Decoy patterns

2 magnets and 2 flappes then just adding shot birds on craddles...birds are decoying really well to this for me right now on a few farms...i aint shooting millions coss there aint millions there...but what there are, are playing the game.

Tried all patterns in different situations and found just throwing them in all directions works much better . It looks natural , I have never seen a straight regimental line of feeding pigeons yet ? Other day they came in fast and committed to a messy pattern, also depends on wind direction and speeed and topography of the surrounding area .

I think they are used to seeing neat patterns over many fields , associated with shots and this then spooks them .

Tried all patterns in different situations and found just throwing them in all directions works much better . It looks natural , I have never seen a straight regimental line of feeding pigeons yet ? Other day they came in fast and committed to a messy pattern, also depends on wind direction and speeed and topography of the surrounding area .

I think they are used to seeing neat patterns over many fields , associated with shots and this then spooks them .

Same here,keep the pattern random and mostly facing the wind,make sure the rotarys are to the sides and dont have any shells with their tail in the air :good:

The trick is, if your pattern isn't working, change it. Magnet, flappers and bouncer positioning can all play a part as well. Just because a pattern works for me doesn't mean it will work for you and vica versa.

Have a read on nickbeardo's tips and tricks for decoy patterns and try to get an understanding what each pattern is trying to achieve. Then you can use any one or combination of more to suit your situation.

Keep a close eye on the birds and their reactions and adjust accordingly. And off course there are days when they simply won't play no matter what you do :yes:

I've been using two random patterns (FUDs) about 15 yards apart, with a flapper in between closer to one of the patterns and a magnet on the outside of the other. Birds have been reacting well to this over rape.

Cos

I notice that noone has mentioned the good old horse shoe type pattern, is this now out of favour? Tried it the other day and nothing....???

I wouldn't say it is out of favour, when there is a good wind this method can still be very effective. Even if you set up the decoys regimental this doesn't seem to put the birds off if they are playing the game.

good luck 2 weeks ago horseshoe worked last monday it didnt switched to a rough comma worked till it rained ,as your man says change it to suit your situation.nick beardos tips covers all the basics but if their very prone to 1 shot gone round here at moment :hmm:

i try to use a random pattern with little groups of about 4to5 deeks and a magnet out in front, i try to be about 2 fields away from the farmers banger and ask him to leave it on as this seems to work as a second gun, they come in 1 shot and there gone but then the banger goes of and they move back, dont get me wrong this doesnt always work so lots of time think of what to try next

What works one day will usually not work the next, its all trial & error, if they're not interested change it.I tend to put em out some facing into the wind others slightly facing left or right too the wind. Try and keep a dozen dead birds in the freezer and defrost the night before and use these as decoys.Prop their heads up using those wood barbacue scures (cheap as chips).I use 2 or 4 bouchers set at the back and sides at diff heights to replicate birds landing (have a rotary but never had much luck with it, probably down to me not setting it out right)

this year i have been putting the decs out in a very ramdom way on rape and it has worked better than even i expected,rape can be a right head banger at the best of times, this year i have travelled light and if i haven't shot a bird with in the hour i move to another field or go home cant be doing with sitting in a hide all day just waiting for the action to happen

I generally find that my default pattern of a rough horseshoe and a magnet to one side works for 90% of my decoying sessions. If it doesn't work, that probably means the birds have been overshot or they simply don't want to be there.