Under the influence

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think is supposed to increase the risk of mental health problems if someone is prone to it, rather than cause it outright.

If it were me I would probably turn a blind eye just keep a look out for any behavioural changes (I'd do that with anyone I knew who had SGC/ FAC anyway tbh), have a quiet word if so.

That said most of the people I knew who smoked the stuff quit when they left uni, those that didn't I lost touch with over time as they tended to become a bit boring to be honest.

A stalking trip usually means shooting on someone elses land and staying somewhere else other than in your own home right, so it has the potential to get you kicked off the land or out of your digs.

So if it were me I'd be telling your friend that whatever his mate does at home is his business and if he wants to come then for them few days he's going to have to leave it at home and if found smoking it on the trip then he will be asked to leave, the rest is upto him as to which he enjoys more. I would see this as not what the weed may do to him but how it could affect me.

Mike...

Nick I can assure you that most dealers are not like the one you mention! I personally think its irresponsible. Would I be reporting him I'm not sure but it's definatly irresponsible

I don't doubt there are nasty ones as well as friendly ones, I was just pointing out just because someone sells weed doesn't automatically make them a violent person, the same as just because someone smokes a bit of weed doesn't make them a bad person.

I agree with the consensus that smoking whilst shooting is a very bad thing (as is being drunk), but as long as its a separate thing I don't have an issue with someone doing either within reason.

I agree with the consensus that smoking whilst shooting is a very bad thing (as is being drunk), but as long as its a separate thing I don't have an issue with someone doing either within reason.

As the OP was warned about the guys habit I'd assume he plans to smoke whilst on the trip, otherwise why mention it ? Also, it can't really ever be a separate thing, if the guy smokes at home he still has his guns in the safe and they don't take long to get out. I realise the same could be said about alcohol, but alcohol is fairly consistent, modern strains of weed are many, many times stronger than the old-school hippy stuff.

jimmy , this is more or less what i was gonna say

A stalking trip usually means shooting on someone elses land and staying somewhere else other than in your own home right, so it has the potential to get you kicked off the land or out of your digs.

So if it were me I'd be telling your friend that whatever his mate does at home is his business and if he wants to come then for them few days he's going to have to leave it at home and if found smoking it on the trip then he will be asked to leave, the rest is upto him as to which he enjoys more. I would see this as not what the weed may do to him but how it could affect me.

but i know you and your background and i know your concerns , i would too , if it was me it would be a firm "if you cant leave it home , STAY at home "!

adi

When I was chasing the Scottish Mullet record a guy came with us who had smoked a joint we watched him miss take after take as mullet came up and took his bread off the surface it was as if he was operating in slow motion but it showed me how much it slows your reaction times down and that may be the differance between a safe shot and an incident. When I'm travelling in a car with guns I would'nt like to be stopped in a routine check they inspect the guns and smell cannabis search further someone in the car is carrying drugs the police would remove ALL the guns pending an indepth enquiry no thanks! I drink sometimes but I don't drink if I'm going to Drive/Fish/Shoot/hunt. :no:

When I was chasing the Scottish Mullet record a guy came with us who had smoked a joint we watched him miss take after take as mullet came up and took his bread off the surface it was as if he was operating in slow motion but it showed me how much it slows your reaction times down and that may be the differance between a safe shot and an incident. When I'm travelling in a car with guns I would'nt like to be stopped in a routine check they inspect the guns and smell cannabis search further someone in the car is carrying drugs the police would remove ALL the guns pending an indepth enquiry no thanks! I drink sometimes but I don't drink if I'm going to Drive/Fish/Shoot/hunt. :no:

good point :good:

As I understand it, a side effect can be paranoia - I would check to see if that is the case, and if I'm right I would be reporting it IMMEDIATELY. Can you think of anything worse than someone holding firearms who is paranoid?

If I knew someone in that situation I think I'd consider it my duty to do something about it, as not doing so could end up risking innocent lives if said person ends up in a mess.

The paranoia will probably be limited to imagining that his mate is talking about him about his interests and about to dob him in. How irrational!

I think this thread is getting rather pointless because we don't have enough details!

Mr Logic I am sorry that you think this thread is becoming pointless because there are not enough details. How much detail do you need to tell me what your reaction would be if you knew someone smoked dope and had an FAC? I can assure you as I have said I was not in any way thinking of dropping him in. Indeed I do not know the guy so I have no right to be making any judgement but I do have the right to decide whether I should go shooting and live in the same accommodation with him for four days.

I can assure you I am not a ******* puritan (why you felt the need to use such a keyboard manner I do not know) but I have a lot of experience and have dealt with many people who have used dope and have landed themselves in the Myer through their actions. I started this thread because I wanted to see what others thought if they were in the same situation and to be honest with you, with some of the answers I have received, I think that I am well in my right to decide against having him on the trip, if I so wished.

As I have said for the ones who have answered with their views without finding the thread pointless and reverting to pointlessly having to have their comments filtered, thank you very much. Magus69 and Adi what you have said is probably an option that I might consider. I will discuss it with the trip members and see what they all think.

Mr Logic I am sorry that you think this thread is becoming pointless because there are not enough details. How much detail do you need to tell me what your reaction would be if you knew someone smoked dope and had an FAC? I can assure you as I have said I was not in any way thinking of dropping him in. Indeed I do not know the guy so I have no right to be making any judgement but I do have the right to decide whether I should go shooting and live in the same accommodation with him for four days.

I can assure you I am not a ******* puritan (why you felt the need to use such a keyboard manner I do not know) but I have a lot of experience and have dealt with many people who have used dope and have landed themselves in the Myer through their actions. I started this thread because I wanted to see what others thought if they were in the same situation and to be honest with you, with some of the answers I have received, I think that I am well in my right to decide against having him on the trip, if I so wished.

As I have said for the ones who have answered with their views without finding the thread pointless and reverting to pointlessly having to have their comments filtered, thank you very much. Magus69 and Adi what you have said is probably an option that I might consider. I will discuss it with the trip members and see what they all think.

You've missed my point ENTIRELY. Or perhaps you haven't, and that is what concerns me.

Are you saying that the mere fact that someone has had ONE spliff would concern you to the point you wouldn't shoot with them?

My point was that to make a judgement, you need to know if the guy merely has the odd spliff or if he smokes it every day/week whatever. If the latter, then yes I might think twice. If the former, then that's ridiculously harsh, hence my puritan comment.

You see, without detail, you can't make a reasoned argument and take a logical stance. Therefore, to try is pointless. Since that is what the whole thread's been about, then it's getting rather pointless.

So do you actually have the detail? Are we talking about he smoked weed once at school and now he's evil? Has he been shooting while actually under the influence (if so, then I would wholeheartedly avoid)?

Edit - for the record I wasn't calling any one person a puritan or having a go at any single person, rather the sentiment.

Edited by Mr_Logic

i would just say im happy for him to come but its a shooting trip so no drugs as theres guns around and nobody wants accidents or lost licences. after all you may already be shooting with people who do, who knows what people do behind closed doors.

Edited by storme37

I go on fishing trips with some lads who puff some weed there ok in my books each to his own I suppose a raving drunk is more dangerous IMHO. But as stated nither booze or drugs and shooting (or driving) is good at all. Mind you I gave up both a long time ago.....

There must be plenty on here like myself who have never taken a drug that was not prescribed by a doctor . I was a young man during the so called decadent 60s and can put my hand on my heart and say I never knew anybody who took drugs, yes we all used to drink like fishes and a weeks wages was how many pints of bullards bitter I could buy . Yes I got out of that habit when I grew up and haven't touched alcohol for the past 40 years . Yes call me a goody ,goody but I had more important things to spend my money on ,like bringing up a family and putting bread on the table .

Jim ,I wouldnt have this character any where near me .

Harnser .