Quality attic find........

Livefast123

The mother in law is moving house so I was asked to help clear the attic, being that she is a complete anti I thought the chances of finding anything sporting were about 0%. Imagine my glee when I saw a dusty sheath in the bottom of a rubbish box.

I pulled it out and and found a reasonably sized 'bowie' style knife. A closer look revealed that it was made by William Rogers of Sheffield and that it had a bound leather handle. Following a bit of cleaning I think it's come up really well and will take it's place in my hunting kit on it's next trip :yes:

Any tips for the best way to sharpen the blade or remove the blackish marks from it?

dscf8300a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Blimey, I had one exactly the same when i was a lad !

It was relatively small though from memory, not much bigget than a pen knife blade ? altho i know that they did do different lengths, its a proper traditional knofe and looks in relatively good nick, nice find,

I wish i could find one for my lad or better still for me........

From a bit of research I think it's the 190L, which is the smallest of the 'bowie' type with the 4" blade. Still it's a nice size to take out into the field. Had to be bloo*y careful handling it as both the blade + upper are sharpened.

It's a real pretty thing and i'm so glad I saved it from the dump :good:

From memory the loop on the top doesent do a fantastic job of retaining the whole knife in the sheath, i remember mine slipping from its holder many times.......

Blimey that was difficult to type on a public forum ! "i remember my little one slipping from its sheath" :lol:

Gillwell is the name of the Scout Assc HQ

Almost - It's a campsite in Chingford!!

The HQ(s) are in London (Baden Powell House) and Lancing in Surrey.

These were the box standard Scout sheath knife of the day - If you can get a blade with Solingen down it, you're on to a winner as the steel used was much better (certainly loads better than the horrible shiny Spanish ones!).

Still got mine and still use it.