Problem with a neighbour!!

BlueSheep

I do quite alot of practice in my 60 metre long garden with my TX200HC.

The neighbour 3 doors down came round earlier (just after my dad went out conveniently enough) and said that he had found a dead bird and that my air rifle was annoying him,

he said if i fire the rifle in his direction again (west) there would be trouble (so he threatened me).

A) I havent shot any birds yet (and might not)

:good: His house is 50 odd metres away in a direction i dont fire in!

What a gimp.

What should I do? has this happened to anyone?

BlueSheep

give this nieghbour a wide birth and try not to upset him as any police will take a dim view of discharging an air gun in a populated area !!!! :good::lol::lol:

Agree with Kirky.

In the worst scenario the swat squad could come visiting, and I am not joking! They love to practice, and they always come mob handed.

It used to be said that most people are shot with empty guns by mistake. Nowadays perhaps the swat squad and co are the prime causes.

Don

I do quite alot of practice in my 60 metre long garden with my TX200HC.

The neighbour 3 doors down came round earlier (just after my dad went out conveniently enough) and said that he had found a dead bird and that my air rifle was annoying him,

he said if i fire the rifle in his direction again (west) there would be trouble (so he threatened me).

A) I havent shot any birds yet (and might not)

:D His house is 50 odd metres away in a direction i dont fire in!

What a gimp.

What should I do? has this happened to anyone?

BlueSheep

Shoot the twisty sod! :lol::lol::lol:

Only joking, In life you will come across loads of people like this man, the best possible thing you can do is humor him, if you don't all he will be is a thorn in your side. :good::lol:

The only other thing i may add is revenge is sweet, there are many ways of getting your own back without breaking the law or have him know its come from you! :lol::lol::lol:

my flo said i could fire a pellet gun in the garden,i said what about the neighbours he said dont matter.my boys do it all the time.not heard any thing yet.thats 4 years ago.you can fire a pellet gun in your garden.

It all depends on your neighbours!

In this instance I understand that you are not supposed to let a pellet stray out of your garden. I am sure that the police would not take kindly to a neighbour claiming that a pellet had strayed elsewhere - even if this was a fabrication that you could not prove.

There are lots of stories of the swat mob descending mob handed after someone claiming that a neighbour had a gun - even if this was a toy plastic job!

Don

If you construct a safe target range, with a soft back and side stop area, to ensure the pellets stay in your garden, the only complaint your neighbour can have is noise.

That rarely involves the Police.

Claims of dangerously discharging a weapon in your garden, unfortunately will involve the Police.

It would be handy to have something positive to show them, if they come a calling.

I personally would rise to the guys claims and tell him to approach the police with the bird carcass and PROVE you shot it.

When the results come back negative i would ask for a full appology.

There is NO law against the use of an airgun (in a propper manner) being used in your own garden provided your projectiles do NOT leave your boundaries and you are not acting in a way likely to cause harm or damage to other people or property.

The bird most likely is or WAS a fledgling who flew the nest a little soon and either died of hunger/exposure or a cat got it.

If everyone who found a dead bird claimed it was shot with an air rifle your local police station's switch board would look more like a christmas tree.

Me!

I would ring the police myself and inform them the Neighbour came over with a threatning manner and was slandering.

LG

Although your garden is 60ft long I'd imagine it's the width thats causing the problems, ( as Mrs P is always saying to me :lol: ).

As long as all your pellets stay in your garden I can't really see a problem.

Many years ago I had a similair problem with a guy who ran the local pub, (now there's a conflict of interests :lol: ).

I had been shooting out of my bedroom window at an old tray in the garden and this guy reckoned he had a ricochet go over his head.

Anyway , he called the old bill and out they duly came, (one man in a panda two days later).

This guy read me the riot act etc, checked the place where I'd been shooting from and then did nothing.

Put the ****s up me though!

The pub bloke had some sheep in a field behind and I'm sure he thought I might have been shooting them.

That was 23 years ago and I don't think I've been unsafe since :lol:

P.

It really is annoying.

When people see a gun they are like - "Oh no, Im gonna get shot, think of the children!!"

When infact you could apply the above policy to a kitchen knife, use it improperly and its a lethal weapon.

Same can apply to a baseball bat too, but should we all ban baseball?

I think not.

:lol:

i had the same in my old house,the police turned up looked at the backstop i was using and all had a few shots!!

they advised me to shoot towards my house as i had a back entrance that was used by niebhours every now and then,i moved the backstop by my house wall thery all had another few plinking shots left and i never heard another thing!

Here in Northern Ireland you cannot discharge a firearm within 50metres of a road or public path. As here we need an F.A.C for all weapons including air arms and shotguns, we in Northern Ireland could not fire in a back garden unless 50m from roads or paths.

Would this apply in the rest of the uk ? Is this lads garden within the 50m boundary, or are we getting shafted over here ?

This topic brings back memories :lol: around 20 years ago i was plinking in my back garden.

Next door but one seen me :lol: a day later he came round and said i had shot one of is racing pigeons with my airgun ??? he had removed a pellit out of the so called dead bird :lol: my dad ask me if i had been shooting his pigeons, because this neighbour said i had, he then showed my dad the so called pellet i had used to shoot is bird :lol:

After calming my dad down i showed him my gun was a 177 and not a 22 the so called silly **** had showed my dad :D

My dad then told him to **** off and mind his own busines. :lol::lol: :o

In them days the police didnt seem to bother too much.

The good old days were did they go :D:):):beer::beer:

BlueSheep,if i was you i would just stay out of his way, he sounds like a right do ****.

Good look with your shooting

Cheers Ash :lol:???

Are you sure it is 50 metres? Over here it is 50 feet from the centre of the highway, if in consequence you injure, interrupt or endanger anyone on the highway.

I interpret that as "it`s legal to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway, if in so doing does not cause a member of the public using that highway to be detoured or feel threatened"

in other words, its legal to shoot if we don`t scare anybody, right?

I think the best thing to do is find somewhere else to plink. If the nieghbour does report you to the police, even though you may have done nothing wrong, it will still be logged as a "gun incident", and can only act as another nail in the shooting coffin.

The guy is having a winge as he obviously has nothing better to do. He's probably fed up hearing the rifle being shot over and over again. To be honest I can't blame him.

But from your point of view, I would have a chat with the FEO and ask him to evaluate your situation. I'm sure he will be more than happy to do so. As Cranfield mentioned, create a good pellet catcher and backstop with soft sides to reduce the noise and find a way to reduce the noise from the rifle. No point creating a war for the sake of it. If all else fails, find somewhere else to plink.