Seats

I quite fancy a swivel bucket seat as well, but being six foot odd, old and fat they do seem a bit like sitting on the floor and uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Anyone know of one that's a sensible height, 500mm+ ??

At the moment i tend to use a fold up chair, at least i can have a granny nap when there's nothing about! :P

I have tried just about everything that has come on the market, the most comfortable and practical seat I have ever used is this one http://www.ukshootwarehouse.com/?products_id=5786 .

I can use it on any ground,its height adjustable,has mud feet,a large seat area,is strong and sturdy, but not heavy to carry (has removable strap).

Mt gear gets heavy usage as I am shooting most days, this has certainly stood up to every test.

I have tried just about everything that has come on the market, the most comfortable and practical seat I have ever used is this one http://www.ukshootwarehouse.com/?products_id=5786 .

I can use it on any ground,its height adjustable,has mud feet,a large seat area,is strong and sturdy, but not heavy to carry (has removable strap).

Mt gear gets heavy usage as I am shooting most days, this has certainly stood up to every test.

Yes, I did look at those, sadly, for me at least, I prefer something that doesn't move about and however well you plant that it's not going to be solid as a bucket/drum type seat.

Always best to try out a bit of kit, before making judgement on it......... :whistling:

TEH

Yes, I did look at those, sadly, for me at least, I prefer something that doesn't move about and however well you plant that it's not going to be solid as a bucket/drum type seat.

The problem I have found with bucket seats, is that they are too low (and I am only 5'-8" tall), the scrunched up position for long periods made me ache.

They are also useless on sloping ground (which I have a lot of).

I haven't found this seat moves about, your weight keeps it stable and when you stand up, its still there to sit back down on.

Always best to try out a bit of kit, before making judgement on it......... :whistling:

TEH

Sound advice, but its not that easy if you have no Gunshops locally stocking this kind of equipment.

Game Fairs are good places to try things.

I have used fold up seats for years now and they do the job for me. One of my shooting pals had a swivel bucket seat for years. He used to get back ache because of no back support. He's now changed and would never get another bucket seat.

Friend of mine has one of those stools, much more practical as your semi stood up.

I currently use a cabellas bucket seat, but well invest in one of those stools.

A firend of mine uses a 25 litre blue (black lid) storage tub and his wife kindly made him a cushion to sit on. The tub also can be used to store nets and shell decoys

Great kit i have used one for years carry loads of kit

and cartridges nets decoys the lot altho i wish my wife would make me a cushion

I've got one of these too, the height adjustment was the deciding factor. However, in the light of my experience it probably wasn't one of my better buys. In the winter my permission is a quagmire and despite having side supports it still sinks into the mud and the seat platform has some tilt movement which I find off putting too, although I suspect I could cure that if I found a bigger diameter securing pin or used a nut and bolt. Plus points are lightness, adjustability and little space it takes up in the carry bag.

It's main use now is for roost shooting as I like to sit whilst waiting for the birds to come into the woods.

I bought a drum spin seat (made from one of the 25 litre blue plastic types) at the Newark Show in 2010 and I find the height perfect for me (6ft 1in) the seat padding has been fine given the amount of use it's had too. It lives permanently in my carry bag and the drum bit doubles up for storage space. A negative point is that you have to get the positioning right i.e. level otherwise it has a tendency to topple over - a bit of stamping usually sorts that and if I'm hard up against a fence then a bungee round it secured to the fence does the trick.

I use a plastic bucket seat, but the bucket is 39cm's tall and 33cm's across the top. On top of this I have a circular swivel cushion, and the whole thing is covered in cammo material. Its taller than any of the swivel bucket seats that you can buy.

Now I can get these plastic buckets from where I work. If anybody wants one, no problem. You'd have to pick it up yourself of course.

It'll just need cleaning out inside. They have been used for a water based ,non toxic ,food safe glue, so no nasty chemicals, and they clean out spotless, like new. Obviously no charge.

I have offered them on here before, but no one seemed to want one.

Mine was just covered in cammo material until I found a swivel cushion to add to it. :good:

I've got one of these too, the height adjustment was the deciding factor. However, in the light of my experience it probably wasn't one of my better buys. In the winter my permission is a quagmire and despite having side supports it still sinks into the mud and the seat platform has some tilt movement which I find off putting too, although I suspect I could cure that if I found a bigger diameter securing pin or used a nut and bolt. Plus points are lightness, adjustability and little space it takes up in the carry bag.

It's main use now is for roost shooting as I like to sit whilst waiting for the birds to come into the woods.

I bought a drum spin seat (made from one of the 25 litre blue plastic types) at the Newark Show in 2010 and I find the height perfect for me (6ft 1in) the seat padding has been fine given the amount of use it's had too. It lives permanently in my carry bag and the drum bit doubles up for storage space. A negative point is that you have to get the positioning right i.e. level otherwise it has a tendency to topple over - a bit of stamping usually sorts that and if I'm hard up against a fence then a bungee round it secured to the fence does the trick.

I did replace the adjusting pin under the seat with a tight nut and bolt, as I didn't care about folding it flat, this corrected the minor tilt movement.

I frequently have to set up on seriously sloping ground, edges of ditches and the like, this rules out a drum completely.

Also I do like being able to adjust the height up fully and almost use it as a leaning post.

I too had been looking for a rotating seat that was adjustable for height, got a "Stag All Terrain" from Cabella's in the states. it has four detatchable legs that fit in the seat for carrying, it is first class though not cheap. It is a bit hard on your a**e after a while, but a better cushion sorted it. 9 out of 10

Well, I've just got a couple of these off you know where, £3.75 a pop, I did worry they'd be heavy but weigh in at well under 2Kg. 50cm h x 32cm dia. The thread on the lid is so strong if you leave it undone half a turn you can use it as a swivel, taking the handles off loses quite a bit of weight and the lugs can then be used to attach any form of carrying equipment. Lick of paint, foam seat and a bit of fabric, job done.

!B6UcLf!CWk~$(KGrHqIOKioEy(rVd9eIBM)C-Ebzv!~~_12.JPG

Edited by JR1960

• 4 weeks later...

I use an old fishing Carp chair, not the lightest but all legs are adjustable and you can vary the height by 40cm.

Has mud feet also so you can get comfortable no matter where or what the ground is like.

Nice and comfortable when the shooting is slow :)

Little bit like the below, can't find the exact one as had it some time now.

Nash%20H%20Gun%20Carp%20Chair.jpg

Edited by baz