can you sit at a fox hole for a fox with a shotgun?

i have discovered a fox hole in the woods above my house so i was wondering if you can sit on an evening at a fox hole for a fox with a shotgun? a 12 bore 3 shot semi auto is all i have as i do not have a firearms cert. if this is possible what is the best way to go about it?

of course you can,best to be elevated though due to wind,the dog will be working so may pick up your sent as you have no idea what direction he will be coming in from

You will get many suggestions!

You may well wish to bait for a few days, could well help, get downwind with a clear shot and heavy cart, probably a BB, no aftershave deodorant fags etc, keep still and cross your fingers.

Odds are there will be 2, a bit early for the new family but sometimes the odd 1 or 2 pups from last year have not been persuaded to leave yet, they will be before the new family turns up!

You could always try throwing a few moth balls down the hole on a few consecutive days, has been known to make them leave, but they are homemaking for sure now, so will take some pushing out!

Lots more advice will follow I suspect!

Most vixens, depending on where about you are, will be holed up now ready for cubbing or could have cubbed. The dog will be out hunting. Different to usual practice(Get the vixen first), get the dog. The vixen will then have to provide. Get her, then clear up the cubs.

Shooting with a shotgun, totally legal, you will be have to be within reasonable range, and, as stated, wind direction and elevation are to be considered, unless, 100% sure on direction of incoming

If I was you I would put in a few days of work studying from a good distance away and work out the foxs routine, an hour before dusk would be my time to start take a pair of binnos and consider the wind every time your out, as said previously dont do any aftershave deoderants etc, but above all else take youe gun and be ready to use it as they have a habit of appearing from where you least expect them,I find that a good heavy load (50g) of AAA does the job realy well, baiting also pays off as charlie loves a free meal as long as its fresh, shoot a few rabbits, and lay them wheere you can get a good shot.

Another option is to call him into the lamp, I have been out some nights with no gun just to see how close I can call them in an believe me I have had them come in to 6 feet away and sit down like a dog, so you should have no problem, (with practice) getting him in range for a shot,but dont be tempted to shoot if your not sure of a clean kill as you will have a lamp shy charlie on your hands.

all the best

Tim.

If I was you I would put in a few days of work studying from a good distance away and work out the foxs routine, an hour before dusk would be my time to start take a pair of binnos and consider the wind every time your out, as said previously dont do any aftershave deoderants etc, but above all else take youe gun and be ready to use it as they have a habit of appearing from where you least expect them,I find that a good heavy load (50g) of AAA does the job realy well, baiting also pays off as charlie loves a free meal as long as its fresh, shoot a few rabbits, and lay them wheere you can get a good shot.

Another option is to call him into the lamp, I have been out some nights with no gun just to see how close I can call them in an believe me I have had them come in to 6 feet away and sit down like a dog, so you should have no problem, (with practice) getting him in range for a shot,but dont be tempted to shoot if your not sure of a clean kill as you will have a lamp shy charlie on your hands.

all the best

Tim.

Maybe so but don't tend to do this twice :yp:

You should be able to tell if the earth is in use, just by the smell. Put a natural 'tell tale' across the entrance of the hole, a piece of bracken or twigs, just one or two and come back the following day and see if they have been moved or not. The occupants won't move home if you keep your presence to a minimum.

Happy Hunting.

BTW I don't know where in the country you are, but if you are close by to me, I have some real heavy loads I could let you have that will do the business. :good:

Edited by Pointer

Has this fox done something to really annoy you. I personally could think of better things to do than sit at a hole waiting on a fox. It wouldn't really do anything for me shooting a fox leaving its hole then everyone has different ideas what they find sporting.

whats the bait and alarm clock trick? i belive that it is sport and also that foxes need to be controlled. i just happen to be one of those people that like to do so :D

It's something like this:

1. Bait an area with bait that can be removed by the fox.

2. Wait until the bait is being removed every night.

3. Get an analogue, battery operated clock

4. Tie a bit of thread between the bait and the battery

5. Provided the clock was at the right time when you started, the theory is that the fox will take the bait, pull the battery out and the clock stops and so you know what time the fox took the bait.

Being the creatures of habit that they are, you can sit out at the approximate time the fox is "due" and give him his last supper.

Never used the technique though.

Edited by WGD