Mice

WoodyPopper

in the farm grain store I had a bad infestation. Used bait, which they ate and wouldn't die.

Spring traps are OK, but once spring max 1 mouse caught.

I actually used a live mice catcher in the end.

Caught about 6 - 7 in one sitting. Then put the trap in a bucket of water for a minute or so.

Reset and carry on...

Caught loads and loads doing this method.

in the farm grain store I had a bad infestation. Used bait, which they ate and wouldn't die.

Caught about 6 - 7 in one sitting. Then put the trap in a bucket of water for a minute or so.

Reset and carry on...

:no: Don't know an alternative, but thats not nice.

They're called humane traps, ironic people have to kill humanely trapped animals cruely.

Edited by kyska

We get them in our garage. There's no food in there, but I suppose it's warm and there's plenty of places to hide. <_<

Discovered them last winter and got a couple of spring traps, which caught 6 last winter.

Nothing through Spring/Summer, but I got one again the other day. :rolleyes:

If your shed is a good habitat for them, you might find they just keep coming back, so it's just about controlling numbers really.

We get loads on the farm. I use bait and traps. I suggest moving the feed or put it in a mouse proof container like a dustbin. If you have a big bucket or tub you could try putting some food in the bottom and a ladder up the outside with a lid on top so they can get in but can't jump out. Then you can finish them off.

:no: Don't know an alternative, but thats not nice.

They're called humane traps, ironic people have to kill humanely trapped animals cruely.

I agree , Humane . This is so they can be caught and set free elsewhere , and not drowned in a bucket of water .

I actually made a big trap with a spring loaded door to let them in but they couldnt get out ,I caught about 30-40 over a period of a few months but each time the box got about 6-7 in I set them free in the cornfield , far away from the house I might add .

Daz

Well, that's twice this evening that the bait (dates) has gone and the trap hasn't been sprung. Obviously a cunning and/or light-pawed mouse. When I do get him, I'll bet he's a fat one.

I hate having to kill them but I guess I can't let them get out of hand. I'll buy a plastic barrel or something for the dog food tomorrow.

Mice will nearly always run along very close to the walls.

Place cardboard strips along the wall in short lenghts 12"-18"pour cheap golden syrup or even cheaper glucose syrup over the card board and leave.

The mice will get stuck to the board and very quickly die of hyperthermia, in the morning throw and or burn the board/boards with mice on and replace until you no longer need the boards.

Simple cheap and effective, you can keep on catching all night without having to reset traps.

Good hunting :shoot:

Well, that's twice this evening that the bait (dates) has gone and the trap hasn't been sprung. Obviously a cunning and/or light-pawed mouse. When I do get him, I'll bet he's a fat one.

I hate having to kill them but I guess I can't let them get out of hand. I'll buy a plastic barrel or something for the dog food tomorrow.

On my last campaign I found the first few kills were easy but the mice got progressively smaller and therefor not heavy enough to spring the traps. I shortened the release pins and had them set like a hair trigger. The hardest thing was slipping them under the units without tripping them. The anticipation of the things springing prematurely did my head in. Even though my digits were not in the way of the bar the things springing gave me such a fright on one occasion that I head butted the kitchen unit.

I found stock cubes were an awesome bait along with peanut butter and old stinking stilton.

I agree , Humane . This is so they can be caught and set free elsewhere , and not drowned in a bucket of water .

I actually made a big trap with a spring loaded door to let them in but they couldnt get out ,I caught about 30-40 over a period of a few months but each time the box got about 6-7 in I set them free in the cornfield , far away from the house I might add .

Daz

Always thought it was illegal to relocate vermin :hmm: :hmm:

Just stamp on them, job done. :lol:

Reset and carry on...

That's not a very nice thing to do (try it yourself and see how it feels), some time ago a bloke got prosecuted by the RSPCA for doing that to a squirrel.

Poison is very nasty too as mentioned, they may be pests but that doesn't mean the should suffer.

Spring traps are quite cheap, for what they cost why not just buy a few then you can still catch several at a time without the suffering?

Always thought it was illegal to relocate vermin :hmm: :hmm:

Just stamp on them, job done. :lol:

Yeah .........your probably right , but even stamping on them although a bit extreme , is a bit more humane than drowning .

I was advised to not feed the captured mice and let them eat each other , then let the survivor free and as it has a taste for other mice, will seemingly go out on a canable rampage .

Not sure how true this is so dont quote me on it as I have never tempted it .

Daz

let them eat the bait and die slowly from bleeding to death internally....

As others have said, its wrong, cruel and most likely illegal to trap and drown animals, makes no odds if its a mouse or a dog, we live in a 'animal friendly' society.

Even stamping on them is better, quick, humane (free from pain) death, as are anticoagulants.

And Bakerboy, you'll also fall foul of the law using sticky boards without proving without doubt that no other means are effective...

Jeez...we talk about clean kills on our quarry, don't go further than 30 yards with air...80 yards with .22, yet we speak of drowning trapped animals, sticking animals to boards until they die from dehydration, stress or predation...shame on you.

Edited by kyska

Yeah .........your probably right , but even stamping on them although a bit extreme , is a bit more humane than drowning .

I was advised to not feed the captured mice and let them eat each other , then let the survivor free and as it has a taste for other mice, will seemingly go out on a canable rampage .

Not sure how true this is so dont quote me on it as I have never tempted it .

Daz

I slap my forehead, drowning is humane, but to allow animals to get to the point they eat dead trapped animals.....how ironic.

Do people know the correlation between animal cruelty and psycopathy.