pigeon rotary or flappers

Nath c

I think rotaries on the right day, when the pigeons are single minded and mullering a crop. are the right tool, they will bring birds in quicker than you can shoot them ! not that i have ever been in that position......most of us have to make do with the few pigeons we have crossing our shooting areas and i believe a well set area of decoys with a flapper and a floater, will make the best of what comes along, most of the PW boys have both, the more you shoot an area the more you get to know which works an what dont work !

Keep an eye on PW and see what the other boys and gals are using in your area........

Both are good, I think the flappers make them commit when they are in range but the rotary has greater pulling power if the birds are further away.

I use them on their own and sometimes both together, with plenty of success. If i had to choose either a magnet or a flapper for the rest of my time, i would choose the magnet.

Agree with these comments :yes::good:

I'm interested in this topic as i may be buying one or the other, any other opinions?

Another point. You'll find that most people that shoot a lot of pigeons, year in and year out, all use magnets as their first choice decoying aid.

Those that seem to shoot a fair few on this forum i'm pretty sure mainly use a magnet - the likes of Protom, Pigeon controller, Yickdaz, ActivIII etc.

Edited by motty

can i jump on the side of this post?. in the event of not having dead birds for rotary, anyone use air pro. what do you use.

I think they are a waste of money :yes: never once had a woody come into them, worked a treat on the ferals (although they are not difficult to decoy.)

I have to agree with some of the flapper comments ,I shoot about two and half thousand pigeons a year I'm out most days and still prefer the flapper .I have 3 magnets pinewood ones but still they are hit and miss too much.

I shot beans today had to carry gear and took flapper over magnet due to carrying all gear.the flapper worked ok but feel I like to get the flapper really low to ground.the magnet still is a great tool on it's day .I have a remote coupled up to my turbo flapper when I need the attraction I give two or three flaps and then leave it maybe the odd flap as they are approaching and then stop.The floater gave me the movement and the flapper sealed the deal.

Floaters with wind are also as good as anything.

I would say tho if I'd have got the truck closer I would have been tempted with the rotary or two so who knows if it's working for you on the day happy days.

Edited by roebuck243

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with some of the flapper comments ,I shoot about two and half thousand pigeons a year I'm out most days and still prefer the flapper .I have 3 magnets pinewood ones but still they are hit and miss too much.

I shot beans today had to carry gear and took flapper over magnet due to carrying all gear.the flapper worked ok but feel I like to get the flapper really low to ground.the magnet still is a great tool on it's day .I have a remote coupled up to my turbo flapper when I need the attraction I give two or three flaps and then leave it maybe the odd flap as they are approaching and then stop.The floater gave me the movement and the flapper sealed the deal.

Floaters with wind are also as good as anything.

I would say tho if I'd have got the truck closer I would have been tempted with the rotary or two so who knows if it's working for you on the day happy days.

really agree with that, i use the deeks, flapper to attract, and a floater at the edge....... :good:

Tho i like the flappers and now use 1 you will never beat the pulling power of the rotary on its day !!

I will never leave home with out 1 thats for sure the main thing with all aids is to be in the right place and if its not working to change things around :good:

Tho i like the flappers and now use 1 you will never beat the pulling power of the rotary on its day !!

I will never leave home with out 1 thats for sure the main thing with all aids is to be in the right place and if its not working to change things around :good:

me and my mate have used a rotary now and again, we used dead birds and plastic ones to no avail,the only reason we tried to keep on using it was on our first time out with it,4 pigeons were flying over it at a 100ft our so and suddenly they just fell out of the sky on to it !! we were awstruck with it ...then all the times after that nothing ..it just frightened them away.......

me and my mate have used a rotary now and again, we used dead birds and plastic ones to no avail,the only reason we tried to keep on using it was on our first time out with it,4 pigeons were flying over it at a 100ft our so and suddenly they just fell out of the sky on to it !! we were awstruck with it ...then all the times after that nothing ..it just frightened them away.......

Like i say its all about being the right place at the right time ,but really with a rotary its about putting it in the right place with the pattern and if its not working move it or even take it in for a bit or for the day .

Ive had more better days with it than ive had with out . Like all days for me its mainly about the work done before the day and with everything a bit of luck !

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that a flapper is brilliant when shootnig corvids,especially Jackdaw's, and a rota is a good draw for them too. The rota for Crows, is'nt so good, and a flapper sometimes helps provide a good sized bag. In my area, there are'nt that many pigeons, this is why I, and most of my mates concentrate on the corvids.

i would choose my magnet over flapper because on the day they can not be beaten for pure pulling power , i feel that people who are having constant bad results with their magnets surely must not be using them correctly ! and i also think that flappers are better for these type of people because they are slightly more forgiving where you place them.

Edited by Matt Gould