The REAL cost of a 12 Bore Cartridge

:o

Bornaghi steel cartridges are very good. :good:

I use them for wildfowling - better than Gamebore and the name's more exotic too!!

What's not to like?

I don't really know much about them other than they make a fine trap shell that Kevin Gill uses apparently. Only mentioned them as another poster suggested they have or going bust.

Miroku50, if there was no money in shells they'd all have gone bust by now, home manufacturers as well as foreign, they can afford to let sponsored shooters have 50k plus a year for nothing so they can't be on Asda value lines just yet.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are good shells. As for 'silly' names, who'd call a gun a Purdey?

I've said my bit.....if they can't afford to shoot, they should take up knitting. :rolleyes:

Well said that man!

the gun must have been named after joanna lumley,,i think :hmm:

MASTERPLAN!!

Maybe the chinese can dig up lead from the ground for free,use old newspapers for wads,process all the oil spills floating around in the sea into wads and cases,pay someone a hapenny a week to hand load them(saving expensive machinery costs!) pack em in bags picked up from landfill sites,then ship em over in hot air balloons (gas is cheaper than diesel and wagon costs)then air drop in collection points for people to pick up at leisure , (leaving the money in a honesty box)!All this would avoid massive retail margins ,vat etc .Ridiculous? YES!!! But so are some of the posts on here.

I can recall getting £3.50 a brace for pheasants 25yrs ago from a butcher, bet you wouldn't get a couple of quid now.

You can't always use historical prices as a benchmark because circumstances change.

Whats that old saying? something like "bang, up goes a shilling and down comes sixpence"?

Hampster , my first gun a larouna s\s 12 bore , cost £49.00 brand new in 1969, roughly 49 boxes of shells. Today a similar quality gun will cost about £400 new roughly 72 boxes of shells so the price of a gun with inflation has increased by 8 times the price of a box of shells with inflation has increased by at most 6 times. Quite the operssit of what you are suggesting.

You say “As I keep mentioning there are hundreds of things that are hundreds of times cheaper now than they were in the 60's.” . Thats true , but they are mostly electric products , the majority of products are a hell of a lot more in real terms a lot more expensive that they were in the 1960s.

You say “It was mass production and importantly demand that produced competition and thus much cheaper shells.” Do you think they were all hand loaded in those days. The basic proccess has altered little between factory loading 40 years ago and today. Probably the main change is the use of electonic quality control. But that is not enough to drop the price.

You say “There is absolutely no way you can compare prices then and now in a meaningful way.” Of course there is a way you can compaire prices in a meaningful way , by linking it with the past cost of living. You seem to want something for nothing , cartridges cost us in real terms less today that they did 40-50 years ago. You seem unable to grasp ecomomics here , it means the % of your income you spent on items

You need to realise cartridges are CHEAP today. Its true in recent months the price of raw materials has gone down a little , but it is unlikely to stay low and anyway the shell makers buy their stocks months if not years ahead so cant afford to drop their price on a wim of the lead market. After the Eley factory was blown up we had a honeymoon period lasting several decades when we had a large number of European and American cartridge makers plus a number of new UK firms competing for the wide open UK market all undercutting each other. During this period I stopped reloading as it cost more to homeload than buy from the shops. This could not continue some firms like Topmark , Baikal , Remington ( game\clay shells ) have gone to the wall or no longer find it economic to import into the UK leaving the winners to be able to charge a price that enables the makers to make a reasonable profit.

Edited by anser2

Five pages and STILL no-one has even tried to give an answer to the topic.

What is the real cost of a twelve bore cartridge?

How can it be possible to import a cartridge from Italy, or Spain and sell it cheaper than a home produced one?

Maybe because our producers have to buy their components from abroad, from the same people who are making the cheap cartridges :hmm:

How can it be possible to import a cartridge from Italy, or Spain and sell it cheaper than a home produced one?

The answer is 'they can't'.

How long before the 'good deals' from Italy dry up? Probably a cunning 'special offer'.

Edited by Floating Chamber

If the manufacturers cut price by 50% tomorrow Salopian would still be moaning they were to expensive - He moaned in the 80's - 90's and is still moaning today.

One major factor he hasn't dialed in is he squeeks when he walk's :yes: :yes:

Dave :P

Thats because most of the home produced ones are made from imported components. A lorry load of empty cases or a lorry load of full cases. Same price (ish)to ship over. probably cheaper to import filled cases. More economical use of the space.

Edited by Vince Green