities. At 22p a bird I thought the price was very reasonable and good value for money. I'm not a member and I think members get a discount on practive clays as well as other benefits.

I pay £9.50 for 60 birds at hardwick gun club, trimdon county durham. Thats only about 16p per clay! :blink: :yes::/ :unsure:

Good on you Bertie. I hope there isn't a price difference between the North and South? :blink:

It will be interesting to see what other PW members are paying. I should add the clays we had were from quite smart traps. They had a "plug in" counter and were fully automatic. Whether this should make any difference i'm not sure?

doveridge its 23p non members and 19p members.

sawley costs ?4.50 for a round of skeet and ?5.50 for 40 bird sporting.

I make the Sawley costs 18p a bird for skeet and 13.75p for Sporting. How come, I thought the clays were the same with the odd exception?

Anyone know what clays cost wholesale per unit?

Fancied a bit of practice before the barley/wheat gets laid and nipped over to High Lodge shooting ground, Suffolk, for a few clays with a mate. I've shot a bit at High Lodge before and it has an excellent lay-out, friendly staff and facilities. At 22p a bird I thought the price was very reasonable and good value for money. I'm not a member and I think members get a discount on practive clays as well as other benefits.

I pay £9.50 for 60 birds at hardwick gun club, trimdon county durham. Thats only about 16p per clay! :blink: :yes::/ :unsure:

These are set off by kids on old rickety traps, still get some good chalenging stands though!

bertie Posted Today, 10:46 PM

QUOTE(paulos @ Jun 19 2006, 08:21 PM)

where abouts is hardwick these days bertie? is it far from the old site?

Never been to new site yet mate, but know its somewhere in trimdon only about 4 miles away. Where you from paulos?

im from richmond bertie. ee these shoots, it takes me long enough to find them as it is, then they go n *****y move! :blink:

I've shot high lodge before and it is a top ground... did you shoot the high tower at all, some nice testing birds from top of there, especially the driven birds off of it in the woods. £5 for a round of 25 at my local.

Gibby

Gibby, didn't shoot any off the High Tower yesterday, but yes they are very good targets.

It varies round my way.

£10 for a small 50 birder, after work, but before the pub.

£27 for a very good (one of the best?) squaded 100 birder on a Sunday

The thing that varies the most, but luckily doesn't affect me, is the price of cartridges at shoots :blink:

I get a 1,000 or more at a time from shops so I am glad I don't have to tag that onto the price a of card each time we go out..

It varies round my way.

£10 for a small 50 birder, after work, but before the pub.

£27 for a very good (one of the best?) squaded 100 birder on a Sunday

The thing that varies the most, but luckily doesn't affect me, is the price of cartridges at shoots :blink:

I get a 1,000 or more at a time from shops so I am glad I don't have to tag that onto the price a of card each time we go out..

Stuart. I've just popped the last of my Gamebore XLR's. They were £102 per thou (10.2p a bang). As you say tou don't want to be paying £3.40 a box!

Dunno what to get next. Might go back to the Hulls which are a bit softer shooting. Had 140 clays yesterday and felt the XLRs start to lump a bit at the end.

I generally only shoot Sporting in competitions nowadays, and they generally work out at about £32.00 for a 100 bird competition, i.e. 32p per bird.

I agree that it seems to get cheaper the further North you go, but it has to be said that the quality of the targets, scoring and general organisation tends to go downhill the further North you go, so I suppose you get what you pay for..??

In answer to Nick's question re the cost of buying clays in bulk, in depends how many you buy, but if you buy in bulk by the pallet, I think you can get standard blacks for about £35 per thousand.

Cat

bertie Posted Today, 10:46 PM

QUOTE(paulos @ Jun 19 2006, 08:21 PM)

where abouts is hardwick these days bertie? is it far from the old site?

Never been to new site yet mate, but know its somewhere in trimdon only about 4 miles away. Where you from paulos?

im from richmond bertie. ee these shoots, it takes me long enough to find them as it is, then they go n *****y move! :good:

P.M me your number and i'll have a look with you one sun, i can help you find it!

In answer to Nick's question re the cost of buying clays in bulk, in depends how many you buy, but if you buy in bulk by the pallet, I think you can get standard blacks for about £35 per thousand.

Cat

Cat that's 3.5p a bird cost. Seems like some grounds are making around 20p a target then. I guess we all need to make a living. :good:

Cat

Cat that's 3.5p a bird cost. Seems like some grounds are making around 20p a target then. I guess we all need to make a living. :good:

It's true but think of the cost of all those auto traps, batteries, battery chargers, man hours setting it all out etc.

I was talking to the owner of a shoot near me that is immaculately laid out, with signs throughout the woods to your next sand etc, and he said they start preparing the site with his team on the Thursday before the Sunday of the shoot :good:

Cat

WB,

The cost of buying clays is the least important thing that a good ground will worry over.

In fact most grounds don't even bother to pick up the unbroken ones for re-use in the practice traps, as the labour costs in collecting them works out more than the clays are worth, (surprisingly..!!).

They don't generally re-use them in competitions as many will have hairline cracks and will break when launched from an auto trap.

Cat.

Cat

WB,

The cost of buying clays is the least important thing that a good ground will worry over.

In fact most grounds don't even bother to pick up the unbroken ones for re-use in the practice traps, as the labour costs in collecting them works out more than the clays are worth, (surprisingly..!!).

They don't generally re-use them in competitions as many will have hairline cracks and will break when launched from an auto trap.

Cat.

Makes a lot of sense Cat. Nothing worse than a load of "no birds" to spoil the concentration. I think the clay grounds do a great job in the main and they certainly invest a lot of money in top traps and equipment.