Split brass .22lr cases - Problem or not??

FarmerSim

Hi All, bought a cheap .22lr, a Lakefield 64B SA. It seems Ok, but I've had a couple of badly split cases ejected, and I wondered what folk thought?

Photo shows 4 cases, "1" is a minor (?) split at the front, "2" is an unsplit "normal" case, and 3 & 4 are rather badly split at the rear. Its these that concern me.

Should I be concerned?

For context, the two cases shown are from one box ( of 50 ). The splits are to the left of the firing pin, which is at 12 o'clock on the Lakefield.

TIA

Sim

post-42937-0-01801300-1334773918.jpg

Edited by FarmerSim

Headstamp looks like Winchester Super-X. Have you tried another brand of ammo? Could be a bad batch, but could be gun related like a headspace issue. If it does it with another brand of ammo, get it checked out by a gunsmith, if not take the ammo back.

Edit: The fact the base split is in the same place in relation to the firing pin strike, suggests its gun related to me. If it was ammo related the radial position of the split would be random in relation to the pin? It suggests a weakness in the chamber in that location to me. Is that where the extractor sits?

Edited by Blunderbuss

Thanks for the replies. Ammo is Winchester subsonic "super X", hollow point. Batch number is 1DBB8, made in australia (!), by Olin.

Hope this helps, I'm wondering if the chamber is worn out, and if I should email Lakefield for the proper dimensions, and tolerances thereof.. unless anyone on here has them?

TIA

Sim

Headstamp looks like Winchester Super-X. Have you tried another brand of ammo? Could be a bad batch, but could be gun related like a headspace issue. If it does it with another brand of ammo, get it checked out by a gunsmith, if not take the ammo back.

typing as you were posting !! Thanks, you are indeed correct!! - Haven't tried another brand of ammo yet - as was expecting the gun to be ammo fussy, so only bought 50, and have shot 30 or so..

Thanks again

ATB

Sim

Edit: The fact the base split is in the same place in relation to the firing pin strike, suggests its gun related to me. If it was ammo related the radial position of the split would be random in relation to the pin? Two very good points, which I missed before, sorry. Agree completely with both. It suggests a weakness in the chamber in that location to me. Is that where the extractor sits? The firing pin is about 12 o'clock, and the extractor is about 3 o'clock.

Sharpshooter.123:-

I've not had the gun a week yet, so I reckon I'll be ringing the RFD I bought it off, even tho it was "cheapish", I'm not happy.....

Thanks all for your opinions - keep em coming!

ATB

Sim

Edited by FarmerSim

It can't be ruled out completely, but I doubt it's the ammo. Especially as it's splitting in the same place each time, on a gun you've just bought.

As said, it doesn't matter how much you paid or the age of the gun, it's sold as a working item and it's up to the seller to correct it.

Try cleaning it (especially the bolt face and chamber face) then run different ammo through it - I doubt it is going to be a worn chamber (although it could be something else) - I have some REALLY old .22lr's which have done tens of thousands of rounds and the chambers are fine - it would take an awful lot (or misuse) to wear a chamber on a .22lr - I would be interested to see some photos of the bolt and chamber face.

Are you sure the gun is not a 22 WMR?

Mike

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I have attached a pic of the barrel stamping, post-42937-0-91646200-1334838030.jpg

and the chamber.

post-42937-0-09078200-1334838041.jpg

it is interesting that the pics show "marks" in the action better than natural light...

mmmm, there is also an "issue" with the bolt support rail shown in the bolt face piccie...

post-42937-0-78389000-1334838050.jpg

any and all comments welcome..

Thanks again

ATB

Sim

Looks like it was carved out of a billet using a hammer and cold chisel :lol:

Only kidding, CZ's aren't that pretty and they work just fine.

IMO you either need to shoot some of those rounds in another rifle, or shoot some different rounds in that rifle.

But as has been said, my first step would be to go back to the shop with the rifle and some split rounds.