Help to Identify the Footprint Mink or Rodent ?

Hi Lads as the topic, Found a dead fish carcas round a fishery on my permission and im worried its a mink ? :hmm: the prints measurement was roughly 2/2.5cm long and if you agree its going to cause alot of headache, the fish that was taken must of weighed a good 6/7 pounds. :unsure: Tried to get the best photo as possible and internet pic to compare so what your thoughts ?post-20373-0-21003000-1328221089.jpg and again in an enlargment,post-20373-0-63401200-1328221137.jpgthe next photos are examples of mink post-20373-0-33150900-1328221268.jpgpost-20373-0-51813300-1328221316.jpgpost-20373-0-36582600-1328221364.jpgAny Help is Appreciated. :good:

Agree its your worst nightmare mate an otter, I have a lake in the cotswold which is mainly carp proper old english fish up to 40lbs in weight, the otters more or less cleaned me out in a very short space of time. We then spent 7k on otter fencing the entire lake around 15acre.

One of the members caught a guy red handed only last week pushing a baby otter through the otter fence. When challenged he ran off.

Most are hand reared and introduced by the do gooders and the antis! If people remember on their bill it was hunting fist then fishing then shooting!

The otters are a real menace they will destroy a fishery overnight.

The law is very clear on control of these its simple you harm an otter in any way you will be prosecuted! Legally you are not even allowed to humane trap them. Inform the fishery and do all you can. Its happening up and down the country and needs to be stopped so many people are losing their livelihoods due to these.

Agree its your worst nightmare mate an otter, I have a lake in the cotswold which is mainly carp proper old english fish up to 40lbs in weight, the otters more or less cleaned me out in a very short space of time. We then spent 7k on otter fencing the entire lake around 15acre.

One of the members caught a guy red handed only last week pushing a baby otter through the otter fence. When challenged he ran off.

Most are hand reared and introduced by the do gooders and the antis! If people remember on their bill it was hunting fist then fishing then shooting!

The otters are a real menace they will destroy a fishery overnight.

The law is very clear on control of these its simple you harm an otter in any way you will be prosecuted! Legally you are not even allowed to humane trap them. Inform the fishery and do all you can. Its happening up and down the country and needs to be stopped so many people are losing their livelihoods due to these.

As bad as the cormerant :sly: :sly:

Best way to trap a mink:-

Get a sheet of celotex (4 inch or 100mm, the thick stuff) and cut 600x1000 (roughly) get a cage trap and put it on the top, tie some string round the sheet and over the trap to secure them both together. Get some hessian and lay ot over the top, put some natural camo on top too. Put a tin of sardines, rabbit guts, mackrel, anything that smells and chuck it at the back of the cage trap. get a long peice of string and tie it to the bit you wrapped round, or to the back of the cage trap.

Float the raft onto a river or pond and use the long peice of string or rope to tie it to a tree or post so it doesnt float down the river, every morning, just grab the string, pull the floating trap in and check the trap, a very good feeling when the door is shut and there is a screaming mink inside, then deal with it humanely!

3 years ago we had a mink problem and caught 13 in 1 month using this, a very simple but effective method.

Cant tell from the photos but they look like 4 toe prints to my eyes hence not a mink as they have 5 toes similar to all members of the weasel family. Got mink today don't mean you wont have tommorow and vice versa. Best practice is floating boards with plastacine or similar on and a bait (not when its this cold though) the idea is you trap only when you identify via print or visually) trapping means constant checking under law and you dont want to be doing it to get an odd rat now and again. Dont fret on the fish front unless its a sensitive area the loss will be minimul in terms of fish stock, water birds and voles are the real victims. I dont see Otters as an issue on open river systems as they are very territorial and you need a healthy river to support them anyway, Having fished in healthy rivers along side them is an honour! If you dig a hole in the ground, fill it with water and stock it with food (fish) in an un-natural way on the otherhand nature can and will put things back in Natural order :good: For any who think that fishing might i suggest Golf? :lol:

Great replies lads and taken on board your comments :good: I visited the pond while the snows been down and could only find rat prints and fox :hmm: As theres a lot of dog walkers visit the pond area. But what is strange the owner has recieved e-mails offering quotes for otter nets for his waters :o , within the time span from finding the fish carcas to present day I thought rather strange :hmm: But is this becoming a problem for alot of fisheries and coarse ponds alike :/ Thanks again lads and if the problem persists will keep you all updated. Cheers Keith :good:

Edited by nobby63