Tag watch battery replacement

Thunderbird

Well after seven years my faithful Tag is finally giving me the battery end of life signal so it's time for a new one. Battery that is.

I'm new to this and I'm pretty much resigned to having to send it off so was looking at a crowd called The Watch Lab. Any experience of this firm or can anyone recommend anyone else?

Cheers.

I should have been more specific sorry, if you just want the battery done any jeweller will do that, if you want the battery and seal you can get that done pretty quickly as mark has stated, if you want the battery and it serviced at the same time you are looking at over a month.

Pay your money and take your choice.

hi as a watch repairer I personally wouldnt bother with a service on a quartz watch unless it is starting to give trouble ie wont go with a new battery or is loosing time. generally with quartz watches (especially ones that use movements made by ETA such as TAG amoung many others) it is cheaper to replace the entire mechanism rather than service the existing.

If I remember right, there's a place in North Bristol called WatchWorks - run by old guys who know their stuff etc. I was going to have my Tag verified and serviced there, but decided not to bother in the end! So, I didn't actually use them, but they have a good reputation I think, and allegedly the high street jewellers just send stuff to them and add a margin on...

A service would probably cost twice as much as a movement exchange although which ever option they choose service or movement exchange you will just be told that your watch is being serviced.

Generally speaking swatches are the only disposable watches. As far as I'm aware they are the only brand that has a completely sealed back that cannot be removed although saying this they are now producing automatic watches ( which use ETA automatic movements) which can be opened and serviced. Alot of top watches like TAG use movements made by ETA. Generally a basic quartz movement made by ETA ie something with just a date and month and no chronograph will have a movement that would cost between £10-£35 individually with discounts on bulk orders. So rather than paying someone wages for approx 4 hours work to completely disassemble the movement identify and source any new parts required which includes doing alot of electrical testing on the circuit board and then re assembling and oiling the movement plus then having to test the watch for at least 2 days to check its working correctly. Where as a movement swap will take 10 mins and only needs to be tested until the date has changed over. ETA are the leading manufacturer of watch movements and are used in many top brand name watches including Breitling and Omega although they both generally use more expensive automatic movements some of the cheaper quartz models will have the exact same movement as is in a £100 Tissot

Edited by Jimbo999123

I suppose it probably doesn't need a service, just a new battery.

It's funny really, for the last few years it's intrigued me quite how long the battery would last. It's actually still keeping perfect time too, apart from the signal.

I reckon I got lucky and it came with a nice fresh battery.

Next question, if you strip out the £35 movement from a Tag, what's the cost of the strap, case and glass?

I would guess that these use really expensive materials or have a very high cost of production.

I am only guessing here :yp: its probably in the name, thats the expensive bit :rolleyes:

I am only guessing here :yp: its probably in the name, thats the expensive bit :rolleyes:

correct although the case isnt cheap to produce most of the value is in the branding

yeah goldsmiths will just send it back to TAG and add a charge ontop the cheapest and quickest place to have this done will be a local jewellers with a proper watchmaker who can change the battery and re preasure test the watch which should take a day or two at the most and cost between £20-£30

Edited by Jimbo999123

Next question, if you strip out the £35 movement from a Tag, what's the cost of the strap, case and glass?

I would guess that these use really expensive materials or have a very high cost of production.

unfortunatly not ive never bought a case from TAG but when a coustomer brought in a Longines watch that had cost him over £1000 and had bent a case lug I bought a new case glass and leather strap which cost a total of £97 inc postage and vat. this two had an ETA quartz movement